• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Pictures, Events, Poetry, Art...

fahim mohammed

The amazing story/stories behind my essay.

Photography is visual. The photographer tries to capture, and often attempts, to convey some emotion to the viewer. Or just tries to capture something that moves the photog either visually, aesthetically or emotionally to preserve that moment.

With that preamble, let me ramble on with a story.

A story of intrigue, of happiness and sorrow. Of hope and despair. Of the conditions of the person/s involved or looking on. A story steeped in mystery. Of human emotions. A story of fear and greed. Of conspiracies and intrigue. A story haunting and emotional. Sometimes portending of ominous events.

A story as valid today, as I shall show you visually later on, as it was then. Hundreds of years ago.

Tune in for the next episode.

fahim mohammed

Patience Grasshoper...

You think you are ready. The story shall tell you, that you are not.

All of us have read the story. But like always...if what one reads or hears is usually forgotten...what use
The story.

It is a story of emotion..like in love...rational thinking goes out the door. A story of emotion overpowering logic.

A story of what we as humans are.

A story where patience is lacking when it is most required.

You all know the story...do you remember it?

Stay tuned.

fahim mohammed

I have been waiting for over 5,000 years, LOL!

In that case Asher, my good friend, you are young..and I am younger still!! According to some, you and me were born not much long after the earth came into existence!

A little more waiting would not harm either of us.

But what about the images, you ask? Where are the images, that Fahim has so dramatically said tell the story of suffering and joy. Of events and portending of events to follow.

My images, Asher, are in my words...those that you are reading now.

I shall take Asher, as an example. Because he is a gentleman who shall not chastise me in public.

A rational person Asher is. By training. That is his profession. Trained and honed. By experience. Dedication and painstaking hours to master his craft.

His craft..to detect visual signs. Confirm. Act. Throughout his professional life he has been guided by visual signs..x-rays, MRIs, CT/PET scans. Tomography. The wisdom of the ages from Galen to when he was practicing medicine..brought to bear to treat his patients. Visual signs..portending serious events or benign. Or warning signs.

Another example..my other good friend in this forum. Younger than me. The engineer, Doug. Reverse engineering. Why does something work? In his profession..maybe sine waves, updated Shannon's theories, Fourier analyses..and so on and so forth. Maybe peering into the ( Tektronix? ) oscilloscopes.

What patterns? What deltas? Observe, confirm, act.

What about the patterns of life? Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn..the cycle repeats.
Birth, growth, plateau, decline...since when?

See a pattern in the sky, plant or harvest. See a rising or trailing star..do something..honor a god, maybe.

' Read sky at night, sailor's delight '. The deployment of the latest weather satellites increases the accuracy, and predictability of events..but the old saying is based on hundreds of years of experience and observation.

Photography..draw the eye, the golden ratios, the play of light and shade, the harmonious and contradiction color wheel. The masters of the craft practiced it much long before the camera, as we know and use it today, even existed. Visual observation. Of patterns of light and shadows. Of color and shape.
Their relationships.

Visual observation and experience...Avoid the rush hour. Observation and experience.

So it is with life my friends. The cycle of life, if you may. Time periods might vary here and there, but no denying the cycle of life.

Nothing is really new under the sun! Just improved and repackaged.

Human behavior has remained the same. Shall remain the same..just repackaged.

Instead of the photographer, let me more accurately ascribe the saying to Matthew in the Bible..

' I speak in parables, because seeing, you do not see. Hearing you do not hear..'

or, progressing into more modern times..Sherlock Holmes..' Watson, you see but do not observe..'

Let me repeat..nothing new, just repackaged..

That is the history of man...that is the our history.

Leave you with a bit of poetry of more modern times still..

'
But one morning he made him a slender wire,
As an artist's vision took life and form.

While he drew from heaven the strange, fierce fire
That reddens the edge of the midnight storm.

And he carried it over to the Mountain's crest,
And dropped it into the Ocean's breast.

And Science proclaimed, from shore to shore,
That Time and Space ruled man no more.

'

Where are the images? In my words.
Stay tuned...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

In that case Asher, my good friend, you are young..and I am younger still!! According to some, you and me were born not much long after the earth came into existence!

With regard to those who say God formed the entire universe in six days (union rules evidently requiring one day of rest after such a tour of duty) about 5000 years ago, we here in southern New Mexico say, "It must have been a helluva shock to the people then living in La Luz" (a small town just north of Alamogordo where archaeologists believe that homo sapiens lived from about 10,000 years ago).

