• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Some New Steel!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have a fascination with building solid objects, starting with framing and exporting my ideas as real physical objects that can be touched and take up space and a life of their own. . Recently I've taken up work in steel again. It starts as a bent wire model with the ends epoxied into a heavy beam of wood. Then it's fabricated into a larger version. I am now assembling this sculpture. I meant this larger version as merely a maquette for a larger work to be set outside. However i like it so much that I'm going to use it indoors. So far, this is what I have to show:

IMG_1639.jpg

© Asher Kelman Sculpture and photograph: Partners

Steel, 28' x56" x 27"

Next I have to build a base.........

Need more Alieve, LOL! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Not stainless, Jerome, except the base. So it really needs to be protected with lacquer or else primed and painted or even better, powder coated and baked.

The steel is arc welded by a fabricator. I deliver the model made of steel 1/8" diameter which I bend to the required shaped fixed to a wooden base. They copy that but to double the size. I follow its progress and adjust the curves as needed.

Them I will make 3 D computer model and alter it for the final sculpture ~ 3 times the size again. The final size will be 4.5 meters in length.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Not stainless, Jerome, except the base. So it really needs to be protected with lacquer or else primed and painted or even better, powder coated and baked.

The steel is arc welded by a fabricator. I deliver the model made of steel 1/8" diameter which I bend to the required shaped fixed to a wooden base. They copy that but to double the size. I follow its progress and adjust the curves as needed.

Them I will make 3 D computer model and alter it for the final sculpture ~ 3 times the size again. The final size will be 4.5 meters in length.

Sounds like a fabulous project!

Best regards,

Doug

Cool stuff, Asher. To me, it feels like two people doing a dance. Does the final end up in your yard? It seems like this would be huge. The placement of it would be so important.

Jerome Marot

Arc welding is actually not very difficult for normal steel. How do you bend the wires for the model?

Could we have some pictures taken from a different angle? I find it hard to imagine how the 3 wires are arranged.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Now I am getting the picture. Big is good. In the garden is good. Kids swinging from it, washing as well, some cobwebs and a bit of rust, maybe some water for reflection. A nice contrasting colour. Red. Yes, red. and a chair under it for contemplation.

Asher Kelman

Arc welding is actually not very difficult for normal steel. How do you bend the wires for the model?

Could we have some pictures taken from a different angle? I find it hard to imagine how the 3 wires are arranged.

Jerome,

Your interest is appreciated! First the original wire model.

IMG_1803.jpg

Asher Kelman :Bent Wire Model

The steel wire is actually taken from a wire fence so it has seemingly irregular bends already in it. Actually these is from the fact that these strands of steel were woven into a giant mesh which I re-purposed. The irregularities I simply ignored as I designed the curves I wanted, wrapping the wire round objects of the diameter I needed, and forcing the curve to follow my wishes!

So here's some pictures with 1" tubular steel, before I decided on a lighter base.

Asher 16 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman :Built with 1" tubular steel 1

Asher17.jpg

Asher Kelman :Built with 1" tubular steel 2

Hope that makes it clearer.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Now I am getting the picture. Big is good. In the garden is good. Kids swinging from it, washing as well, some cobwebs and a bit of rust, maybe some water for reflection. A nice contrasting colour. Red. Yes, red. and a chair under it for contemplation.

Funny you should mention it, Fahim. I had the camera there only this morning. The usual polyp search. Not sure if they used EVF. All clear, although they did find the remote for my TV. I wondered where that had gone. Chances are the tube became as convoluted as Asher's statue. Maybe that's where he got the idea.
I was in no way being derogatory in regard to Asher's masterpiece. I like garden sculpture. Installations like this become part of the furniture, so to speak. Kids should be able to play on it, people should sit on it, things should be hung on it, it should be allowed to age as the family does. Such sculpture grows with meaning as well as form and structure. It will become Granpa's Folly and will be spoken of with fondness in years to come. When I get there I'm going to climb it, if I can.
How's the ticker, by the way? You back on your feet? Can I niggle you yet? Just a little bit?

Asher Kelman

No rust, I'm afraid. No laundry or kids on it, either. This version will be indoors by a window and just the tubular curves painted RAL 3026

RAL-3026-Leuchthellrot.gif

fensterversand.com: RAL 3026, Luminous Bright Red!

Only imaginary relationships, not objects themselves, were referenced in this study which deals with just tentative connections.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
No rust, I'm afraid. No laundry or kids on it, either. This version will be indoors by a window and just the tubular curves painted

Only imaginary relationships, not objects themselves, were referenced in this study which deals with just tentative connections.

Asher

I'll hang my hat on it when I come visit. Figuratively speaking, I already have. Is that tentative enough for you?

