• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Last night, the City Council of Long Beach, CA voted to fund the move of my 8 meter high sculpture, “Puff of Wind” to its permanent new location below the Long Beach Museum of Art at the turn in the coastal road in an islands of grass andvpalm trees before the sand and Pacific Ocean!

Asher Kelman: “Puff of Wind”
Steel and Pigmented Acrylic, 2016
Viewable now The sculpture Garden,
15th Street and Highland Avenue.
City of Manhattan Beach,
California

Asher Kelman

I have to fabricate a new 4 meter support column to carry 4 tons and hold the sails against hurricane winds!

Then I need riggers, cranes, man lift pods to go height above the sculpture for the workers to dismantle it and load it safely on a series of very long flat bed trucks.

At Long Beach we have to then rebuild it!

It’s a wonderful feeling at this new stage in its life to see it have a permanent mooring!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Last night, the City Council of Long Beach, CA voted to fund the move of my 8 meter high sculpture, “Puff of Wind” to its permanent new location below the Long Beach Museum of Art at the turn in the coastal road in an islands of grass andvpalm trees before the sand and Pacific Ocean!

Steel and Pigmented Acrylic, 2016
Viewable now The sculpture Garden,
15th Street and Highland Avenue.
City of Manhattan Beach,
California

That is just thrilling. Congratulations!

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I have to fabricate a new 4 meter support column to carry 4 tons and hold the sails against hurricane winds!

Then I need riggers, cranes, man lift pods to go height above the sculpture for the workers to dismantle it and load it safely on a series of very long flat bed trucks.

At Long Beach we have to then rebuild it!

It’s a wonderful feeling at this new stage in its life to see it have a permanent mooring!

Asher

Yes! Oui ! Ya! Da! Si ! !כן
Bravo, Kudos!
Well deserved and nice photo btw :)

Asher Kelman

Yes! Oui ! Ya! Da! Si ! !כן
Bravo, Kudos!
Well deserved and nice photo btw :)
Thanks to you, Nicolas, my good friend, co-founder of OPF and sea captain, I added a duplicate bearing system capable of taking tortion stresses, to rotate the sculpture in the wind.

That way it aligns with the wind and the force on the sail is always minimized.

Thus, the huge surface area can withstand high winds and a hurricane up to 214 MPH!

Ten inch diameter bearings, made in Austria!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I think we can see the bottom bearing on that picture, together with the screws that fix it on the column.

I had a look at the map. Will the statue be erected near Junipero Avenue?

Asher Kelman

I think we can see the bottom bearing on that picture, together with the screws that fix it on the column.

I had a look at the map. Will the statue be erected near Junipero Avenue?
Hi Jerome,

Exactly, it will be located below and beyond the Long Beach Museum of Art. One will see it from Juinipro Road, the Ocean, Beach and looking down from the bluff by Ocean Boulevard!

If one drives on the portion of Junipro Avenue before the curve, with the grass island, (white triangular area on the map), straight ahead, one will see the sculpture mounted to left of palm trees. Hopefully it will be the anchor installation for a possible new sculpture garden! Anyway I am already building a number of new pieces for my portfolio with that hope!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here is a mock up in the new home! My wife is sitting by that lamppost in center left, as I took the overlapping pictures from the bluff above, to be able to stitch this panoramic view!

Steel and Acrylic Pigment, 2016
New Site, Long Beach CA 2019

I am excited at the move and thrilled at my good fortune!

Asher

Asher Kelman

What fun Asher and so much less stressful than moving Michael Heizer's Levitated Mass.
Not really! He had $10,000,000 for $340 tons of rock with no moving parts and no risk of wind or earthquake damage. Engineering was minimal. Perhaps 6 pages.

My sculpture takes $100,000 to move for about 4 tons after we shed the counterweighted base.

Engineering required extensive modeling and finite element analysis and we ended up with 4 books of calculations and diagrams.

Welding required the most expert craftsmen to assure that they would meet the theoretical values we assumed. We created compound curves in the steel panels which matched within mm.

However the rock turned out in final shape, that happenstance was fine for the artist. It was the effort and gestalt that counted.

Walking underneath it is entirely underwhelming. There is no send of awe, risk or astonishment.

It doesn’t compare, for example with the multi ton curved or flat steel composition by Serra which impose a sense of power on the installed environment!

Most of the tonnage of Serra’s work can be immediately felt and seen as a shape that dominates and invites interaction. By contrast, most of the huge mass of the simple rock at LACMA is invisible, not creating any impact, and has no voice, except as data that we can report, for its historical challenge to roadways to move it from its source to its final resting place.

Otherwise it’s the value to the excited poodle that finally catches the escaping Cadillac stopped at the traffic lights. What does it now do?

Asher

Peter Dexter

"Most of the tonnage of Serra’s work can be immediately felt and seen"

I agree with this and have always liked Serra's works.

Robert Watcher

Congratulations Asher. What a feat to see that project to completion. A piece of living art to benefit the community.