• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sony A7 III + Sigma MC-11 + Canon lenses

Antonio Correia

I am about to buy a Sony A7 III and the two zoom Leica lenses, Sony Vario Tessar 16-35 and 24-70. Well... I was ;)
Surfing on the web I came across Ross McKelvey (in Facebook) from Belfast, who just posted a fantastic shot of his model which you can see bellow, using a Sony A7 III with a Canon lens !
I PM Ross to know which adaptor he was using. He was very kind telling me the brand of the adaptor: Sigma MC-11 Thank you Ross ! :)
I was amazed by the result and by the fact that the camera works nicely with Canon lenses via Sigma adaptor.
Thank you again Ross McKelvey ! :)
[IMG]
© Ross McKelvey

i-54S7zXG-S.png

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

That shot is amazing!

Yes that’s a super choice. A metabones adapter is also great.

I routinely have used the Canon, 50mm 1.2L with the A7RII and III. The 70-200 2.8 L IS version I and Version II are also fabulous.

The sigma superzoom, however with the Metabones adapter is clumsy. It might be perfect with the Sigma adapter as it is built specifically to understand both lenses.

Also you can adapt old mirror lenses and any screwmount Pentax. AF can now be added to Leica M lenses using a new smart AF adapter I believe from Techart.

Asher

Yes, the shot is great, but my gosh, sorry, but does the model really have to wear that much make-up. Not the eye makeup but the pancake stuff. When I look at her nose, it looks like she dipped it in a bucket of paint. Makes me shiver as to me it's just as bad as someone over softening by taking all texture out and making the model look like plastic. The shot, on the other hand shows the capability of the lenses using the adaptor and how great a job it can do. :) Maggie

Jerome Marot

I am about to buy a Sony A7 III and the two zoom Leica lenses, Sony Vario Tessar 16-35 and 24-70. Well... I was ;)

I would not advise to buy these "Zeiss" branded zooms anyway. The main problem is that these "Zeiss" branded glasses have a noticeably different rendering than other Sony glass or Canon glass.

If you have the money to burn, try the "G Master" branded f/2.8 versions. They are as good as can be, although the 24-70 is a bit heavy.

Of course, if you already have Canon glass, just use that with the adapter.

Another alternative are lenses from Minolta of Sony for the older A mount. Sony has adapters for them so that they behave like native lenses.

Yes, the shot is great, but my gosh, sorry, but does the model really have to wear that much make-up.

I agree with you Maggie. I never understood the attraction for that much make-up.

Asher Kelman

Maggie,

As to the makeup it’s style, ritual, fashion and custom. Folk don’t examine skin texture as we do, but rather expect a plumber to smell and show his butt crack, as he works and the policewoman to arrive dressed smartly and the model to shape the loose silk of her dress with her bare thighs as she saunters the runway.

Make up corresponds with these styles. A officer with a model’s makeup, here, would be sent home. A model with skin pores would be only in a special designer collection, but then her eyebrows and eyes would be an extravaganza and she would have a brick of gold or a parrot in her hair!

It’s like prayer books in a church, temple, mosque or union hall! All weirdly different, unexplainable, even bizarre but still unquestionably perfect for the setting!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I don't quite agree. I rather believe that men's tastes in women are as varied as women's tastes in men, so that some men will like this kind of make-up and other less so. What obscures the view and even more so for women than for men, is that there is a very potent fashion and cosmetics industry working day and night to convince everyone that only one style is attractive in women. It makes sense that women are more sensitive to this message because, first it is mainly directed to them as primary customers and, second they lack the innate knowledge of what makes a woman sexually attractive (unless they are lesbian or bisexual, of course).

As police squads are mixed in Munich, I have sometimes noticed policewomen with make up. As to plumbers, I mainly care about no leaks and unclogged drains.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

Of course, since it’s all cultural, what might be expected of certain woman or a woman might “think” is expected is going to vary.

In Los Angeles, the makeup is a constant quality with particular circles of women friends. It only seems to change for an event, where the woman is in suddenly the hands of a makeup artist or fashionista! That new insight might get fed back to her group of friends!

