• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

On Chinese ZWB1, ZWB2, ZWB3 filter problems for reflected UV photography

Dr Klaus Schmitt

There are now more and more cheap Chinese "black" ZWB1, ZWB2, ZWB3 Filters for reflected UV photography on the market, but CAVEAT:

Read the full story here:
https://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2019/10/on-chinese-zwb1-zwb2-zwb3-filter.html

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There are now more and more cheap Chinese "black" ZWB1, ZWB2, ZWB3 Filters for reflected UV photography on the market, but CAVEAT:

Read the full story here:

Klaus,

This obvious “fault line” is both amazing shocking for a scientific product!

It looks like the temperature of molten glass was lowered too fast and was uneven in cooling so waves occurred and were preserved like a frozen larva flow by a volcanoes!!

I have only seen that on very old windows!

China has problems like this with QC. I know a company that routinely buys from China gear parts then re-machine the surface accurately to finish them off so meet tolerances!

But there's another serious issue. While major beating MFRs might produce some of the most critical bearing assemblies in China for Western markets, the supply chains also have numerous independant “producers” and the steel may or may not meet specs of the original.

In my sculpture, going your “Schott/Hoya ONLY” way, I sourced by SKF bearings from Austria to make sure they would obey the safety standards needed for massive public art structures.

China should have a standard of approval we could rely on for high tech critical engineering, pharmaceutical and other parts!

Perhaps they do?

For cheap plastic bowls and chairs, using recycled scrap plastic shipped from around the world doesn’t matter! But for serious science, health and safety they are still unreliable.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes indeed they have quite some QC problems in China!

Glad you chose SKF, a well known Germany brand making superb ball bearings since decades!

Asher Kelman

In fact, Klaus, the SKF beatings can cost 10 to 100 times mor that “Genuine” beatings with famous names sold through Alibaba from China. If one needed hundreds, then one could invest in destructive testing to select genuine parts.

As I am only in need of several long term reliable bearings to take the risk of major, (once in 100 years), hurricanes, I would rather simply waste an extra $$6,000 and have peace of mind. Either I have to be convinced that I am expert, or else I will “buy” that reliable certainty!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

My obsession comes from doing Radiation Treatments for cancer. One cannot just say,

“I will radiate the correct location now, at absolutely no charge! “

🤗

Asher

Asher Kelman

SKF, for Svenska Kullagerfabriken, is Swedish.
Thanks for the detail.

...and I thought they were Austrian!

I prefer German as they have faced history honestly, while Austria considers they were “victims” like Holland, Belgium, Denmark and France!

But I do trust all these countries for QC in engineering standards. There is a European sense of pride in workmanship.

Asher