• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

One More Round...Lord, Let Me Have Just One More Round (Shamelessly stolen from the movie, Hacksaw Ridge)

Chris Calohan

While it may seem like not such a good idea to train young men and women in the fine art of Boxing at a young age (13 and up at this club), there is a good side to the art. They learn balance; how to channel their aggression; they learn discipline and I think most importantly, they learn how to treat their bodies and minds with respect.

one-more-round-bw.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
While it may seem like not such a good idea to train young men and women in the fine art of Boxing at a young age (13 and up at this club), there is a good side to the art. They learn balance; how to channel their aggression; they learn discipline and I think most importantly, they learn how to treat their bodies and minds with respect.
Everything you said is true and was true for hundreds of years.

However we now have shocking long term sequelae. Each blow inflames the brain and as it heals scars take the place of brain connections!

So, given what we now know about damage to the brain and what it did to Mohammed Ali, it’s time to rethink this!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now to the exceptional picture. It shows the great care in protecting the boys face and head.

B62F101A-9335-48C3-9C3F-8792A321BCF2.jpeg

But it’s the expression that speaks to us of exhaustion, disappointment but stick-with-it-ness!

Chris Calohan

For the most part, at least until they are much older, they discourage blows to the head and the gloves they use are pretty soft. Always here, they match boys or girls to both size and weight as well as skill level to try to avoid the dangers of brain trauma. All sports, save perhaps swimming, have potential danger to the head. Frankly, I'd probably want to take a hit from Ali than a hockey puck which can travel at speeds higher than a 140mph.

Asher Kelman

Yes the care taken is impressive and reassuring.

But seriously, from the medical point of view, American football and English Rugby Football by their scale, are engines for serious brain injury. Soccer, by contrast is a pretty safe sport and just as exciting!

Some sports obviously need to evolve, keeping the thrills, but reducing the spills!

Asher

Asher