• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon 1 J5

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Don't laugh. Its still a camera.
Mine arrived yesterday.
"Cute" Christine says.
I agree.
It almost disappears I my hand. It took me 5 minutes to get a grip of the controls and another 5 to get out there and shoot.
I'm back at last to waste level shooting. It feels like the sixties. The touch screen is brilliant, although I did forget to turn it off when walking about and have a few shots of my feet as a result.
What do I like? Everything. Simple, compact, solid in my hands, discrete, accurate, looks good, priced well.
It's a camera I can live with. Its a tool which will enable me to speak more clearly of places I visit simply because I am bothered to take it and not bothered by others who might think otherwise, like security guards protecting us against terrorists, mothers protecting their children against pedos and other the arty farty protecting their intellectual property from the itelectually handicapped.
What don't I like? No histogram that I can find yet. There might be one. I haven't been through the manual yet.

It fits in my coat pocket. The two extra lenses fit in the other pocket.

Picture quality?
Judge for yourself.

_DSC0023 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

_DSC0020 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

_DSC0047 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

_DSC0013 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

_DSC0061 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Lovely works, and it sounds like a really nice machine.

Welcome to the world of the 8.8 mm high format (so-called "one inch"). Now you can have the Four-Thirds, "APS-C", "full frame", and "MF" enthusiasts looking down at you (as well as on each other, in a wonderful waterfall of cascaded disdain).

What three lenses do you have for it?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congrats, Tom!

A darling camera and those pictures couldn't be better up to 8x10 or even larger with almost any other!

25 years ago, that would have been called a spy camera and availability limited to trusted allies at a ticket price of $250,000 or more. But then by now we'd have personal orgasmatrons and flying cars for teenage prom night!

The concept of fluidity in photography, where everything is immediately accessible to the finger tips and thence to deal of the mind has been the holy grail of street photography for some time. Still, masters of old did extraordinary work with one lens and manual focus and just 20-36 shots before changing the roll.

I use the Ricoh GR, fixed at 28mm but with a perfect 21mm supplementary add on lens, that is close to your camera in size and also not recognized by folk as intrusive or a danger to National Security.

I expect that your camera is much more versatile. But "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!"

For sure, the small unpretentious digicam is much more fun and efficient for picture-making than any our treasured HD-consuming monsters - unless one really needs exceptionally demanding and detailrich and large reproduction and/or limited focal plane imaging.

So, Tom, celebrate! Your butterfly wings are now dry!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

Lovely works, and it sounds like a really nice machine.

Welcome to the world of the 8.8 mm high format (so-called "one inch"). Now you can have the Four-Thirds, "APS-C", "full frame", and "MF" enthusiasts looking down at you (as well as on each other, in a wonderful waterfall of cascaded disdain).

What three lenses do you have for it?

Best regards,

Doug

6.7-13, 10-30, 30-110, all shared with my V2.
I've lived with adequately small all my life, Doug. No complains from anyone yet.
I've now been snubbed by the local photo group. People point at me and sneer.
"He used to be a photograph of some renown. Look at him now. A shadow of his former self"
The local self help group (over sixties ) have sent me an invitation to join their counseling sessions. There emergency number allows me to obtain support when tempted by the brochures from Camerahouse.
I scorn all of them!