• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Saxifraga - Rockfoil in polarized UV light

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Here a white Saxifraga flowers), which shows the predicted effect my friend told me about: That bees have around their eyes sensors able to detect polarized light and there woud be flowers using that:

Visible light - sunlight:

Saxifraga%2Bwhite%2Bcirc%2Bpol%2BVIS%2B20200407%2B%25281%2529.gif

Reflected polarized UV, only sunlight:

Saxifraga%2Bwhite%2Bcirc%2Bpol%2BUV%2B20200407%2B%25281%2529.gif

Reflected polarized UV, using a 365nm UV LED:

Saxifraga%2Bwhite%2Bcirc%2Bpol%2BUV%2B20200407%2B%25282%2529.gif

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The UV suggest evolved function!

I fonder whether Owls or Eagles have that too but then mice would evolve to be black at night!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well some migratory birds have polarization vision, but for orientation only.
The flowers and the bees have reinforcing mutual beneficial selection drive for UV polarized light signals to increase chances of bee finding the nectar.

The mous and raptor have diametrically opposite directions of selection.

Nothing the mouse can do stops the owl seeing in the dark, unless it could do night time chameleon like camouflage!

Asher