Another example..my other good friend in this forum. Younger than me.

Well, I will be 80 years old in May of 2016 CE.

The engineer, Doug. Reverse engineering. Why does something work? In his profession..maybe sine waves, updated Shannon's theories, Fourier analyses..and so on and so forth. Maybe peering into the ( Tektronix? ) oscilloscopes.

What patterns? What deltas? Observe, confirm, act.

Thanks for the recognition, my good friend. No Tektronix oscilloscopes now in the repertoire, the last one shed in preparation for the past downsizing. But a smaller, lesser 'scope packed away just in case.

But excuse me for interrupting your reverie (as we engineers will do), which I find most fascinating.

Carry on.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Thanks Doug. You are still young. And so are we all.
The poem I quoted in my previous post is taken from a book, ' The Victorian Internet ', by Tom Standage. The poem itself was written as a tribute to Samuel Morse, 1872.

The book is small and light reading. I would recommend it to all those that believe that our age of the Internet is the new paradigm. Things remain the same..just repackaged.

Now to my essay. What I mention are my own views and opinions. They might very well be wrong. I shall not argue that point.

The subject is so mundane, so common that most you might get switched off.
You read about it, hear about it, see it and some might experience it everyday.

But most of us see, but do not observe. Just as in photography.

After a brief stint as an engineer, I went into banking. And took an early retirement while in that profession. Like the signs in the sky, in my field of banking, I learnt to recognise visual signs in the markets..the financial markets.

I did not invent them, I learnt how to recognise them through courses, books, training and later horned the skills through experience and hard, stressful work.

Just like Asher was taught in med school and during his internship ,residency and then in practice, I too learnt the signs of my speciality. If doctors made a mistake, patients would suffer. If my collegues and I made a mistake the bank and its customers would suffer.

Was I ever wrong? Heck, more times than I care to remember. But I was more right than wrong.

It put the food on the table for my family and me. Recognising patterns, confirming them and then acting on what they signs whispered to me.

They whispered about greed and fear. About leaders and followers. They told me about event happenings and what might happen in the future.

They are as poetic to me as mathematics is. Rational.
They enabled me to remove emotion from my decision making. I could see that a large part of the crowd was emotional. Still are. Always will be. We are cursed ( or blessed ) with emotions. We are Human.

Just because a patient's family was found to be deeply concerned about their loved one's well being and needed reassurance...Asher would not let his emotional feelings for that family bias his rational and methodical approach to diagnosis, confirmation and action...neither would I.

To me that one tick on my Reuters and Bloomberg screen was what needed to be acted on. The market could care less. It was always right. It would not adapt to me. I had to adapt to it.

Nowadays, most of us are either directly or indirectly affected by the market.

I will show you in a few visuals, the psychology of markets. The psychology of us as human beings. Ages old, but as relevant today as in the past.

We have not changed. Only that we have convinced ourselves that we have.

I shall tie it in with our membership. You see, but you do not observe. I hope I am wrong, but I guess I am mostly correct.

fahim mohammed

Whether active or passive, each one of us is affected by and a participant in the markets. Personally or through retirement plans, and through a country's participation in the world market place.

My professional experience was with asset classes traded on the Chicago Board of Exchange and/or the London Currency markets.

More similar than different than the asset class commonly known..the Stock market. As an individual and in a private capacity, I was and am a participant on trading on Wall Street.

Wall street is named after a wall, what else!! It kept the animals from wandering away from the settlement at the southern tip of Manhattan.

Hence it is not unsurprising, that animals feature prominently on Wall Street.

The Bulls, The Bears, The hogs and The sheep.

The saying goes...' Bulls make money, bears make money, but hogs get slaughtered. ' Hogs are greedy. Sheep are passive and timidly ( and fearfully ) follow trends, jumping from here to there. Put on a bull's horns or at times wear a bearskin. They just want to make money..so they run here, and then they run there.

On a new trading day, the bulls buy, the bears sell and the hogs and the sheep get trampled underfoot.

Here is one visual..one that summarises all that I said in my first post.
Love, hate, greed, fear, happiness, sorrow, life and death. And events, foreseen and unforseen. Despair and hope. Simple, no?

