• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Public Photography in the UK is under threat

John_Nevill

Are the brits becoming paranoid?

A recent petition submitted to the UK government:

"There are a number of moves promoting the requirement of 'ID' cards to allow photographers to operate in a public place......"

So if such a law is passed, then you can say goodbye to the tourist taking a picture whilst on holiday in the UK, unless he/she has an ID card!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Are the brits becoming paranoid?

A recent petition submitted to the UK government:

"There are a number of moves promoting the requirement of 'ID' cards to allow photographers to operate in a public place......"

So if such a law is passed, then you can say goodbye to the tourist taking a picture whilst on holiday in the UK, unless he/she has an ID card!

Tell us more!

Can we help in any petition?

Asher

Ray West

It's just another attempt of control of population, gathering of information. Afaik, uk has highest surveillance camera usage of any country - doesn't do much for crime prevention, except 1984. It will all be linked into road charging, (gps location, mobile phone calls, utility bills, canon camera clicks, just the general trend of government, riding on the back of 'the threat of terrorism'. The idea is to convert the population into a grey mass of tax paying equality, so that the elite, the government, can indulge in their extravagances.

All you need do is araldite a mobile phone to your slr.

Anyway, apparently a magnum photographer had some recent agro on a beach in Brazil, too.

Actually, it may be a good idea. A camera licensing system. You get a 'learner's' license, allows you to own a P&S. You take a test, if you pass you can then get an SLR, an additional test for extra lenses. The hgv equivalent licence for scanning backs, say. You renew the licence annually, have to send the camera in for an MOT. You pay tax on the number of clicks made per year. A mobile phone camera, provided it is less than 3MP is counted as a moped. It makes more sense than taxing windows.

Anyway, wrt public places, everywhere in the UK is owned or managed by someone. If its OK for wealthy boat owners, say, to prevent pictures of their boat being published, then why not let Fred have some rights over photo's of his kids? Many of the existing laws, have little connection with modern life.

Not a bad thing wrt. tourists. They can hire a car, and a photographer.

Best wishes,

Ray

Not that I'm paranoid, and in recognition of the great sense of humor common to my neigbors from the UK, where can we read about "the number of moves" that are promoted? Is your parliament not representing the (majority of the) citizens? Do the citizens not vote for the protection of their rights, or against the abuse of those rights?

In my home country (the Netherlands) everybody except children is required to carry an ID when in the public space, so that includes photographers. In addition, it can only be asked for under specific conditions. However, the ID is not used as a permit to use a camera in public. Even surveillance cameras (from either private or governmental organizations) are subject to strict privacy protecting rules.

Bart

Ray West

How about web cams? seem to be set up with no regard to anything. Particularly some which can be controlled by the viewer. One thing to pass a law, another to enforce it.

They are trying to bring in general id cards here. I don't think they will, though. But, they will bring in ID's gradually, section of the population by section.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Actually, it may be a good idea. A camera licensing system. You get a 'learner's' license, allows you to own a P&S. You take a test, if you pass you can then get an SLR, an additional test for extra lenses. The hgv equivalent licence for scanning backs, say. You renew the licence annually, have to send the camera in for an MOT. You pay tax on the number of clicks made per year. A mobile phone camera, provided it is less than 3MP is counted as a moped. It makes more sense than taxing windows.

Crack me up Ray! The government here is getting more and more 'Big Brother' a recent petition to stop road pricing (they would chip cars so that they always know where you are and what speed you are going) recieved 1.5 million petitions in a couple of months and Tony Blair just ignored it sending an incredibly weak email reply to all those who petitioned (me included).

Would a Conservative government be better if this is what Labour is like? What a country...

D

Deleted member 55

"There are a number of moves promoting the requirement of 'ID' cards to allow photographers to operate in a public place......

So just forward it to the tourism association.

If the tourist money stops so will the law.

Rick Medlock

No your rights

In my ten years + photographing in the UK I have seen our rights to photograph anything coming under treat. I was recently removed from an industrial estate for photographing the side of a building. I have been attacked by an angry parent in a public park because I pointed my camera in the general direction of his kid. The funny thing is if I stand with my canon D60 with a 50mm lens on no one takes any notice. However, if I use my canon 1Ds MK11 the control police are all over you. It appears to be with the size of the camera, point and shoot is ok, but pro cameras you must be up to no good.

There is a petition that you can sign about the proposed photographic law, but I am at work at the moment and don’t have the link for it.

Keep the faith.

RICK

Asher Kelman

I really think that this is a real threat. The officials feel that they are running Butlins Holiday camp where they must collect everyone's passports, know what you will eat and check on your social preferences and behavior.

The colonial past and the ability for Brits to except lines and be orderly and take orders like others have a right to give orders according officers rank, allows gradual erosion of rights.

O.K. it's quite reasonable to agree to driving on one side of the road. In the merry England, it has to be on the left, seen the put the bloody steering wheels on the wrong side, LOL!

however, the continual erosion of people free rights and the land they can walk on is very bad for out civilizations. We do not, as yet have a good balance between being protected and being commoditized and disempowererd like the dogs we have as pets!

Asher

-snip-
There is a petition that you can sign about the proposed photographic law, but I am at work at the moment and don’t have the link for it.

Keep the faith.

RICK

Rick, if you read the page linked to above, you'll see that there is no proposed law. This issue and its petition have been around for a year, and there is no such proposed law.

I agree that our rights are being taken away bit by bit, but it is incumbent upon every citizen to be informed and educated. Democracy does not work if the public does not make the effort to be educated and informed.

To all I say, please spend a few minutes doing some fact checking before you post stuff, whether it's statistics such as Nicolas' "20% of all construction cranes in the world are in Dubai" or this urban myth about photographer's permits, or any other thing that you hear on the 'net.

A lot of what circulates on the net as fact is crap. Please check before passing it along.

Asher Kelman

After the coordinating bombings in London of 7/7 2005, London became more aware of its vulnerability. They already had street cameras everywhere that proved their worth in tracing the terrorists, but what has happened their since?

Who now has the rights to photograph freely in London besides the police 61/2 years after 7/7?

Are photographers constrained and to what extent?

Asher