Otherwise, women tend to show every day, the same. Otherwise it wouldn’t be “them”!

Either bare skin (but lipstick or gloss and basic eye liner) or (especially women over 35 or so), others seem to go for the perfect monolayer of foundation and then their makeup scheme above it!

We, as photographers, have a level of observation that far exceeds 98% of the population, who seem to accept plastered pores as normal!

The natural look is definitely seen as fresh and young, but the plastered look, is not considered some “disguise”. Rather it’s like those famous “powdered wigs” in Versailles, elite and showing class!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Jerome for your advise. I do know know exactly what rendering is but never mind. Really, I trust your word ! (y)
If I have money to burn on this ? I will try to get some and make the right option: G Master lenses: 2 zooms: the 16-35 and the 24-70 !
But I go slowly...
I am not as picky as you are but I am picky enough !
About the make up look here in Face
i-426sVBF-X2.png

Antonio Correia

A little help if you please, Jerome :)
I have two Canon lenses: the 16-35 f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/2.8. Also an old 5D...
A couple of years ago I moved to m4/3 but now, I want to add Sony A7 III to the arsenal while using the available Canon lenses.
I am particularly attracted by the eye focus and the tracking system of the camera !

I have two question which will decide my choice and I thought you would give me a help.

A - Shall I get a Sigma AMC 11 adaptor or a Metabones ?
Why this question ? Because Metabones adaptors are exclusively designed and studied to the camera and to the lens they connect, while Sigma is not. Perhaps a poor reason...
I have however, seen some videos where people were using Sigma AMC 11 with success... no time to see more videos where people are using Metabones...

B - One UHS-II SD Cards and the other UHS-I SD Card ? Or both UHS-II SD Cards ?
Are these cards well chosen ?

Not using the camera professionally and rarely doing video, I assume that one battery is enough.

My order is the one bellow. (The Jupio Plate is to charge the battery when needed...) I have the charger.

Thank you ! :)

[IMG]

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

A little help if you please, Jerome :)
I have two Canon lenses: the 16-35 f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/2.8. Also an old 5D...
A couple of years ago I moved to m4/3 but now, I want to add Sony A7 III to the arsenal while using the available Canon lenses.
I am particularly attracted by the eye focus and the tracking system of the camera !

I would love to help you but, quite frankly, I have no idea which adapter is the best choice. I never used them (I don't have Canon lenses) and I don't think my A7RII has the advanced AF functions you are interested in. Although I use AF, I rarely if ever use the tracking functions.

However, I am not sure about the particulars of your camera but I think that some of the most advanced tracking functions are reserved for specific lenses and might not work with adapted lenses. The GM 16-35 and 24/70 f/2.8 lenses focus groups are built completely differently than earlier lenses and focus much, much faster than them. They may be required for the tracking functions you have in mind.

A few other things: I wonder why your cart is in dutch and you may want to reconsider the SD card. Sony SD cards are expensive and not better.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Jerome for your opinion ! Appreciated ! :)
My cart is in Dutch because it is easier to get all the items together in a virtual shop.
So, instead of Sony Cards, I can go to SanDisk cards for example. In fact, I have been shooting with SanDisk cards for years without any problem...
Stop tempting me, Jerome !!! STOP ! Please... talking about those GM over and over... very cruel !

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

My cart is in Dutch because it is easier to get all the items together in a virtual shop.

That does not explain why the language is dutch, does it?

So, instead of Sony Cards, I can go to SanDisk cards for example. In fact, I have been shooting with SanDisk cards for years without any problem...

Samsung micro-SD are fast and quite cheap and come with an SD adapter. I use one in a 4K camcorder. Or does the A7 III supports the extra contacts of UHS-II cards?

Stop tempting me, Jerome !!! STOP ! Please... talking about those GM over and over... very cruel !

I am not trying to tempt you, but you said you were interested in AF tracking modes. Check in the A7 manual what these tracking modes require.