Human emotions..never have changed and never will. The visual below tells
the past, the present and with a very good probability of might happen next. Why?

Because humans have not changed much..if at all.

p1815390216-4.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

I am enjoying your extended essay.

Of course as an engineer, I must ask, what are the axes and units of this graph?:

p1815390216-4.jpg

Or is it merely "abstract" and does not, as far as the reader is concerned, have such properties?

We do note that the ascending portions are in black and the descending portions in red, following (in a way) the ancient bookkeeping tradition and the ensuing metaphors.

And then we note that these are the signal colors of the French Revolution, and of the Cherokee Nation.

Not pertinent here, but while speaking of bookkeeping traditions, I note that the debits go toward the window.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is rich imagery! The ability to conjure up pictures in the mind is what makes photographs seem real and vivid. The signals of the forms, like words in a poem, evoke constructs such as house, mother, children, food, affection. In fact, it appears that most writing is merely the evolution of picture drawing, messaging one another over eons of human development.

So it's not surprising that poetry can evoke brilliantly rich images that compete with the best photographs for those who understand the words. Pity is that we have come to forget the power of mental imagery and I thank you, Fahim for bringing us back to this experience in such an enjoyable way.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi Doug, Asher.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Doug, you correctly point out an omission on my part.

The x-axis represents time. The y-axis represents the price of an asset. As per conventional usage.
The origin could be any point of time in the past ( for which records are available ). So can the end point on the time axis. The only proviso, being that it ( the end ) cannot extend beyond the last closing day of trading. Obviously. Tomorrow would be the future!!

Often logarithmic scales are used if the scales merit, else just simple scales.

The red and black colors are arbitrary, in this instance chosen by me. The red indicates declining prices. The black increase in prices. No other significance. They could be monotone, or green for + and red for -.

Let me narrate an incidence. Asher and I once made a bet. On the direction of the next 100 point move in the DOW. If it moved in one direction I would lose $20. If the Dow moved in the other direction, Asher would lose $20. Baring the component of luck in a single bet, the more knowledgable of us won more often than loose over a period of time. So Asher lost a few. But he won more than he lost.

This is important to understand.

MY friends, in a zero-sum game, the winner makes as much as the loser looses.

The market, however, is a minus-sum game. Why do you think that is?

Hi Doug, Asher.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Doug, you correctly point out an omission on my part.

The x-axis represents time. The y-axis represents the price of an asset. As per conventional usage.
The origin could be any point of time in the past ( for which records are available ). So can the end point on the time axis. The only proviso, being that it ( the end ) cannot extend beyond the last closing day of trading. Obviously. Tomorrow would be the future!!

Often logarithmic scales are used if the scales merit, else just simple scales.

The red and black colors are arbitrary, in this instance chosen by me. The red indicates declining prices. The black increase in prices. No other significance. They could be monotone, or green for + and red for -.

Let me narrate an incidence. Asher and I once made a bet. On the direction of the next 100 point move in the DOW. If it moved in one direction I would lose $20. If the Dow moved in the other direction, Asher would lose $20. Baring the component of luck in a single bet, the more knowledgable of us won more often than loose over a period of time. So Asher lost a few. But he won more than he lost.

This is important to understand.

MY friends, in a zero-sum game, the winner makes as much as the loser looses.

The market, however, is a minus-sum game. Why do you think that is?

Fahim, I'm enjoying your tantalizing essay but challenge your graph based on sampling. You state that the start and end points on the time axis are arbitrary (with the proviso that the end cannot be a future time). That said, basic temporal trends include 'inverted-U' (which you display), a 'U' or a flat '-' progressions, or combinations thereof. Moreover, the shape will depend on the chosen length of interval (e.g., the 'hockey stick' trend in 'global warming' that caused such controversy). In other words, your graph is one of multiple possible trends that without precise delineation of values on the Y and X axes means nothing. I hope for something more substantive in your next post.
Awaiting Eagerly, Mike :)

fahim mohammed

Thanks Michael, for the input. I do not want to get too technical. The purpose in this essay is not to teach charting the markets ( there are thousands more better qualified to that ), but writing about my meagre understanding of human behavior..as it applies to the markets.

Take care.

fahim mohammed

Takehiko was tired as he entered the house. He had had a very stressful day at the office. After a shower and change he went into the washitsu. the tatami flooring was new..smelled nice. he gently rubbed his hands over it. A smile on his lips. He had done good. No, he corrected his thoughts. They had done good. Kimiko, his wife and him. A few more years and he would retire from work.

