• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Quick and Dirty Pano of Rotterdam, Netherlands

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

You might have noticed that I have been rather absent recently. This was due to being very busy at work and also in my private life.

To make it up a bit , here is a quick and dirty pano of Rotterdam, Netherlands. I took some 22 pictures and used CS3 to create the pano. Due to memory issues, I had to do it in 6 discrete steps (i.e. merge 4-5 images at a time and merge all later). I know that there is much room for improvement, but for once, I'll stop being a perfectionist .

img_39018_0_225300579-XL.jpg

Click HERE for a larger version.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

At last, welcome back from real work! This picture is pretty damn nice! Immediately One sees the beautiful reflection in the river. Great that you limited the sky, since I see bo clouds and the water balances the skyline perfec tly.

There is of course a little problem with illumination. Did you use the same settings in manual or does the light change? In AutoPano Pro, the luminence is normalized, color and saturation all seem to be normalized perfectly without doing anything special.

I'd consider examining a version with the buildings at each end left out. This might work better for you, but it's just an idea. As it it is, those building to serve as end stops for eye movement, like vignetting in a protrait to bring attention inwards from both left and right directions. IOW, those end building almost act as a matter in a frame, helping to set apart and present well the center areas of interest.

Is there more foreground?

Thanks for the great arrival back with arms full of this present!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

....There is of course a little problem with illumination. Did you use the same settings in manual or does the light change? In AutoPano Pro, the luminence is normalized, color and saturation all seem to be normalized perfectly without doing anything special.

I'd consider examining a version with the buildings at each end left out. This might work better for you, but it's just an idea. As it it is, those building to serve as end stops for eye movement, like vignetting in a protrait to bring attention inwards from both left and right directions. IOW, those end building almost act as a matter in a frame, helping to set apart and present well the center areas of interest.

Is there more foreground?
Hi Asher,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.

The illimunation problem you see is caused by yours truly being stupid. I've gone and done the most basic mistake one can make. I.ow., I'd forgotton to take the d**n circ. polarizer off the lens! And I was paying all the attention to all the details, go figure!

I did not try Auto Pano at all, maybe it's worth giving it a go?

As I wrote, this is a Q&D version, I'll definitely do more with or without the buildings at each end.

What do you mean by "Is there more foreground?"?

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Cem,

I was just wondering if you had cropped away water at the lower border of your pano. I like the water so much that if you had more in the pictures you stitched, it might look better to add it back!

Otherwise no big deal!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

I was just wondering if you had cropped away water at the lower border of your pano. I like the water so much that if you had more in the pictures you stitched, it might look better to add it back!

Otherwise no big deal!

Asher

Unfortunately, there is almost no cropping at all. This was due to the meticulous levelling the tripod and the camera first. I did not want to lose the tops of the cranes and the bridge, so I ended up capturing less of the water using my 70-200 at 70mm. But I have some other pictures showing more water. I'll dig into it later :).

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Cem,

was the camera mounted in portrait or landscape position on the trpod? Also do you have an L-bracket for rapid switching if needed?

Also remember there's no law preventing you from adjusting down the angle of your camera for a second row! :)

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

The camera was mounted in portrait position. I don't have an L-bracket unfortunately. Any recommendations?

I did only one row. I don't know why but doing a second one just did not occur to me.

The final pano is some 33000x4000 pixels BTW.

Cheers,

Ray West

Hi Cem,

I think I may have been standing more or less in the same place as you, but in July 2006.(I was there for less than a day). I think they love that old transporter bridge as much as 'the swan'. I have a number of shots, more or less from the same point, maybe I'll try a stitch with hugin, which seems to work pretty good, even with hand held random shots.

bridge1.jpg

I do not think even you will be able to get to the location for this shot though, .......

bye.jpg

Best wishes,

Ray

Greg Rogers

Where can I find the full sized image? <razz>

Another excellent pano, Cem. Oh, and this answers my question about the purple structure at the same time. As Ray pointed out elsewhere, it is a bridge indeed. And white at that. Must be quite an array of purple floodlights.

Cheers,
Greg

Ray West

Hi Cem,

You'd better keep the coconut, then!

Sorry about hijacking your thread, but have you noticed the tarmac over the Erasmus bridge? I think it has flakes of mica or something in it. When the sun catches it, it sparkles like the night sky.

Best wishes,

Ray

So Nik, when were you there? Did I miss you in recent times or was it a long time ago?
Cheers,
It's been a while, actually, almost exactly 11 years ago, October-December 1996.
I was working for a Dutch company with HQ in Rijswijk (between Delpht and Haage) at the time.
I would've give you a buzz if it were more recent times :)