• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Saffron Finch

Peter Dexter

These are common in the city of Cali where they were introduced around 1971 and they're on the move. Steven Hilty in his guide to the birds of Colombia published in 1986 gives them an altitudinal range to 1000m but I photographed this guy at 2100m. They are a popular cage bird and while there are three native populations in different regions of South America they have been released elsewhere.

46576274574_232ef5fa84_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are so sharply dressed and beautiful. But why were they released? We’re there reasons like eating mosquitoes or other noxious insects...or justvthe besuty and poetry of splashes of yellow in the trees?

Asher

Peter Dexter

Their release in Cali was quite a while ago so hard to know the motive but possibly escaped cage birds. They have been released in many areas they were not native including Hawaii. Certainly not as sedentary as the Eurasian Tree Sparrow that was released in St. Louis in 1870 and has hardly expanded it's range it's range at all.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great they they are so beautiful! Stunning addition to a cities character! Still I hopecthr ecological impact is minimal......or even beneficial.

Asher