1989 was dragging on. Why did this year feel so long, he thought. He wanted to spend time finishing his small karesansui. Yes, he thought. Kimiko and he would sit together in their zen garden. Their world.
A few more years to go.

He heard the shoji panel slide silently and deliberately behind him. He did not turn. It could only be Kimiko. Tens of years had passed since their marraige. She looked as pretty now as he had seen her when was it..30-35 years ago. The same respectful bow, as kimiko sat down gracefully opposite him on the zabuton. She had placed the tea on the chabudai table. She looked up at him. He loved her so very much. She lowered her eyes.

They had discussed their dreams. What they would do once Takehiko would retire. The money saved had grown considerably. They were not wealthy. But very comfortable.

Takehiko died five years ago. A broken man. He had thought of comitting suicide many times after Kimiko had passed away in the hospital. He would visit her everday and left when they told him to leave. He could not live without her. That he had very little was no more of concern. He just wanted to be Kimiko.

Their dreams. The plans they had made staying awake in bed. The things they would do. The places they would visit. Takehiko's beloved karesansui.

Just a dream.

It felt no pity. No sadness. No sympathy.

It was the market. It felt nothing.

Only Takehiko, Kimiko, you and me feel.

The market is indifferent. Always has been.

p1636914218-6.jpg

fahim mohammed

“I’m washing lettuce. Soon, I’ll be on fries. In a few years, I’ll make assistant manager, and that’s when the big bucks start rolling in.”

From the movie ' Coming to America '.

Let's get a little recent. How about Friday, Dec/11/2015.

Not only does one have to contend with peers, colleagues, and family; one has to deal with conflicting opinions screamed out by gurus.

Have you noticed the ads on tv, magazines..those showing a pretty little number with her skirt getting shorter each time the stock market goes up proclaiming..that she makes $xxx everyday from her home...trading stocks, she whispers demurely. I am sure she does, too.

Sometimes I wish the market never went down. And the skirt keeps on growing shorter. But life has rarely granted me such opportunities...a consistently rising markets.

Below are two charts of the S$P 500 index. Both represent the same information. Both are used. Some favor one over the other. East meets West.

The top one is how charts have been traditionally drawn in the West. It is called a bar chart..wow.
The chart below is called a candlestick chart. Used by the Japanese for centuries. Exactly the same information conveyed in a different format.

One important difference..in the West, we have traditionally placed greater emphasis on the closing prices of an asset at the end of a trading day. The Japanese, on the other hand, have placed greater importance between the range of the open and closing prices of an asset on a particular trading day.

Here then is the cumulative wisdom, the opinions of every participant on Wall Street, across the world
represented on a chart for the past 5 days.

All our collective wisdom and opinions. The bar or candlestick on the extreme horizontal axis is it.

p1624050778-6.jpg

p1746282392-6.jpg

Which one do I prefer? Depends on how I feel. The one with the shorter skirt usually.

fahim mohammed

" I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said. " Alan Greenspan

So much for that insight. Let's move on.

2013. Fahim, have you heard? Ayesha came running into our small garden.
What? What has happened?...I stayed relatively calm. Analysing what would have gone wrong...and how to mitigate any risks.

Ayesha was back. She was wearing her spectacles and hurriedly handed me mine.
Quick, put them on. What is going on, I asked struggling to get my specs' frames behind my ears.

Voyager and Pioneer spacecraft have left our solar system. They are headed out into inter gallactic space, said Ayesha looking up at the night sky.

Where is it? she asked. I don't know, I said..struggling to peer into space.

64kb. That is the amount of computer power Voyager had on board. I silently marvelled at American ingenuity and excellence in engineering. Struggling to look up into the space in the sky.

Dad, Mom...my daughter came out almost tripping over the stairs.

You can't see with those, she said. You guys are long sighted, as she handed us the pair of binoculars she was carrying.

You want to be successful in the markets? Use the right tools.

Emotions is not one of them.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

First, thank you for this continuing series, which has been very enlightening on many planes.

" I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said. " Alan Greenspan

I feel compelled to tell a somewhat complementary anecdote.

