• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

SD content directly to External

Ralph Honsbeek

Hi there long time no see , hope all are well.

Very strange question , but I need a solution for something.
I wish if there is any way to get files from a SD card or CF , directly from the card
to a external hard drive , WITHout the use a laptop.

Camera in question = Canon 5D Mark III ,

I need to backup the RAWS and JPEGS from the SD card to a large external hard disk

I guess I could just buy from large SD cards , these days 64 Gigs are not that expensive , but I need
more than that.

Thanks a lot

Ralph

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I wish if there is any way to get files from a SD card or CF , directly from the card

Camera in question = Canon 5D Mark III ,

I need to backup the RAWS and JPEGS from the SD card to a large external hard disk Thanks a lot
Ralph,

Welcome back! Let's get you more active here. Although we love to share info on gear, we do best in sharing photography! so go through your library and pick some favorites and find a thread or a theme where they could go or start a new thread of your own! We'd simply love that.

To portable storage devices for use in the field. Right now the best price I can see is for the Digital Foci PST 251 with a 500GB drive. at just $149. It is independent and does not need any computer to work. If you can find a new old stock NEXT TO by with no colored screen, that would be the most economical and bullet proof as I know that brand is reliable. The Digital foci brand is new to me but carried by B&H so it must meet minimal standards or they's not bother.

There are many options today. They have various names like "a digital wallet". I own three!

Here's a link to some options. With a larger capacity, you get down to about $0.50 to $1.00 per GB.

My NEXT-TO has no screen as it really serves no purpose in the field. If you don't need to chimp images in the device, you can save.

Asher

Hi Ralph,

Another popular storage device for backing up Raws when traveling is the Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2. It also checks the integrity of a number of Raw formats, and does a lot of verifications to make sure the data was copied without errors, but does so relatively fast.

They also offer a version without disk, and you can shop for a cheaper disk than a pre-installed version and simply build it in yourself. Check a local reseller for a good price.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ralph,

Another popular storage device for backing up Raws when traveling is the Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2. It also checks the integrity of a number of Raw formats, and does a lot of verifications to make sure the data was copied without errors, but does so relatively fast.

Bart,

I have the version as well and it is reliable. Just that the menu is not as fluid as yhe simplest NEXT TO, which, if you can find it, has no color viewing screen for looking at your pictures. But it's simpler to use and very reliable. Only issue is that you might not be able to find one so easilly!

Asher

I have a digital foci, probably bought from B&H and it works OK though I have taken to using a laptop. I found it quite slow to download but then it's at least five years old and probably not indicative of current models.