• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Progeria

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Firstly, I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year. Below is the result of a recent project i have undertaken.

Comments and critique, as ever more than welcome!

3153583399_022f0afaa7_b.jpg

Read about this shot and others at my photoblog:

Imagespike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent effect, just concerned with eyes which should remain identical but for scleral changes and say a pterygion added! Some examples here.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Matt,

This is well done and captivating to look at, thanks for sharing.
Now when I saw the other picture you've posted a while ago, I have thought about the concept of reading a picture from left to the right, mainly in the parts of the world where the language is written from left to right. So this time I was now curious how your picture would look like with the youth on the left and the elderly on the right. I was thinking that maybe it would be more natural. So I took your picture and flipped it. To my surprise, it then becomes obvious that there is an alignment error of the younger face part within/under the skull/hair of the old woman. Now that it is visible, it is rather easy to correct if you wish to do so. Interesting, isn't it?

Flipped version:
progeria_reverse.jpg

Copyright © Matt Halstead

Cheers,

Matt Halstead

Hi Matt,

This is well done and captivating to look at, thanks for sharing.
Now when I saw the other picture you've posted a while ago, I have thought about the concept of reading a picture from left to the right, mainly in the parts of the world where the language is written from left to right. So this time I was now curious how your picture would look like with the youth on the left and the elderly on the right. I was thinking that maybe it would be more natural. So I took your picture and flipped it. To my surprise, it then becomes obvious that there is an alignment error of the younger face part within/under the skull/hair of the old woman. Now that it is visible, it is rather easy to correct if you wish to do so. Interesting, isn't it?

Flipped version:
progeria_reverse.jpg

Copyright © Matt Halstead

Cheers,

How absolutely incredible, I can't believe the difference that results in flipping the image. I am always looking for ways to refine my workflow, and will certainly flip before I save!

i still have the psp so will correct the image accordingly and then post the results!

Many thanks!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Is model genuinely suffering from progeria or just made-up to look like she is?

What purpose do you intend this photographic project to serve beyond getting attention through startling imaging? That is, have you been commissioned to produce a public awareness campaign for this disease? I surmise by looking at some of your other images that this is just your style of art expression.

(Excuse me if I'm asking questions to which everyone knows the answers. But I didn't find any explanations on your "blog".)

Matt Halstead

Is model genuinely suffering from progeria or just made-up to look like she is?

What purpose do you intend this photographic project to serve beyond getting attention through startling imaging? That is, have you been commissioned to produce a public awareness campaign for this disease? I surmise by looking at some of your other images that this is just your style of art expression.

(Excuse me if I'm asking questions to which everyone knows the answers. But I didn't find any explanations on your "blog".)

Hi ken,

No, the model is not suffering from Progeria. Aside from artistic expression, I have been exploring the aging process, in particular trying to predict what people will look like when they are older.

The reason for titleing the shot "Progeria" was because in some instances, the illness causing only partial aging of an individual. As this subject has been partially aged, I thought the title befitting.

Furthermore, Progeria is an illness which many people may not know of. To this extent if someone googles the title of my image and then learns about this terrible illness then i feel that my image has served some purpose.

I think I will elaborate further on rationale for my shot within my blog.

Kind regards,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
A bit more information on Progeria, albeit not from a golden source.

An extremely rate genetic condition (1 case in 8 million) with "few affected children living past the age of 13". There are only 35-45 reported cases in the world (as of the date of the Wikipedia article). It does not appear to be a disease that progressively disfigures one's body as you have illustrated with this model, although some patients do have "localized scleroderma-like skin conditions". Rather, it seems like affects the entire body fairly uniformly. Most affected children die of cardiovascular disease, much like elderly people.

So it's very unlikely that anyone of the model's age would have the disease at all. If she did she would certainly not appear anything like you have shown. Showing the true grief and horror of a rare genetic disorder such as Progeria requires much more than Photoshop. Can you, for example, imagine the horror of parents whose child was born with this?

Do I have a problem? Yes, I suppose that I do have a problem with someone creating horror movie made-up portraits and then labeling them as examples of very real diseases when they are neither representative of the disease nor of the the artist's intentions.

Matt Halstead

A bit more information on Progeria, albeit not from a golden source.

