• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pimpla rufipes

Paul Iddon

These are incredibly skittish - always twitching, always flying away as you approach - but occasionally, they do stop and pause for whatever reason giving a chance to snap a few images. They do tend to re-visit the same part of the garden - usually around my variegated laurel. Pimpla rufipes is one of the Ichneumonidae but like many Ichneumon wasps it is badly under recorded.

pimpla_rufipes_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_d_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_g_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_e_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_f_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are incredibly skittish - always twitching, always flying away as you approach - but occasionally, they do stop and pause for whatever reason giving a chance to snap a few images. They do tend to re-visit the same part of the garden - usually around my variegated laurel. Pimpla rufipes is one of the Ichneumonidae but like many Ichneumon wasps it is badly under recorded.

pimpla_rufipes_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_d_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_g_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_e_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_rufipes_f_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.
Paul,

It WAS “badly recorded”. But you, with 7 wonderful shots have helped us see it very well!

But it’s just one!

We have no idea of it’s age, sex or marital status LOL!

I will at least read up on this remarkably handsome red-legged wasp!

Asher

Paul Iddon

It's a female yes.

In the UK, they are common - but unlike records of bees, the records seem to be few, though the people in the know say they are quite plentiful. At around 15mm in size, you not notice them!

Paul.