• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ready for a drink on board a superyacht! shot with a Pentax 645D

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
A votre santé ! Cheers! هتاف 干杯! ¡Salud! לחיים! Salute! prost!
To celebrate the new version of Capture One (V7) I thought it would be a good idea to have some Champagne set…
Phase One did make some very effective improvements with this update, so after many comparison with LR4 (that I included within my workflow for the shot made with the 645D since early this year).
No doubt : denoise, highlight recovery, adjustment layers, sharpening, clarity are much improved… not to forget the new developping engine… If I had nothing else to do , I would probably reprocess all my files!
So here we come with an image shot in September aboard a large catamaran (80 feet). The purpose was to give envy to charter the boat while showing charming and warm atmosphere while sunset is already over… time is stopped, enjoy!
5 files processed from raw (DNG) to 16bit tif blended with Photomatix pro with exposure fusion (yes, I would like to have SNS-HDR running on a Mac!)
While on the subject, I hope that Pentax will give all necessary informations to Phase One so they can be able to give full support to the 645D PEF files…

smc PENTAX-DA645 25mm F4 – ISO 200 – 1/15s to 15s – ƒ14

_NCL3162_C1_1200.jpg

100% crops:

_NCL3162_C1_1000_a.jpg

_NCL3162_C1_1000_b.jpg

_NCL3162_C1_1000_c.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

I'm very impressed with these results. Perhaps you might send just third file to Sebastian to process it and then you can show the identical cutouts. What lenses are you using now? Are these all new, specific to the 645D or are you also able to use previous Pentax lenses and if so, do you have autofocus.

Is there live view or at least focus peaking or magnified images for focus verification prior to taking the picture?

What software are you able to use taking pictures tethered?

I'm excited and inspired by your work! Certainly, the Pentax 645D in your hands is a wonderful instrument at a bargain price compared to all the other 40MP MF options.

Asher

nicolas claris

Asher
Of course I can send to Sebastian 5 files for him to give a try, I'm sure he'll win the challenge!
Now the ball is in Sebastian camp… ; )

The lens, as already written is the new smc PENTAX-DA645 25mm F4 used at ISO 200 – 1/15 – ƒ14 (with variation of shutter speed for the bracketed serie)

I also use the 80-160 and the 300mm which are previous generation, they're both sweet and sharp.
I have already post here sme samples shot with these lenses as well as the 55mm which comes bundled with the 645D.

I need, in order to full fit my needs, a lens about 35/40mm, but to buy this one I need to sell my 1DS3!

They are all auto focus, but one can shoot manual focus with focus confirmation (ala Canon).
The 25 and 55 are fast focusing, the 80-200 and the 300 a little less…

There's no live view.
I never shoot tethered but I know that Pentax provides a specific software for this.
However the back screen is a very precise LCD and one can check each image at full resolution, I use it very often.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just to be certain, Nicolas, AF works with the older lenses?

Being able to magnify in the LCD screen is pretty damn good. Having live view is something we've been spoiled on, but the MF optical viewfinder, is itself very bright, I understand.

I'm really hoping that Ricoh keeps this marvelous Pentax MF camera moving forward! I'd love to have one to play with for a while!!

Asher

nicolas claris

Just to be certain, Nicolas, AF works with the older lenses?

YES and yes : )

Being able to magnify in the LCD screen is pretty damn good. Having live view is something we've been spoiled on, but the MF optical viewfinder, is itself very bright, I understand.

I'm really hoping that Ricoh keeps this marvelous Pentax MF camera moving forward! I'd love to have one to play with for a while!!

Asher
I don't have specific info, just rumors… which are enjoyable…