My long-term friend in the Washington, D.C. area, Paul, a bit older than I, also an engineer (now also mostly retired), tells of (some years ago) meeting a mutual colleague at some social-technical event in Washington I did not attend. The conversation went something like this:

Colleague: "I see Kerr didn't make the meeting. I would like to have seen him. I read his recent paper on <some topic>. In it he said <quotation from my paper>. I am confused. That statement could be taken to mean <one meaning> or <other meaning>."

Paul: "Well, when Kerr says something that could mean two things, that's what he means."​

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Cash is fact. Profit..well profit is an opinion.

Have many times have you seen women scratch their crotch vigorously in public? Or men, for that matter? I have seen men do that.. rarely. Women, very very rarely.

Why, I asked myself? Don't women ( and men ) feel an itch there. Maybe warrants a good oldtime scratch?

Gross, I know.
But interesting nonetheless. An example from my latest book
' Why don't women scatch their crotches in public ? '. You can order it from
Amazon. Yes, not having succeded in the markets, I have started writing books. A very normal occurance. I am working on a lecture circuit, or appearing on TV. Got to ask Asher if he can swing that.

Asher, Doug and I have known each other for a very long time. When I am in the States, we get together. Just to confirm that all three of us are alive and functional. Seeing is believing?

During my last vist, there we were..the three amigos. Window shopping. Carefully crossing the streets. Just old friend's talking and walking aimlessly.

I feel safer this way. Two tall white American males, of proper ethnicities, on either side of a puny dark guy. Sometimes, I feel they look down on me..being how tall they are.

This time I had a small problem. Doug was in a kilt. Smart and all, no doubt. But what with the latest news and problems about Scot ancestary of a certain prominent gentleman. But Doug was adamant. And why not?

I was fed up of eating falafel and shawarmas. I suggested Chipotle's. Mexican burritos..sharwarmas, but the Mexican way.
Asher, was againgst the idea. He went into a long explanation of E-Coli and some virsus..but we turned him down. So Chipotle, it was.
After a good meal, notwithstanding Asher's concerned look, Doug said we should go to the horse races!!

Off to the races, we went. I am not a betting man. Neither are they. But a flutter once in a while..why not. But we agreed that none of us shall disclose our choice to the other.

Looked at the screen. Doug was busy calculating probalities of each horse winning the race..after a while, he put his bet.

Asher left us and returned after sometime. And put a bet. Although not a Vet, he just wanted to medically confirm each horse's condition. A preliminary diagnosis, he said. Checking for E-Coli?, I asked.

I, too, left and returned to place my bet. Where did you go? To pray, I said.

You all might know the scene. Asher and Doug, leaning against the spectator's railings. Doug with an Ale in a plastic cup. Asher, white wine.

I was on a vist. I wanted to photograph. I wandered away.

The race started. And finished. Amongst the noise, shouting and waving of the crowd. As if the horses could hear!

O.K., who won? Doug had already ripped his ticket. Nothing more to say there...
Asher, looked at the ticket. Shook his head in dismay. Tore his ticket and flung it away.

They looked at me anxiously. Beginner's luck, they dreaded the thought.
Who did you bet on? Does it matter?

Asher, snatched the paper from my hand. Nah! and then ass***, he said. Unfair..admonishingly.

Doug, was more restrained. Looked at my paper. Gave that technical smile of his. But, of course..he admitted.

I had bet on the bookkeeper ( bookmaker ).

Profit, as I mentioned earlier, is an opinion. Cash is fact.

Asher and Doug lost money. Me..I told them I would buy shawarmas worth $5
for each of them.

I do not bet in the markets. I make my living in the markets. Not the same thing.

fahim mohammed

This shall be the final post of this essay. Do I hear..' at last.. '

I would like to mention before I continue with this essay that all countries have rules governing the financial transactions that bank employees can conduct. Down here the rules are very strict, and monitoring is extremely stringent. The penalities are very severe for those that break those rules.
Termination, without benefits, and legal action ensues for those breaking these regulations.

Guess most of you have seen the movie ' Wall Street '. Michael Douglas was just brilliant, as Gordon Gekko. The quotes are everlasting..

" Gordon Gekko: I don’t throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things.
Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought. "

Listen to any financial tv news and there is this ' analyst guru ' telling us that the market went high because there were a lot of buyers. Or that the market went down because there were a lot of sellers.

