• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Out of the Blues

I've finally gotten round to posting some of my live images. I thought about it when this sub-forum opened but never quite got round to it then.

I've been doing this sort of thing for about 30 years, on and off and it's a whole new world of different opportunities now.

MRF_9693-44-127-129-130.jpg

First we have Diunna Greenleaf, from Texas, playing at the Narooma Blues Festival in October 2009.

10M_1857-Edit-46.jpg

This is Mal Eastick, a great Australian Blues guitartist playing at what was in effect a private Blues Festival in norther New South Wales at the beginning of the year.

10M_6222-Edit.jpg

Here we have Canadian guitarist Wolf Mail, caught in the moment at the Bateman's Bay Blues Festival just over a month ago.

10S_1334-Edit.jpg

Finally this is 18-year old drummer Callum Cramer, playing with West Australian band Blue Shaddy, also at the 2010 Bateman's Bay Blues Festival.

Regards,
Murray

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Murray,

You have succeeded so well in such a difficult endeavor, finding moments that can be engraved in time for us. Each presents a crafted presence that immediately evoke hours of memories.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Finally this is 18-year old drummer Callum Cramer, playing with West Australian band Blue Shaddy, also at the 2010 Bateman's Bay Blues Festival.

10S_1334-Edit.jpg

Murray,

Drummers are perhaps the hardest to capture as they are surrounded with a battlefield array of gear and often to one side and less well lit. You have found a rare point of view and composed an image that put's us next to you in that beat and frenzy. How you caught the tip is remarkable! It seems like the very end of a stick!

Then I realized it was only a symbol of a tip, the edge of a cymbal! That's how fiery your picture is!

Asher

Yes, Asher, drummers can be difficult. Often they're obscured behind the band as well as behind their equipment. Finding the right moment can be counter-intuitive because you usually have to photograph against the beat to get their drumsticks in the air.

Getting the right balance of shutter speed can be tricky, too. Too fast and it may look static; too slow and everything may be blurred. The image here looks like a really slow shutter speed from the hands and sticks while his face is both animated and reasonably sharp. The reason for this is that the shutter speed is not all that slow and he's going for it like a hummingbird on steroids.

Regards,
Murray

Asher Kelman

I've finally gotten round to posting some of my live images. I thought about it when this sub-forum opened but never quite got round to it then.

I've been doing this sort of thing for about 30 years, on and off and it's a whole new world of different opportunities now.

First we have Diunna Greenleaf, from Texas, playing at the Narooma Blues Festival in October 2009.

Murray Foote: Diunna Greanleaf
The Naroona blues Festival]
October 2009

Murray,

This picture shows her humanity and straightforwardness as a human being and singer. You have made a good portrait.

She reminds me of Bessie Smith, one of the great icons of blues music. What songs did Diunna sing? The blues for blacks in the USA was a genuine grass level movement representing the uphill climb against the powerful forces of poverty, inequality and the struggle to find a mate honest, sober, free and good enough to cook the turkey and stir the beans!

Bessie Smith and Leddy Headbetter, Leadbelly where some of the most important influences for all blues singers who followed.

I have heard some of her work on You Tube and she could benefit from a great mixing studio to get her voice stronger above the musicians behind her. I'll have to find a recoding.

Asher

Asher

She's a great performer, with the sort of natural charisma that commands the whole audience. I don't remember what songs she was singing, the image is from last year's Festival not last month's. Also, although I have access to the edge of the stage this shot (as with many others) was taken from in the crowd. The best place to come in and get an image is often in front of the speakers, where the crowd is thinner for obvious reasons. This in turn requires wearing heavy duty customised ear plugs so the ironic thing is that although I'm there because I appreciate the music, concentrating on the images and wearing earplugs much of the time means I don't appreciate the music as much as I might.

I presume you noticed the link I included for each musician. Diunna's goes to her "Music" page though I didn't appreciate how brief the clips are there. On her "Products" page there are links to two of her CDs.

Regards,
Murray

Thanks very much, Rachel.

I hadn't encountered Joe Bonamassa though I just listened to a couple of clips online.

Regards,
Murray

fahim mohammed

Regards,
Murray

Murray, enjoyed the entire series. This one really stands out.

Excellent.

Regards.