• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

One from the old shoebox full of long forgotten pictures

Cem_Usakligil

Here is a photo of mine from almost 20 years ago taken on Ektachrome (elite 400 probably, I did not unmount the slide from the frame to check). I have a print of it hanging on a wall somewhere since it is one of my wife's personal favorites. A couple of days ago I have suddenly discovered the shoebox wherein the original slide was located and jumped high in the air with excitement. :)

So this morning I have scanned it using my Canon FS4000US dedicated film scanner and the VueScan Pro at 4000dpi. Unfortunately, there were a lot of dust speckles on the film surface which I could not get rid of by dusting off thoroughly. Also, the grain is quite prominent as is usual with film. Nevertheless, I have imported the scan into PS CS4 using ACR to process the "dng" tiff generated by the VueScan. In ACR, I have done some luma/chroma noise reduction and boosted clarity but practically nothing else. In CS4, I have first capture sharpened using Focus Magic. After that I have played with contrast and levels a bit. Then I have flattened the image and applied Gaussian blur using a diameter of 1.5 pixels. After that I have resized the image to 20% of it's original size. Then, I have reapplied Focus Magic for output sharpening. Set the color profile to sRGB and 8bit and saved for the web. Here is how it looks, what do you think?

women_knit_2.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

Mike Shimwell

Cem, it's wonderful. I'd love to see a print of this.

I've got a box of about 1,000 kodachrome slies from a trip to southern and east africa in 1995, which I've determined to dig out of the loft and start looking at again in the next few weeks.

Digital is giving new life to our past, eh!

Mike

Ken Tanaka

pro member
An engaging, placid image, Cem. Those women seem to be organic parts of those stones. I expect to see their hands move as they work on their crafts.

It would make a very good starting point for a "Develop This Image" derby.

fahim mohammed

Cem, the image has life. It has depth. I feel I can reach out and touch the stones. Lovely.

Although I use digital most these days, it is with sorrow that I leave my film cams behind me.

Best.

Cem_Usakligil

An engaging, placid image, Cem. Those women seem to be organic parts of those stones. I expect to see their hands move as they work on their crafts.

It would make a very good starting point for a "Develop This Image" derby.
Hi Ken,

A wonderful idea. It is a very challenging scan with a lot of grain and noise in it. Also on the soft side as well. Not mentioning the color hues and the saturation. I'd be glad to turn this into a challenge if there is a demand for it.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, the image has life. It has depth. I feel I can reach out and touch the stones. Lovely.

Although I use digital most these days, it is with sorrow that I leave my film cams behind me.

Best.
Thanks Fahim. I share the sentiments. I still have my film gear but do not shoot with it any longer. Scanning and PP of analog are such time consuming tasks.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

...It would make a very good starting point for a "Develop This Image" derby...

...A wonderful idea. It is a very challenging scan with a lot of grain and noise in it. Also on the soft side as well. Not mentioning the color hues and the saturation. I'd be glad to turn this into a challenge if there is a demand for it....
Hi Ken,

Unfortunately there hasn't been any demand for this challenge. Considering the fact that many members are accomplished PS users and are also interested in film, I did not expect this to be honest. Well, no harm done, life goes on :).

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Cem,

This picture is really worthy of more work and ideas. It's already impressive but the transforming of what's embedded to something that is outstanding can be influenced by so many creative and valid choices. I for one commit to working on this wonderful picture. I'll ask Sean about how we hows this in our web spaces. Or else you can send the post to yourself by YouSendit.com and give us the URL. This deserves a drum scan. Everyone should end up with a full size PSD file to send to you if you so request.

Let's do it!

Asher

Asher