Bull****. A con for the lemmings, the sheep. That's what it is. A lie.
Think about it. How can it possibly be that there are more buyers than sellers.
For every buyer, there has to be a seller and vice versa. The number of stocks sold, in any given time period, must be equal to the number of stocks bought during that same period.
Do I make sense or not?

At any moment in time the price of an asset represents the cumulative news, events, opinions of all participants. The market is forward looking.

' The market went up, or the market went down '. Another piece of bull.

Was YODA ( since Star Wars is hot currently ) sitting behind my quote screen to lift the stock price up/down? Heavy lifting it would be too. The S&P 500 value is approximately $17 trillion!! YODA and Obi-Wan Kenobi and all the Jedi Knights couldn't move the ticker up one point!!

What moves the markets is us. The participants. When buyers accept to buy at a higher price, the stock price goes up! When sellers are prepared to sell at a lower price, the stock price goes down.

The market represents The crowd of participants in it.. Not you or me alone. But thousands, millions of us. Mostly through funds and fund managers.

And crowd behavior is more easy to detect and predict. Go see a football match, or attend a horse race...and just look at the crowds.

Crowds are primitive. We are primitive. It is in our DNA.

p1642935375-6.jpg

This is a stock chart of the company Cisco, during the dot-com era.

The cycle of a stock life. Fahim hears about it. Tells Doug. He phones Asher. The momentum builds up. Pushing the price higher. The ' crowd ' joins at the later stages..the final stages. The hogs hold on for more gains. The sheep follow their leader or just jump around. And then BOOM!

Now the fun starts. Or the sorrow. The Bears can smell blood. To the gates, they run. Every one wants out, momentum builds up. On the downside.
Hope..Some hold on. Maybe the gods shall make the stock price go up.
Thousands and millions of dollars are being lost. People see their losses mount. Their dreams about to vaporise.The can't take it anymore. They want out, at any price. Here enter our Super Crays. Neuron networks. The AI code. It triggers the programmed ' sell ' order. The price is in a downward trend. The momentum is reaching a crescendo. The crowd does what crowds usually do. They follow the others in the crowd. Now the price is in a downward spiral. It ends when nobody is prepared to purchase the $75 stock at $10-11-12

The cycle starts to repeat. In the case of Cisco..it would take a very long time to recuperate the high price. Crowd behaior. Nothing changes. The South Sea bubble. The Tulip fiasco. 1929 on Wall Street. Black Monday. I can go on and on. Crowd behavior shall never change.
$10. Down by 50% is $5. How many % to reach $10 again. Much more.
Some cannot take it and one hears of attempted suicides increasing. College provisions shall take much longer to get back to what they once were.

And this is the stock market. What about the housing bubble in the USA. Or the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Which took the entire world in a downward spiral.

Greed and fear. Fight or flee. Primitive instincts.

Here is the S&P 500...

p1795366744-6.jpg

I see music. Patterns forming, coalescing into each other. I see crowd behavior on my screen. Nothing changes. A much smaller life cycle. August 2015 was a bad month for US equities. Art and science join together. Crowds are so predictable. Mathematics...finest form of art. I have marked in blue, a reasonably simple predictive entry point. I was being conservative here.

Observe, Validate, Act. Crowds have been selling. It reaches a climax. Wait. Is it the end of the downtrend. Validate. Be conservative. Act. Enjoy the ride up.
Don't be a hog. Cash is real. It is in the bag.

I have talked about events. Stories related to events. Tried to show how closely intertwined are the markets with crowd behavior. In the patterns is music. In the patterns is mathematics.

Leave you with something to think about? When prices are going exponentially upwards..from whom do the buyers get their stocks? Who is selling them?

Similarly, when the crowd is dumping the stocks...who is buying them?

Thank you for politely waiting for this to end.

" Columbus did not seek a new route to the Indies in response to a majority directive. "
Milton Friedman

fahim mohammed

I feel compelled to add something here...I alluded to it in a previous post.

Crowds....

STAR WARS...the force awakens.

I read that crowds, tens of thoughts, are waiting to see STAR WARS. I too will join them...later.

My grandkids are here from the States for the Christmas vacation. One is ten, the other fourteen.

Grandpa, if we were back home, we could have seen it. Well you can see it when you go back home.

Dismay!

Ayesha and I were present when both of them were born in the States.

On both occasions we gave their parents, the same gift for our grandchildren.

Seeing, most do not see.

May the force be with you.