• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am considering a series for an exhibition!

Comments welcome!

Asher

James Lemon

Comments welcome!

Asher

I like it Asher! Interesting elements and the model is a Star. I am not crazy about the boarder and don't have any suggestions but I would like too see some more feathering of the background. A series would make a very worthwhile project!

James

Asher Kelman

Thanks, James!

The border might become integral as we proceed.

James could have headed the entire Church but for one fellow!

Did you know that James ran the part of early Christianity in Jerusalem but Paul was the better Donald Trump of his time and took over, rendering the Jerusalem Jewish-Christians overwhelmed with fast-food Roman converts!

Asher Kelman

..,..I am not crazy about the boarder

James, she’s not a boarder. She doesn’t pay me, I pay her, LOL!

Asher Kelman: “Olive, B&W #1”
De-Bordered in Snapseed

Tonight you can already see it “sans border”! I will do it in Photoshop in the morning and repost

Asher

James Lemon

James, she’s not a boarder. She doesn’t pay me, I pay her, LOL!

View attachment 2856

Asher Kelman: “Olive, B&W #1”
De-Bordered in Snapseed

Tonight you can already see it “sans border”! I will do it in Photoshop in the morning and repost

Asher
Asher

The background still needs more feathering but you have added more variables to the equation that could be added later. Be careful not swimming too far off shore.

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

The background still needs more feathering but you have added more variables to the equation that could be added later. Be careful not swimming too far off shore.

James
Art has to be imperfect or there’s no room to think. So write to me.

Thanks!

Asher

James Lemon

Yea

yeah, more feathering.

What’s feathering?
Yea

yeah, more feathering.

What’s feathering?

Tom

Feathering is most commonly used on a paintbrush tool in computer graphics software. This form of feathering makes the painted area appear smooth. It may give the effect of an airbrush or spraypaint. Color is concentrated at the center of the brush area, and it blends out toward the edges.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom

Feathering is most commonly used on a paintbrush tool in computer graphics software. This form of feathering makes the painted area appear smooth. It may give the effect of an airbrush or spraypaint. Color is concentrated at the center of the brush area, and it blends out toward the edges.
Thanks James.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Comments welcome!

Asher
As always I'd like to see such image with colors! we are in the XXIth century!
Cowboys time is over (well, should be;) )

Also, that frame around disturbs me a lot… why not some very neutral, simple framing that would help to isolate the image from the wall where it will be hung?
Nowadays (again!) the art is in the image, not the frame!

Asher Kelman

As always I'd like to see such image with colors! we are in the XXIth century!
Cowboys time is over (well, should be;) )

Also, that frame around disturbs me a lot… why not some very neutral, simple framing that would help to isolate the image from the wall where it will be hung?
Nowadays (again!) the art is in the image, not the frame!
Nicolas, I have already corrected the file days ago but not posted it yet.

I just got that edge in a Nik filter, as part of the B&W conversion and intended to remove it but the curator liked it so I wanted to see the response.

Nothing to do with cowboys, you have the wrong address for that. Rather I like the style of some early 20th Century analog prints and in this set, uniquely, I want to show a different and distinct sensibility.

There will be another bigger series in full emotive and glorious rich color. But these are entirely different artistic structures.

You never did really like B&W, but to me B&W can be even richer than color as it lacks the emotional signals of the color that effects our brains. Without that, we are forced to look at the signals that are produced by gestures, shading and form.

B&W, (or just my B&W), may not work for you as well as color. That’s fine. I don’t work for any client other than my own eyes, although I am pleased as punch when any work of mine elicits joy in others! But I don’t expect approval!

So if the B&W doesn’t thrill you, be patient and I will deliver more than a complete compensation to your liking, shortly.

First I will deliver a monochrome series, then several in color.

Just that I am working on multiple projects, slow as molasses and am short on time!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I am a huge fan of black and white and I see Nicolas is.not....I love this model She has such a great expression and she does not have that cookie cutter look.. i love everything about this catch.....

Charlotte

Asher Kelman

Asher

I am a huge fan of black and white and I see Nicolas is.not....I love this model She has such a great expression and she does not have that cookie cutter look.. i love everything about this catch.....

Charlotte
Thanks, Charlotte,

B&W is a for where we train ourselves to add the missing colors from our experience, if indeed, we ever need to.

Most often, we can, without the energizing prejudices of emotive color, be more guided by form, texture, patterns and gesture each referring to millions of previous experience we have had in real life and in looking at art.

It’s like the difference between Romance languages and English!

Asher

Kevin Pinkerton

I do a lot of infrared photography, and mostly converting what little color that camera gives me, to B&W. I find it very refreshing when I take a color break and jump back into B&W IR. I feel B&W requires a different part of my creative brain section (whatever that is) to make it work and to tell the story that I see when I take the shot. B&W infrared has some unique characteristics that add even more on to B&W and can cause your brain to get really confused. In IR, clouds and blue sky are much different as compared to normal B&W and water reflections are also often in a league of their own because IR does not seem to penetrate water the same was as visible light does.