• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

opposites

james sperry

shellshdrcopy-1.jpg

first, i have to apologize if you see a little bit of your style in this image. i mean it only in respect and envy as i have been studying several styles in this forum.

second, this is my first hdr image and once again i apologize for the photomatix ( which is extremly annoying) text all over the image. i downloaded the software to see if it was something that i really wanted to get involved with, and i haven't purchased the rights to use it (yet). i really didn't do any editing, it was more like ... upload the images and push the button to merge. i've just read so much about the hdr images and it seems like there are a little more people that aren't that impressed with the over-done hdr images..... so i just left it at the presets.

so, i'm back on the chopping block to see if i have learned anything :) .

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi James,

Just to start of cleanly, here's your image, everyone note that you need to pay for a copy of the software, but for discussion purposes only:

James_Sperry_shellshdrcopy-logoedited_AK.jpg

James Sperry "Opposites"

Now folk can discuss this. I find that shells have an endless fascination for us. There's also infinite room to have your own ideas even after others have produced excellent work you admire.

I'd like to ask who's style are you referring to? I don't see any style I can recall. Also what is meant by the title as I don't immediately see "opposites"? But do you also may have specific questions for us?

The composition and coloring is pleasing to me. The shading and gentle fall of of light on the lower horizontal shell is effective and helps to give this a sense of being.

I usually prefer more of that and a totally black background blocks that possibility. I'll give more comments later on.

Thanks for sharing,

asher

james sperry

I'd like to ask who's style are you referring to? I don't see any style I can recall. Also what is meant by the title as I don't immediately see "opposites"? But do you also may have specific questions for us?

ok, style may be the wrong word again (i had quite a bit to drink last night when i shot and posted this), inspiration probably would have been a better route :) ...... well, there are 4 photographers that inspired me to shoot this
1. brian lowe
2. james newman
3. cem usakligil
4. asher kelman
the title .... well, i tried to get an angle where the lines on the shells were either straight or symetricly round, white shells on black background and then one odd-ball shell. and then, in case you haven't noticed, a lot of my themes are based off of life experiences ;) .

The composition and coloring is pleasing to me. The shading and gentle fall of of light on the lower horizontal shell is effective and helps to give this a sense of being.

well, the compostion is based off of the works of cem and yourself.

Thanks for sharing,

asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James,

Now I like it even more! I was going to mention that even before your kind remarks. Overlapping, offering, containing, protecting, family and balance come to mind. In a way this recapitulates, albeit with cold precision, the huddling together of the sea lions in Mike Spinak's impressive photographs.

Asher

I am both bewildered and honored that my name popped up at all on any discussion related to style or inspiration. Then I read where you had "quite a bit to drink last night..." and it made a little more sense:) Seriously though, I am happy to have been mentioned in any way. At the suggestion of others, I keep working with mine and experimenting with all sorts of different strategies to come up with something that pleases me. I have not tried any HDR imaging with shells so you too have inspired me to perhaps see what I can come up with along those lines. The Photomatix is great by the way and you probably would not be dissatisfied if you purchased it.

Your image, quite unique and different, is a very nice study that catches my eye in a number of ways. Most notably is the color or apparent surface finish or texture to your shells. They look mettalic and brilliant. I wonder if that is from the HDR software, your lighting, PP, or just a combination of all of those things. They have that mother of pearl sort of look to them that you see in a lot of different shells. I have always liked anything ordered and natural such as these shells. Their curves and angles and the overall structure of them is just exactly the way they should be. Chaos has its place in our world too and can sometimes be very enjoyable to examine but for me, nature, and all of it's splendor and perfection just cannot be beat. I wish we could solve our housing crisis like the inhabitants of these great structures are able to. They are conservative yet stylish and serve their purpose precisely.

The only thing that I might like to see differently, and it's of course subjective and a personal thing, is maybe not to have them quite so centered in the frame. If they were cropped a little tighter on the left side and had more open area on the right, it looks like it may give more room for movement.

James Newman

james sperry

lol........ i had a lot to drink when i originally shot the image and posted. friday was not a good day for me so i needed a little more of a release than just a dose of photography. but i was stone sober when i replied to asher :) .

i was thinking about cropping it also, so now that you mentioned it, i think i will. thanks for your comments on the photo :) .

lol....... well, if you try to do some hdr imaging, maybe we could work together to figure the program out.... lol.

james sperry

hello james.
sorry it took so long to get back to you with the rework on this. i tend to forget things and somebody reminded me of this today ....
but, i'm having some difficulty on figuring out EXACTLY which part of the subject should be on the 1/3 line ( in all my images). while i have only read about this and practiced on my own, up until recently. but if you could offer me some advice again on how you feel about this, i would be greatful :) .

James_Sperry_shellshdrcopy-logoedit.jpg

All I was saying is that sometimes, a little alteration or change in the way you crop a photo or the way you place a subject in the frame, can go a long way in how the photo is received by the viewer. To me anyway, your beautiful shells were constrained and it was somewhat disconcerting or uncomfortable for me to see them that way. This is all I am talking about, how a very small amount of space added seems to give the photo more openness or movement. For whatever reason, which I am absolutely sure the good people of this forum can explain, I find this differently cropped version more appealing to my eye.

James_Sperry_shellshdrcopy-logoedit.jpg

original photo (C) James Sperry "Opposites" edited only to add a different cropping aspect

james sperry

sweeeeeeeeeet! i like that!!! it's strange though, your the second to show me "adding to an image" instead of cropping away. thanks james, i have to get out of the habit of assuming it will need cropping.