Chris Calohan

An interesting project. it is quite similar, and I mean this is a very nice way, to the wire sculptures I hade my sculpture students do. They used 1.8" aluminum wire. I wanted to real wire and let the students solder but was told that was too dangerous...same kids that were using ether in the process of wet plate work...at any rate, one year a student did a masterful rendition of the belly to belly waltz and the admin not just killed his idea, they stopped me from ever doing wire again. I played stupid as di the kid and we lived to artistically harass another day.

I really like this project.

James Lemon

I have a fascination with building solid objects, starting with framing and exporting my ideas as real physical objects that can be touched and take up space and a life of their own. . Recently I've taken up work in steel again. It starts as a bent wire model with the ends epoxied into a heavy beam of wood. Then it's fabricated into a larger version. I am now assembling this sculpture. I meant this larger version as merely a maquette for a larger work to be set outside. However i like it so much that I'm going to use it indoors. So far, this is what I have to show:

IMG_1639.jpg

© Asher Kelman Sculpture and photograph: Partners

Steel, 28' x56" x 27"

Next I have to build a base.........

Need more Alieve, LOL! :)

Asher

Interesting project Asher! I like the abstract nature of this but I wonder how much thought went into the frame that it is welded to. The reason I ask is I think it should conform to the sculpture itself in someway but it does not seem to fit the arcs and curves. Maybe it's because we live in a world of right angles.

Asher Kelman

Interesting project Asher! I like the abstract nature of this but I wonder how much thought went into the frame that it is welded to. The reason I ask is I think it should conform to the sculpture itself in someway but it does not seem to fit the arcs and curves. Maybe it's because we live in a world of right angles.

Great points, Jim,

A lot of thought went into the base. first it was to be wood but then this lacked unity. Then I tried steel, it was to be black or oxidized, but this was foreign. Then I realized that with the tubes being bright red, the pattern would become mobile in the reflection! So that's the final presentation!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A little further on, the first priming coat.

_R075357_Red_Tube_001.jpg

Asher Kelman: Steel Sculpture: Red

One matter that has to be considered is the base. I added 4 threaded rods near the corners of the steel plate, but with all the work on the top and welding, the steel sheet is no longer mirrored perfectly. So I am removing that base and going to go for a thicker polished steel instead and bolt the sculptural steel on from below.

The idea is to have perfectly flat mirror finish to the steel and and that is pretty hard to do. Photoshop is far easier and less chance of getting burnt and there's no "undo" here or "layers".

Asher

Jerome Marot

The idea is to have perfectly flat mirror finish to the steel

Just drill holes in a mirror plate and let the rods pass through these holes to a second steel plate under it. Weld the rods to the second plate. The bottom plate will serve as support and the top plate will not be deformed from stress either from welding or from the weight of the rods.

Asher Kelman

To update folks, the sculpture has gained a lot of power as I moved it away from a wall. I changed the name from "Partners" to "The Conversation" since that was what was going on. I also realized that it works best when parallax cause distance objects to move fast with a slight movement of one's eyes. So it occurred to me that this deserves a larges space around it with lots of objects at a distance to move in relation to the curves. That we objects enter spaces that appear between curved rods and then a lost and other spaces open up to capture them again.

So there's a dynamic interplay between the sculpture and its environment. I set myself on a task for finding a location outside for a massive version of this work. Now I have reverse engineered the form and in answer for a city's invitation for submissions for a city's art.

ASHER2.165.jpg

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

To update folks, the sculpture has gained a lot of power as I moved it away from a wall . . . Now I have reverse engineered the form and in answer for a city's invitation for submissions for a city's art.

ASHER2.165.jpg

Asher
An excellent move. A wonderful example of what can happen when we are prepared for and alert to opportunities!

I will be anxious to hear of how this project proceeds.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

To update folks, the sculpture has gained a lot of power as I moved it away from a wall. I changed the name from "Partners" to "The Conversation" since that was what was going on. I also realized that it works best when parallax cause distance objects to move fast with a slight movement of one's eyes. So it occurred to me that this deserves a larges space around it with lots of objects at a distance to move in relation to the curves. That we objects enter spaces that appear between curved rods and then a lost and other spaces open up to capture them again.

So there's a dynamic interplay between the sculpture and its environment. I set myself on a task for finding a location outside for a massive version of this work. Now I have reverse engineered the form and in answer for a city's invitation for submissions for a city's art.

ASHER2.165.jpg

Asher

Hello Asher

This would look very impressive indeed! Will you transport this to its location in pieces to be erected on site? What will the weight of this be? Twenty one feet is very high to transport on a truck. Is there a budget?

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher

This would look very impressive indeed! Will you transport this to its location in pieces to be erected on site? What will the weight of this be? Twenty one feet is very high to transport on a truck. Is there a budget?

Best, regards
James

It would be transported by 16/18 wheeler truck.........I have to win the bid first!!!

It's a very tight budget for the dream I have!

Asher