• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographing a Mural: Examples and technique?

Charlotte Thompson

I did this in 2004 ...the gold ,pure gold metallic used with the proper lighting shows beautifully so i tried to use my camera as a photograph of art
the wall used is about 12 ft across and 12 ft wide-

DSC_0019-2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

This is a good subject to photograph. However, it's not easy. It does require specific technique to do justice to any original art. A snapshot does not do it. It's obvious that the light is uneven. That's not at all fair to the artwork. Our photography must document and present the art, not change it or filter it.

This type of work is a specialty that's challenging but can be mastered with focus and attention to principles. It comes under studio and lighting since this is photographing artwork not photography as art. This branch of photography is fraught with challenges:

• The light needs to be even.

• Overcast sky would work but not convenient for expensive art or a mural

• Generally requires two broad sources at 45 degrees. Some folk put a polarizing filter on them to prevent glare.

• Need a camera with sufficient dynamic range and quality gamut to cover the colors and tones presented in the picture.

Leonardo use to do this in addition to his artistic photography and had a lot of galleries using his services.

Good luck,

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

Yes it is an art to shoot art indeed! It took me at least 2 months to finish the wall painting of this angel-
I guess not long enough to photograph it properly

Thank you for the tips. I will try different ideas on lighting. The gold paint is especially hard to catch its glee-

Thanks again

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Asher

Yes it is an art to shoot art indeed! It took me at least 2 months to finish the wall painting of this angel-
I guess not long enough to photograph it properly

Thank you for the tips. I will try different ideas on lighting. The gold paint is especially hard to catch its glee-

Thanks again

Charlotte-

With reflections, the broader the light source, the less specular the reflections. You can use a large qwhite sheet, a large white card as reflectors, aluminum foil or else rent lights.

It's always good to own2by 8ft foam core cards. They are white on one sde and black on the other and together you can do almost anything but not at a moment's notice. for that you need studio lights or else camera flash strobed behind a sheet.
Jry ud kmp hevyovigh lir y<t ud knoe Boe youbihj hj kt
Silver, steel, copper, gold, glasses and will giver you a headache unless you use a kaergecliggt dource

Asher Kelman

Aliens hackers talking over one another said:
Jry ud kmp hevyovigh lir y<t ud knoe Boe youbihj hj kt
Transmission was stopped when two men in black suits and dark glasses buzzed the place!
However, I do have the evidence in the text! Still trying to decipher it!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I like the "New Talk" sounds like a new way to explore letters-

I think I must have added too much ps on the gold
in an artsy way I like the look
I don't think I will be photographing again my murals until I am learning more on doing it right
thank you!
from the wall which is next to a huge window the gold really lights up-veryvery reflective paint

Charlotte-