• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Oh Nevada!

Jim Galli

OhNevada_small.jpg

We still heat our home with wood partially. The wood trips are therapy. No people, no rules, no nothin but silence until the chain saws scream. I could shoot a cannon in any direction where I cut the wood and no one would know. Or care. 4 trips so far this year. 2 to go. The wood heats me up several times before I put it into the fire place.

IMG_4200s.jpg

More therapy.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nevada certainly can hide gunshots where you get your wood.

The sky came out splendidly and trailer are really loaded! I would put up my tent, light a fire and sleep before heading back after all that work!

Asher

Jim Galli

Nevada certainly can hide gunshots where you get your wood.

The sky came out splendidly and trailer are really loaded! I would put up my tent, light a fire and sleep before heading back after all that work!

Asher

It's a good place for me because I love the isolation. I can do the whole trip in 9 hours, so no need to camp out. A shower and bed is better, with some good chow added in for good measure.

Will Thompson

Welcome back, Jim. It’s so good to know you are alive and kicking. That seems like a huge amount of labor, but it has to be really therapeutic.

That pano is superb, very simple and hopefully will make a great print!

Will T.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
That's pretty cool Jim.
I like the way you describe and show your lifestyle (well, a little bit of it).
In another life I might choose that way as of today we live in so different worlds! No one is better than the other, but so dissimilar!
I have felt a bit of the same while sailing away from land, far offshore for days and nights as the stars were twinkling and a nice breeze did push us forward. Alone in a world that one love to be intimately part of.
I wonder if your iPhone SE could pick up even the slightest signal but I'm pretty sure you just didn't care at that singular moment : )

Simplicity is a real bonus.
Thank you for this beautiful message.

Jim Galli

That's pretty cool Jim.
I like the way you describe and show your lifestyle (well, a little bit of it).
In another life I might choose that way as of today we live in so different worlds! No one is better than the other, but so dissimilar!
I have felt a bit of the same while sailing away from land, far offshore for days and nights as the stars were twinkling and a nice breeze did push us forward. Alone in a world that one love to be intimately part of.
I wonder if your iPhone SE could pick up even the slightest signal but I'm pretty sure you just didn't care at that singular moment : )

Simplicity is a real bonus.
Thank you for this beautiful message.

Thanks to all who replied. No prints, it was just a documentary pic to send to my kids. But Nicolas, the reason I stopped at all was because at this exact spot for who knows why, the phone lights up with 4 bars of coverage. So I always stop here to call my wife and let her know I'm safe. I cut alone. Kind of ornery that way.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks to all who replied. No prints, it was just a documentary pic to send to my kids. But Nicolas, the reason I stopped at all was because at this exact spot for who knows why, the phone lights up with 4 bars of coverage. So I always stop here to call my wife and let her know I'm safe. I cut alone. Kind of ornery that way.
Ah! LoL! Then I got it all wrong!

Jerome Marot

the reason I stopped at all was because at this exact spot for who knows why, the phone lights up with 4 bars of coverage.

We could actually know why. We would need to know what network your phone use and seek which towers are around. Then we would use a calculator like this one http://www.heywhatsthat.com to compute the path link losses.

Where does the wood come from? All I see on your picture is a desert.

Last edited:

Jim Galli

Where does the wood come from? All I see on your picture is a desert.

Coordinates4firewood.jpg

You could fly in on Google Earth with those coordinates. At about 6800 ft. elevation trees occur in our corner of the outback. The spot where I was cutting was 6863 ft according to google. It's an old burn that killed all of the trees. Most of them are tipped over at this point. Makes for easy cutting. It's 5700 where I took the picture.

Hi, Jim,

Glad to hear from you.

What a story, and great shots.

Best regards.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

Heading out again day after tomorrow. Wanna come?

Doug Kerr

View attachment 5836

You could fly in on Google Earth with those coordinates. At about 6800 ft. elevation trees occur in our corner of the outback. The spot where I was cutting was 6863 ft according to google. It's an old burn that killed all of the trees. Most of them are tipped over at this point. Makes for easy cutting. It's 5700 where I took the picture.

Thanks Doug.

Heading out again day after tomorrow. Wanna come?

Sorry, but I can't make it.

Best regards,

Doug
4547 ft MSL on my desk top

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You guys are good at extracting oxygen, LOL! I remember Tonopah, was hard to carry my back pack with my camera, tripod, film carriers and lenses too far from the car!
Here we are spoiled at 276 ft above sea level, safe enough from moderate Tsunami coming from the Pacific Coast!

Asher