• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No image, just outrage

Rachel Foster

And, since this is a photography forum, images of the Seder table prior to getting started. (There were two more place settings added before we began.) We had a full house, 18 people, and had to be creative in order to seat that many. The seat closest to the lens was my son's desk doing duty as a table.

smallsedertable2.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Seder Table

smhag1.jpg

Jacob Eliana: The "Offensive" Haggadah

Mike Bailey

pro member
Question for Rachel and others who would have a lot more experience with Facebook than I do: On Facebook there's usually a link that says 'report this page'. Does this mean anyone, anytime can click it and claim they find a page offense and in doing so causes the machinery of Facebook to simply shut down or disallow that page or its contents? Or does it just trigger human 'interaction' and 'judgment' that might be doing the same? If not, then censorship or manipulation by a very small minority, or even a single individual, would be possible just by clicking.

Mike Bailey

http://www.bluerockphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Rock-Photography/100527420759

Rachel Foster

It seems that it's an automatic thing as far as I can tell. If enough people report something it's automatically blocked (I think). I've not yet had enough people report my group to get it blocked so it must be a substantial number. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any review, so I'm out of luck as far as registering a protest goes. But I tried, and that is what matters to me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Does Face Book Censorship equal the "Lottery"

It seems that it's an automatic thing as far as I can tell. If enough people report something it's automatically blocked (I think). I've not yet had enough people report my group to get it blocked so it must be a substantial number. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any review, so I'm out of luck as far as registering a protest goes. But I tried, and that is what matters to me.

This is indeed a dictatorship of chance and the fringes. Everyone will enjoy this:

Jorge Luis Borges. Collected Fictions. Tr. Andrew Hurley. New York: Penguin Putnam, 1998. Pp. 101-106.

The Lottery in Babylon

"Like all the men of Babylon, I have been proconsul; like all, I have been a slave. I have known omnipotence, ignominy, imprisonment. Look here-- my right hand has no index finger. Look here--through this gash in my cape you can see on my stomach a crimson tattoo--it is the second letter, Beth. On nights when the moon is full, this symbol gives me power over men with the mark of Gimel, but it subjects me to those with the Aleph, who on nights when there is no moon owe obedience to those marked with the Gimel. In the half-light of dawn, in a cellar, standing before a black altar, I have slit the throats of sacred bulls. Once, for an entire lunar year, I was declared invisible--I would cry out and no one would heed my call, I would steal bread and not be beheaded. I have known that thing the Greeks knew not--uncertainty. In a chamber of brass, as I faced the strangler's silent scarf, hope did not abandon me; in the river of delights, panic has not failed me. Heraclides Ponticus reports, admiringly, that Pythagoras recalled having been Pyrrhus, and before that, Euphorbus, and before that, some other mortal; in order to recall similar vicissitudes, I have no need of death, nor even of imposture.

I owe that almost monstrous variety to an institution--the Lottery-- which is unknown in other nations, or at work in them imperfectly or secretly. I have not delved into this institution's history. I know that sages cannot agree. About its mighty purposes I know as much as a man untutored in astrology might know about the moon. Mine is a dizzying country in which the Lottery is a major element of reality; until this day, I have thought as little about it as about the conduct of the indecipherable gods or of my heart. Now, far from Babylon and its beloved customs, I think with some bewilderment about the Lottery, and about the blasphemous conjectures that shrouded men whisper in the half-light of dawn or evening.

My father would tell how once, long ago--centuries? years?--the lottery in Babylon was a game played by commoners. He would tell (though whether this is true or not, I cannot say) how barbers would take a man's copper coins and give back rectangles made of bone or parchment and adorned with symbols. Then, in broad daylight, a drawing would be held; those smiled upon by fate would, with no further corroboration by chance, win coins minted of silver. The procedure, as you can see, was rudimentary."

Read the entire translation of "The Lottery" here.

