• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some cuddly snowy owls

Cem_Usakligil

snowyowl1.jpg

Ivan Garcia

HI Cem
Lovely shot. I wouldn't cuddle that.. I like my fingers too much, I need them to press the various functions in my camera lol.

A closer look

That's a beautiful shot Cem. My owl shots were so so with regards to the plane of focus, unlike this one. Which aperture did you use?

Cheers,
Bart

HI Cem
Lovely shot. I wouldn't cuddle that.. I like my fingers too much, I need them to press the various functions in my camera lol.

Hi Ivan,

You're right, never underestimate these birds.

They can be cuddly one moment:
9718_S.jpg

And throw a (literally) hissy fit the next moment:
9717_S.jpg

The falconers need thick leader gloves to protect themselves from the talons alone, and the beaks can rip off flesh with relative ease.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

That's a beautiful shot Cem. My owl shots were so so with regards to the plane of focus, unlike this one. Which aperture did you use?
Hi Bart,

It was f 5.6. Many of my pictures are also focused on the feathers around their beaks and not on the eyes themselves.

Hi Ivan,

You're right, never underestimate these birds.

They can be cuddly one moment:

And throw a (literally) hissy fit the next moment:

The falkoners need thick leader gloves to protect themselves from the talons alone, and the beaks can rip off flesh with relative ease.
Right, indeed. But I still thought that they looked very cute, LOL.

Rachel Foster

I was at the San Diego Wild Animal Park a few days ago on a "photo safari." One of the other people there was a professional wild life photographer (but I didn't get his name). He had a beauty of a lens.....wide to super tele (17 to 400? 28 to 400? something, and on a Nikon), but he told me he shot the whole thing on 5.6. I was surprised and thought a smaller aperture would have been used.

I opened up from 9 to to 5.6. I'm not thrilled with all the results, but that's due to reasons other than the aperture.

Wow! That's a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery brave child, methinks.

Hi Rachel,

Actually, she's an apprentice falconer. She and the birds were being trained at the same time. She's got the bird affection at a young age indeed. The owner of the place got into the business when he was 14.

These people have a real passion for the birds, even the ugly ones (e.g. vultures), and those are scary (but you'll be okay as long as you keep moving, they go for dead meat, not the moving kind).

Cheers,
Bart

Ivan Garcia

Cem and Bart... Looks like you guys had a beauty of a day.
Great shots from both of you. We want more :)
(edited as my post crossed with Bart's)