• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Please help me find a pocketable

fahim mohammed

carry always camera.

Fuji have not addressed the issues of the X10. A lovely cam otherwise.

I am thinking of the Sony RX100. Anyone with realtime experience of having used it?
Not having an OVE/EVF is a bummer; but I can settle without that.

The Fuji X100, Leica X2, are not pocketable. Between these two, I would have preferred the X100. The OVF/EVF, and the cost.

Grateful for any and all input.

Thank you.

Jerome Marot

I am thinking of the Sony RX100. Anyone with realtime experience of having used it?

Yes. As you noticed, it lacks an EVF. It also lacks a tiltable screen. The lens is good, but don't watch the sides too closely. The IQ is impressive at low ISO, although a direct comparison with what one gets from a SLR will show noise reduction, particularly in darker areas. The interface is so-so, but that is a question of taste and configuration, I suppose.

More details in about a week.

Michael Nagel

Fahim,

which issues have not been addressed at the Fuji X10?
The sensor update did resolve the 'white orb' issue, what other issues remain for you?

The Fuji XF1 would be a smaller version with the same sensor and without VF and different lens (slower at the long end).

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

Michael, thanks for the response.

I have read that Fuji have seemed to fix the ' white orb ' issue with the new sensor. However, I am unable to find out how exactly I can determine which cameras are fitted with the new sensor as opposed to the old. This is a big issue for me, as sending it in to Fuji from here would be me without my cam for almost forever.

The other issue is the video. While I am not particularly keen on video, but the competition ( read RX100 ) has excellent video capabilities.

Raw is another issue.

Thank you and kindest regards.

fahim mohammed

Michael, thanks again.
I just did a quick google on serial numbers with the new sensor. Seems it is 22M onwards.

Basically between the X10 and RX100; one is a photographer's cam while the other is a tech tour de force!! Besides the RX100 has a bigger sensor and excellent movie modes. But not without its own compromises.

Guess, one has to give up something for something else. The X10 is a looker, for sure!!

Regards.

George Holroyd

It's a never ending cycle of consumption, Fahim. I actually just bought a new X100, after looking for a small carry anywhere camera myself. I decided that for my needs the Fuji was as small as it gets.

fahim mohammed

I agree George. I have just returned from the Sony dealer. Next to them is the Nikon dealer, an old friend of mine. I was thrust a D800/E and a D800 , plus a D600! Take it, test it and see how it works!
I told him, I could not carry those things, let alone use them!

The Sony guy, had the RX100. It felt so liberating.
But I resisted the urge, and back home..I shall wait what Jerome has to say.

The fuji X100 is a joy to hold. The samples pics I have seen are lovely.

Congratulations George, and may you enjoy it with good fortune.

Best regards.

Jerome Marot

The Sony guy, had the RX100. It felt so liberating.
But I resisted the urge, and back home..I shall wait what Jerome has to say.

Quite frankly, if the Sony guy can let you try the Sony for a day or two, you will learn more than I could ever say. The RX100 works just fine, the devil is in the detail: will it be adapted to your way of shooting? If find myself quite limited by the lack of viewfinder (for that camera or for others). I know from using other cameras that I would find a lot less limited if the viewfinder could fold out. Seems like a small detail, but it makes a world of difference to me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

I have been happy using openly the LCD of my Ricoh GXR until recently when I began taking more pictures mid day with the glare of the sun on the back of the camera. Now I use the add on EVF and it really is helpful. However, it goes holds that last captured scene for a short time after the image is taken so one loses contact with the outside world for the next picture.

Maybe I can find a way of canceling out the holding of that last image, so that one remains in contact with the world! I thought you might want to look at this aspect of the EVF when you try a new camera.

BTW, is there a limit in size in actual dimensions and weight for your pockets. Or would you just say no larger than the Fuji X10?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, thanks for your input. As I type, Ayesha is down on Michigan Ave. or wherever picking up a
Sony RX100 for me!
The price here is about 150 USD more!

I should have it in a few days.

Best regards.

Asher Kelman

Asher, thanks for your input. As I type, Ayesha is down on Michigan Ave. or wherever picking up a Sony RX100 for me! The price here is about 150 USD more!

Great to have a trusted shopper, Fahim!

I wonder what pushed you to the sony RX 100? I'd love to hear how you finally made the decision or were you just exhausted, LOL!

I have been looking at the reviews of the Fuji X100 and it seems to be loved for it's immediate picture quality and it's really smart fill-in flash. DPReview has pretty questionable RAW processing and takes no trouble to optimize according to the camera used. Using a standardized Raw workflow makes no sense at all. So one has to look at either JPGs out of the camera or else Raw processed to one's own liking. I feel that ALL cameras will perform far better under such realistic conditions.

For example, RAW processing of Canon's S95 or S100 is awful at ISO 1600 but the jogs are wonderful very usable. So I feel you will really get to make the sony RX100 work well for your own style. My own Sony experience is limited to the NX5. I shot for a week in NY and am impressed with the quality. The large bulbous lens makes an otherwise tiny camera most indiscreet, LOL!

Much joy on you new camera if you can pry it out of your wife's hands! :)

Asher

Jerome Marot

I have been happy using openly the LCD of my Ricoh GXR until recently when I began taking more pictures mid day with the glare of the sun on the back of the camera. Now I use the add on EVF and it really is helpful. However, it goes holds that last captured scene for a short time after the image is taken so one loses contact with the outside world for the next picture.