I wonder if fabook's lottery is as the Borgean text: "The procedure, as you can see, was rudimentary",

I wonder, first, how many people found the text offensive, --more than 1 would be strange an conspiratorial--

I called my mother in Nicaragua to say high and asked her what she did for "Semana Santa" and she said that she "went to the churches" as you are supposed to do on Holly Week (I don't get the idea of a bunny and the name Easter since in Mesoamerica it is all about death and crucifixion -and rebirth of a hero-). I was even borne on a Viernes de Dolores, or Friday of Pain. So, since we where talking about church, I couldn't resist to ask about the trouble the Pope is in with all the accusations of systematically covering up chain-sex offenders all this years in every corner of the world...

She found me talking about it "offensive" and warned me because I am in "grave danger" ... of going to Hell. Seriously. I am going to be punished for eternity while the children-sex-molesting machine cannot be talked about.

Yes, offense is a convenient feeling ...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wonder if fabook's lottery is as the Borgean text: "The procedure, as you can see, was rudimentary",

I wonder, first, how many people found the text offensive, --more than 1 would be strange an conspiratorial--

I called my mother in Nicaragua to say high and asked her what she did for "Semana Santa" and she said that she "went to the churches" as you are supposed to do on Holly Week (I don't get the idea of a bunny and the name Easter since in Mesoamerica it is all about death and crucifixion -and rebirth of a hero-). I was even borne on a Viernes de Dolores, or Friday of Pain. So, since we where talking about church, I couldn't resist to ask about the trouble the Pope is in with all the accusations of systematically covering up chain-sex offenders all this years in every corner of the world...

Not a word was mentioned in the Easter sermons at the Vatican. Just the Pontiff's private preacher accused the molested and the press of running a personal hate and smear campaign against the Pope akin to AntiSemitism. Of course, the complainants were offended that the offenders should claim such extreme persecution! The head of the Jewish community in the Pope's country of origin, Germany, reminded the curates that there had been, to public knowledge, at least, as yet, no plans drawn up for cattle cars to take away the priests and the Pontiff, so why all the hyperbole? Why not just deal with it?

She found me talking about it "offensive" and warned me because I am in "grave danger" ... of going to Hell. Seriously. I am going to be punished for eternity while the children-sex-molesting machine cannot be talked about.

Yes, offense is a convenient feeling ...

Leonardo,

I worry about whether or not we will leave a planet in decent condition fro our grandchildren. I worry about the delusions that separate otherwise sane people with good values. I am very upset by the shielding of offending priests in the name of the inner authority of the Church. This is a sad waste of innocence and billions in hush money that could go for worthy community rebuilding.

The encyclicals of Pacem in Terres by Pope Pius and Nostre Aetate by Pope John contained progressive new church thinking that really impressed me that the Vatican was becoming sensitive to the needs of the planet and various other groups besides Catholics. Perhaps as Rabbi Ehrenkranz spoke on Pope Pius's Encyclycal, this was the most important change from the church in 2,000 years.Source

I would just ask for the same accountability we have ever where else where children are at risk. The church needs revisit celibacy as one drastic way to pick a different kind of man to the service of the faithful. However, in Latin America, as you mother's response shows, there's strong resistance to criticism of the church. With the high birth rate enforced by doctrine, the church's numbers eroded by the failing Church in Europe have their losses more than covered. So there's no feeling of danger. This is no existential crisis for the Church. The LA Cathedral s full and the Archbishop stands behind his religious shield. Any episcopalian, methodist, Jewish or Muslim priest or teacher would be uncomfortably squeezing his way through a pack of TV cameras and Canon and Nikon flashes on their well publicized and awkwardly long perp walk to the police cruiser! There has not ever been a police raid to get computers and papers on the many hundreds of covered up cases.

Unfortunately, we are not likely to see any such progress in this Pope's tenure as he's oblivious to accountability in this one serious matter and that will color his Papacy. This is unfortunate since he stands to influence hundreds of millions of people all over the planet. Right now, that's being squandered. At the same time I do hope no one is offended by my upstart view on this terrible matter.

Asher

..."At the same time I do hope no one is offended by my upstart view on this terrible matter." ...

Asher I like your prose, it is so elegant, but I am sorry to tell you that you may be going to the same Hell I -and many others- will.

But I am proud to be there with you... LoL