• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Salt of the Earth

Jerome Marot

This is nice. I like the central composition. I also like the post treatment, contrast and added vignette. One word nevertheless: the sharpening operation degrades the bokeh. You could try to apply a degraded mask before the sharpening, so that only the front part is affected by the operation.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm enjoying the combination of picture and story to give us a background. There's still time to market the salt!

Asher

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
This is nice. I like the central composition. I also like the post treatment, contrast and added vignette. One word nevertheless: the sharpening operation degrades the bokeh. You could try to apply a degraded mask before the sharpening, so that only the front part is affected by the operation.
Jerome,

I agree that the bokeh is slightly jarring, but I am not sure it is the sharpening. Let me take a look again.

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Jerome,

I just reprocessed by applying a mask to the sharpening layer. Can you tell the difference? I don't see anything discernible. The sharpening was gentle to begin with.

I wonder how the Zeiss 100 f/2 MP will render bokeh in a similar situation (i.e. landscape).

Joachim Bolte

Very nice picture, only thing I could come up with is that the DOF is VERY shallow, and so the falloff of sharpness is very sudden, within one salt-pan. You could try a 1 or 2 stops higher on the f-number, see how that works to make a more graduate fall-off.

Or did you make the picture unsharp in PP? could you spare us the original?

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Very nice picture, only thing I could come up with is that the DOF is VERY shallow, and so the falloff of sharpness is very sudden, within one salt-pan. You could try a 1 or 2 stops higher on the f-number, see how that works to make a more graduate fall-off.

Or did you make the picture unsharp in PP? could you spare us the original?
The shallow DOF is intentional. The photo was taken at f/1.2 @ 85mm.

Jerome Marot

I just reprocessed by applying a mask to the sharpening layer. Can you tell the difference?
Comparison is difficult now that you have removed the first version, but I think that yes. Sharpening, applied to lens blur, tends to give a strange effect. Without sharpening, the unsharp elements sort of fade into the background. With sharpening, there is more something of a "halo" around the elements. In some cases, like parallel lines, it looks as if the lines are doubled. I find this distracting.