• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Night Time Photos on Folly Beach and Isle of Palms South Carolin

chi pritchard

I'm still playing around with my lighting I got awhile back. I had two couples that agreed to help me out by playing in the water. Work in progress!!!! CC is welcomed. These were taken on Folly Beach and Isle of Palms in Charleston South Carolina So, I was able to talk them into helping me out why I continue to develop my technique with lighting. Hopefully, this extra practice will help in my other shoots. Let me know what you all think. Thank you as always !!!!

013.jpg

web12.jpg

031.jpg

web31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm still playing around with my lighting I got awhile back. I had two couples that agreed to help me out by playing in the water. Work in progress!!!! CC is welcomed. These were taken on Folly Beach and Isle of Palms in Charleston South Carolina So, I was able to talk them into helping me out why I continue to develop my technique with lighting. Hopefully, this extra practice will help in my other shoots. Let me know what you all think. Thank you as always !!!!

013.jpg

Chi,

This first picture is super romantic. Good job for the setting. Having a great setting with generous sky as you have done, is a great plan. Let me be as harsh as possible, notwithstanding that the couple will love all the pictures!

I have questions on how you are processing. Is this digital or film? I wonder why you allowed just a part of a tree on the left; distracting. His face is turned away. The sky seems to lack good distribution of tonalities. You could process it separately than the couple.

web12.jpg

The couple are too bright and there's no detail in the clouds. I'm not sure that the log blocking their legs is a good idea unless she has fat legs!

031.jpg

This one seems too dark. The lower part of her also needs to be lit and the flow of their bodies should work head to foot. However, the flow of their limbs are jumbled up by the log. Her feet and ankles should show. Where they touch the ground has the potential for adding richness to your picture.

web31.jpg

On the left looks like a successful rescue in a film noir and I like it! The one on the right is a good idea and I'd crop the top 20% where it's just black.

A lot of work here! My ideas are merely where I would put effort. sort of my $0.02!

Asher

chi pritchard

Thank you

Thank you as always Asher. Part of my process of learning lighting technique is good constructive feedback. I actually didn't notice of a few of the items you pointed out. I didn't notice the logs blocking out their legs which I definitely should have. It's a good learning experience that i've only had 2 opportunities to work with live subjects. So, i'll definitely take your advice and hopefully i'll get a chance in the next few weeks before the water gets too chilly!!!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chi,

Don't wait that long! A shopping mall later at night or park might work fine too. The important thing is to take the pictures. One idea that you should consider is overpower the sun with a very bright flash and a ND filter on your camera. The sky will get really rich from the underexposure and it will look like a night picture!

Asher