That can probably be turned off, but is symptomatic of the nonsense that the industry is pushing on photographers lately. It should be obvious that a viewfinder or a "viewing device" (e.g. screen, ground glass, etc...) is important to the photographer. Not quite so. In the 80s, cheap cameras had indigent optical viewfinders which barely allowed one to guess at the framing. Now we have screens that one cannot see in sunlight and electronic finders which insist at presenting loads of silly overlaid symbols to cover whatever picture we try to compose. Or in your case, something completely different to what is in front of the camera.

Sorry for the rant.

The screen of the RX100 can be seen under the tropical midday sun, btw. Not well, but it can be seen. I say "tropical midday", because lots of screens can be seen under a temperate winder sunlight, but do fail under more intense sunlight.

fahim mohammed

Asher, first and foremost was the support locally. There is no Fuji camera dealer ( to speak of ) here.
I got the XE1, on a whim and a prayer; did not want to take a chance again.

The other issue was the sensor size. Add to it the raw support. I have been perusing all the relevant forums and reading up. But I just did not feel comfortable with the X10.

Last evening the Sony guys here showed me the video capabilities. Wow!

I shall miss the constant fast aperture of the Fuji. And Fuji's macro facility. I shall miss the ovf/evf. But what I have read, it is not that much to miss.

Sony's screen and resolution, was another factor. I can crop much better with 20mp to play with.

While Fuji high iso is seemingly good, Sony's seems to be better. And with raw support, I could possibly get a bit more out of the Sony.

This is a carry with me always cam. I realize its limitations. But they are much better than mine!!

Anyways, Ayesha called. They have it. And I am paying for a winter hat/cap or whatever it is called, as
a commission!

And most importantly, I was fed up with looking. As you correctly surmised.

I would like to thank all who gave me their input..George, Jerome, Michael, Asher. Grateful to you all.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

I was thinking that I should consider getting one of these too, but then realized that I'd already paid for a walk around camera: my 4x5 Globus camera. I just have to make a darkroom to load the film and a coat with long pockets for all the holders.

Meanwhile i have the GXR and very slow focus but an excellent camera, nonetheless.

It's good to share the pleasure and pain of someone else buying a new camera. With your new sony and the Fuji, if it comes back and George's X100, we're getting experience on a slew of nice cameras.

Thanks everyone!

Asher

fahim mohammed

p1301834858-4.jpg

p1301834882-3.jpg

p1301834870-4.jpg

Hi Fahim,

Congratulations with the new travel companion. Now you have even less of an excuse to not carry a camera. It looks very compact indeed (it makes your phone look big ;) ), and should just about fit any pocket.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Fired the thing up, and got a few shots..all on auto everything!!

p1302167088-5.jpg

I'd love to see a wedding shot with this camera! In the hands of a pro, I doubt the results would be anything less than stunning. We just have to see street shots to see how it works.

Asher

fahim mohammed

I think I have found my travel set-up. I tried it last night.
For 1 or 2 weeks, here is what I shall carry:

1. A carry-on.
2. Passport. A printed copy of it.
3. 2 x 1 week dispenser of medications. Certified prescriptions.
4. CC plus a debit card. 20 x 10 dollar bills in cash. Medicard and insurance card +
Local driving license and an international driving license.
5. Extra pair of jeans. 2 pair of underclothes. 1 T-shirt. 1 dishdasha.
6. 1 iPad + charger. I am investigating the mini iPad as a replacement.
7. 1 iPhone
8. ME + lux 50 asph + 1 spare battery/charger.
9. RX 100 + 1 extra battery/charger
10. 4 x 16 GB Cards + 2 x 32 GB cards + a couple of flash mem cards.
11. The small Leica table top tripod.
12. Ticket is an e-ticket. A printed copy of it, just in case.

All of this fits in the small carry-on with space to spare.

Almost forgot, and ( not in my carry- on ).

1 x wife ( for me ). YMMV.

That is sufficient for me.
Now, where to go? That is the hardest part to decide.

fahim mohammed

I add a small universal socket adapter + 2 small memory sticks.
Throw in some clothes. The tiny leica table-top tripod.
I have added my mp3 player and head-phones.
The 3 stop ND filter is on the lens.

Everything needed in a small carry-on!!

p1305611530-4.jpg

Somethings don't go in the carry-on.

fahim mohammed

The charger of the iPad / iPhone will charge the RX100 (and vice versa). You just need the cable, which is a standard micro USB plug.

Jerome, you are right.
However, the usb port supplies 500mA while the mains charger is rated at 1.5A. Hence the charging time via the computer is significantly longer.

Take care.

Jerome Marot

However, the usb port supplies 500mA while the mains charger is rated at 1.5A.

The charger of recent iPads and the charger of the RX100 supply up to 2A, just take the one which supplies the most current. The device to be charged will only use what it needs. Many modern computers have USB ports rated at 1A, double the standard 500 mA.

Asher Kelman

The charger of recent iPads and the charger of the RX100 supply up to 2A, just take the one which supplies the most current. The device to be charged will only use what it needs. Many modern computers have USB ports rated at 1A, double the standard 500 mA.

Jerome,

Is it generally the case that one can charge cameras via the USB/Firewire cable? I know there has been talk in Europe to standardize chargers especially of phones.

Asher