• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Night, Arles

Wendy Thurman

I've not posted any images in this forum in the past but the recent discussion of Rachel's copyright logo prompted me to post an image I recently made in La Place de la Mairie, Arles. I like the image but I will say that using the lens it was shot with, Nikkor's 14-24/2.8G ED, is often difficult. This lens will give the user fits with straight lines; at any focal length one must be aware of camera to subject angle but the wider the angle, the more acute the issue. At any rate, C&C is welcomed.

A question to Asher et al- copyright information has been inserted with Adobe Bridge- can this be stripped from an image and if so, should the visual copyright Rachel uses be preferred?

WLT1987.jpg

Wendy

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Wendy,

I have separated your copyright question to another thread here, in order to be able to focus on the image in this thread.

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Wendy

I've come back to this a couple of times and may comment further later. This is a type of picture I really like, but I've not worked out why yet. There isn't anything going on, but the place is very present. The night light appears so different from daylight that it to changes the way we see the square.

Thanks

Mike

Alain Briot

pro member
I'd start by straightening the buildings. The tilt does not add something for me.

Then I'd stretch the top right building so that it is comparable in shape to the top left building. That will add movement. The black sky alone does not add something to the image for me.

Then I'd consider the color balance. It's very yellow right now. I'd see what can be done, or what.

I'd do it but CS4 is busy processing a large file :) right now.

I may also stretch the pavement towards bottom right to make the lines parallel to the bottom of the image. That will add a visual horizon and a levelness that's missing right now.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'd start by straightening the buildings. The tilt does not add something for me.
Alain,

That's always a question. As it is, I'm reminded of staying too long at a good restaurant, doing good justice to French food and the best wine then walking back to the hotel. Passing through the deserted square, one feels it's peacefulness but again the lack of other people is also disconcerting. That angle helps to give the right mood, I think. Still, Michael Fontana, no doubt might have presented it as you suggest and it would be undoubtedly agreeable too.

Asher

I like this image for what it is...a different look at a typical scene. Shot in daylight, full of people, we don't seem to notice what it is that makes a space. Normally I wouldn't notice the architectural details, the benches, or any thing else about the place.

I make images like this too but never show them to anybody and wonder why I do it.

Thanks for sharing your capture of what seems to be a very private moment.

Wendy Thurman

Thanks to all for the comments- they are valuable and appreciated. I've worked a bit with the color balance but Alain's point is well taken- needs more work.

Wendy