• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

OVF choices for GX100

Chris Kresser

Thanks to Sean and other folks here and elsewhere, I've decided to go for the GX100. I also want to use an optical viewfinder (more than one, eventually) with it. I'm considering the following three and I'd like to get feedback from anyone who has used them:

1. Voigtlander 28/35 mini
2. Voigtlander 35
3. Ricoh GV-2

The advantage to the GV-2 is that it's made for the 4:3 aspect ratio, which I like a lot. None of the others will work well if I shoot in 4:3. However, I'll be limited to 28mm "permanently" if I shoot in 4:3 since the Ricoh GV-1 and GV-2 are the only OVFs made for that aspect ratio (that I know of).

The Voigtlander 28/35 appeals because then I have a VF for both the 28 and 35 setting on the GX100, which are two focal lengths I imagine I'll use a lot. It is also very small, from what I can tell, which could be both an advantage (compact travel kit) and disadvantage (hard to see through?)

The Voigtlander 35 seems pretty straightforward. If I had to choose one focal length for a VF (which I do right now because of budget), this would be it. Seems larger than the 28/35 and perhaps easier to see through?

Thanks for your comments,
Chris

Jeff Jacques

Chris,
I looked at the 28/35 VT OVF for my DP-1, I found it to be rather uncomfortable to use.
It's rather small and low profile, which is initially attractive. But I find it to be rather dark and small when compared to the full sized VT 28mm OVF. I have no experience with the others so I shan't comment.
Cheers,
j

Chris Kresser

Thanks, Jeff. That's exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. I feared the 28/35 might be a bit too dark, especially when compared to a full-size 28 or 35 VF.

I'm planning to do what Sean suggested in his review (get the 25, 35, 50 & 75 VFs), but it's going to take me a while. 35 is first, and either the 25 or 50 after that. I was hoping to "kill two birds with one stone" with the 28/35, but in reality after 35 (my favorite FL) I'll probably end up using 24 more than 28.

Jeff Jacques

Chris,
a pleasure to share my experience.
I would just add that I looked at all the available 28mm OVFs when choosing and that the VT
was far and away the best value for the dollar. While the Leica aND Ziess were really very nice, bright and sharp their price points were frightening.
Can't speak to the Ricoh, but the VT finders are very nice.
Cheers
J

Sean Reid

Chris,

You'll end up seeing the subject more clearly (larger view, less frame line confusion) with that CV 35 finder. That would have been my choice too. The best, from a technical perspective, are the current Zeiss OVFs but they certainly are not cheap.

Jeff,

Did you mean CV when you wrote VT? As a resident of VT I'm pleased with that association. <G>

Cheers,

Sean

CV or VT

The association is straightforward -- the VoigTlaender viewfinders are abbreviated as VT. Now what can we use MA, NH and ME for?

scott

Jeff Jacques

Chris,

You'll end up seeing the subject more clearly (larger view, less frame line confusion) with that CV 35 finder. That would have been my choice too. The best, from a technical perspective, are the current Zeiss OVFs but they certainly are not cheap.

Jeff,

Did you mean CV when you wrote VT? As a resident of VT I'm pleased with that association. <G>

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,
as Scott pointed out for me VT=Voigtlander, I dropped the Cosina.
j

Mike Shimwell

I'm currently using an old russian multifinder on my GX100. It only cost 17GBP from ebay, but I'm sure that the Voigtlander will be easier and more pleasant to use. One big plus I've found in the last couple of days with it is that as it's quite big and looks a bit odd people ask me what it is and so it opens conversations. I'll probably get a VT in the end though.

Mike