• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

peonies have bloomed

I've not had the greatest year and have not done a lot of photography, but yesterday went well. I had bought some peony bushes yesterday and of the three, one did not flower this year, one had one bud that bloomed and another 2 buds of which only one has opened as yet. So including a few from my backyard I decided to do a shoot. I also shot, roses and aquilegia, but mostly I wanted to work with the peonies, so I will only show you a few of these today. I took many pictures (I think about 450 in all.) I find them elegant and very beautiful and hope you enjoy them too.
lovehopejoy.jpg
unexpectedbeauty copy.jpg

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Beautiful Maggie!

My wife is the main garden lover in our family, but I do occasionally enjoy photographing the fruits of her labour.

What was your lighting setup for the above? The black background really lets the colours shine.

Andrew.

Thank you kindly, Andrew. I took these pictures from above. It was a dark and grey day, so I had one small very soft light and reflector boards to help the light reflect. My images were noisy so did noise reduction and then in photoshop, selected just the background and put on a different layer and multiplied it, and then merged down. I also like the black and I find it makes these kind of flowers look very elegant. Thank you for your kind comment!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Luscious and rich!

You said you bought the peonies yesterday but then talk about blooming over 3 years! Please explain.

Asher

Ha, it was me that was writing and half not paying attention. No, I bought 3 peonies bushes last fall. I already had some white ones in the backyard. They are white and have tiny dribbles of red. Now of the three bushes I planted last fall, one is in great shape but did not blossom this year. It will be red peonies, next year! (hopefully). Of the other bushes, one had 2 peony blossoms (the light blush ones) and the other only one (the pink with light interior). They will get more blossoms next year and they are in my front yard and get full sun which is something they like. Next year I shall have more and possibly this fall I'll buy a few more plants. Glad you liked them, Asher! :) <3

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ha, it was me that was writing and half not paying attention. No, I bought 3 peonies bushes last fall. I already had some white ones in the backyard. They are white and have tiny dribbles of red. Now of the three bushes I planted last fall, one is in great shape but did not blossom this year. It will be red peonies, next year! (hopefully). Of the other bushes, one had 2 peony blossoms (the light blush ones) and the other only one (the pink with light interior). They will get more blossoms next year and they are in my front yard and get full sun which is something they like. Next year I shall have more and possibly this fall I'll buy a few more plants. Glad you liked them, Asher! :) <3
That’s a PH.D. thesis in peonies LOL!

Next year it will be at its peak!

I must send a drone to map it out.

Asher