An extremely rate genetic condition (1 case in 8 million) with "few affected children living past the age of 13". There are only 35-45 reported cases in the world (as of the date of the Wikipedia article). It does not appear to be a disease that progressively disfigures one's body as you have illustrated with this model, although some patients do have "localized scleroderma-like skin conditions". Rather, it seems like affects the entire body fairly uniformly. Most affected children die of cardiovascular disease, much like elderly people.

So it's very unlikely that anyone of the model's age would have the disease at all. If she did she would certainly not appear anything like you have shown. Showing the true grief and horror of a rare genetic disorder such as Progeria requires much more than Photoshop. Can you, for example, imagine the horror of parents whose child was born with this?

Do I have a problem? Yes, I suppose that I do have a problem with someone creating horror movie made-up portraits and then labeling them as examples of very real diseases when they are neither representative of the disease nor of the the artist's intentions.

Ken,

Yes, you are quite correct, it was my intention to create a startling image, which has some emotional impact.

Such an approach is not uncommon within the world of photography, whether it be a photo of a winning goal in the world cup, or a spectacular sunrise...they are all startling images in their own right which illicit an emotional response.

As i stated earlier, the rationale for the shot was to explore the aging purpose of individuals, to this extent I deliberately processed the shot to explore what parts of the subject would look like when they age. The application of this effect is down to artistic expression.

The shot is titled Progeria, The word “progeria” comes from the Greek word pro and the Latin word gerios, which literally means “early old age”. Whilst I accept that this word was created with the context of the illness in mind, it's meaning also seems relevant to my own artistic exploration of the ageing process. To this extent the title of the shot fo0r this piece of artwork is considered acceptable, in particular when considered against my original intentions.

What I do accept is the fact that my rationale for the shot may not be clear, and this I intend to correct by providing a more detailed account within my blog.

I can assure you Ken that no offence was intended by this shot, it was simply a piece of creative ART.

Regards,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think Ken's correct (I should ration saying that phrase, I write it too often!), and I might suggest a title that is not likely painful. "Imagine being half-aged?" or "Now and then at once", might work, but Progeria as a title might cause pain to families who have suffered.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Matt; Thank you for your reasoned reply. I understand.

The biggest decision that looms before you is how, or whether to, focus your digital art interests and skills towards creating a meaningful body of work with some longevity. Creating startling horrific images is a very well-worn path that's been well trod long before you (or even I) walked the planet. Painter Ivan Albright (of "Picture of Dorian Gray" film fame) is perhaps my favorite, probably because he was originally a Chicagoan (as am I) and the collection here at the Art Institute of Chicago features quite a number of his best works which I see frequently.

SelfPortraitFace.jpg

Ivan Albright, Self Portrait, 1977 (?)

Creating 1-off images with a digital camera and Photoshop might be a nice pastime to entertain yourself and your friends. And that's fine. But it's a dead-end. I think you have an opportunity to use your skills to create a significant contiguous body of work if you set your mind to doing so. There are many very current examples of artists who use photography and digital manipulation to create arresting scenes and portraits that do very well in the art marketplace.

The young German Beate Gütschow recently had a showing at the Museum of Contemporary Photography here in Chicago in which she exhibited some truly fascinating pieces created much as you create yours.

For portraiture two current artists come to my mind for you to consider studying.

Dutch photo-artist Loretta Lux has been hot for the past few years. (She's approximately the same age as Beate, and that's not her real name.) Her signature larger-than-life portraits of children are truly startling to see in-person, initially because they are lit so oddly and offer viewers the (now almost cliché) "Dutch death stare". But then you realize that there's something not quite right about these subjects. Yes, Photoshop is involved, but in extremely effective subtle ways that I'll leave you to detect.

The other artist that comes to mind is local boy Ben Gest. (Also a 30-something.) His portraits and scenes look perfectly normal --even a bit banal-- until you look at them very closely. Like those of Loretta Lux, there's something not quite right about Ben's images. In fact, close inspection reveals that many would probably be physically impossible. Like Dr. Frankenstein, Ben builds his images often from hundreds of individual images to create gestures that have one toe outside the reality box. Once again, subtlety is most powerfully effective when it comes to his digital tinkering.

I hope this helps to inspire you, and perhaps onlookers.