• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sony Artisan Calibration Error, looking for help

Paul Caldwell

I have a Artisan, which has developed the "too much light in the room" error when I start the calibration.

I have downloaded Karl Lang's 1.3.9 fix but when I start the calibration process, I get a communicaiton error and the process won't start. If I put my old calibration script back in the folder, I don't get the communication error and the process starts but I get the too much light error.

In the past I have gotten around this only because I moved the Sony Artisian to a different physical machine. When you do this all the errors seem to go away and you can start up fresh.

My quesitons,

1. Does anyone have Karl's patch 1.3.9 artisan patch working in XP? If so is there anyway you could email me that script file? I would greatly appreicate it.

2. Does anyone know of a way to get all of the current Sony Artisan software out of an installed XP machine? I ask this as I could possibly get everything out of the machine and try a fresh install.

3. Any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate.

Paul Caldwell

Kyle Nagel

Has anyone aver figured this out? I am having the same problem now with my Artisan, I can't get it to calibrate and the Karl Lang Patch gives me the same communication error Paul is getting. I don't see any replies and I was hoping someone had figured out how to fix this problem.

Kyle Nagel

OK, here's how you fix this Artisan calibration problem, wait until your monitor has warmed up for 2 or 3 hours, go into the monitor menu, the menu you access by pressing the menu button below the screen, not the software menu. Select the second item up from the bottom, it should be labeled "option" at the top of the on-screen-display, select it and go to the bottom item in the sub menu, the square with 3 dots in it and select the "easy" mode. Now go out to the main menu again and select the third item from the bottom, again a square with three dots in it, it will say "color" at the top. if you select this option it gives you two other options, the top one is once again the square with the three dots, the second one is two triangles pointing to a dot between them, select this option, you will notice it says "Image restoration", select "OK" under this option and press the selector to execute the restoration routine. Now repeat the "image restoration" again. Now go back to the main menu and select the expert mode where you had changed it to easy. Now go back to the main menu and select the third item from the bottom again, the 3 dots in the square, you will now notice now you have both brightness and contrast controls for all three color-channels. Select the brightness for each of them (the top three settings) and change it to 50% on all three. Now hook up your sensor puck and calibrate, Voila!

PS. If your monitor has not warmed up sufficiently (with a bright image) it will tell you "Image Restoration will be available once it has warmed up.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nigel,

this is an amazing end to the Artisan calibration saga! When and how did you find the solution during this last 11 months?

Asher

Kyle Nagel

It's a somewhat long story, 8 or 9 months ago I was searching the internet for a solution to this and came across a posting on a website forum that I believe was posted by someone that used to work for Sony as a tech support person. In reply to someone’s complaint about the profiling issue he briefly stated that you just reset the monitor under the monitor settings menu, and then turn down the RGB brightness settings. I replied to the post asking for more details but he never replied with more information. I decided to give it try and went into the monitor menu and found a reset option. When I selected it my monitor reset it's self to the factory settings (Big, Big, Mistake!). Evidently it changed some settings that can only be set by the calibration process, so even though I hadn’t been able to calibrate it for quite a while, the monitor it's self had kept these changes. Now my monitor was all washed out and the image was horrible looking. I tried adjusting the settings myself with no success. I also tried various profiling devices over several months. I own an EyeOne Disply2 that I even tried using, with little success, though it did help a little. I also tried various manual profiling techniques, also with little success. It was the other day while I was once again trying to profile it manually that I decided to change the monitor mode from “Expert” to “Easy”(There are 4 choices, Easy, Expert, Preset, and sRGB). I didn't think this would help because I assumed easy mode would have fewer setting options and most likely have some sort of basic presets. It was while I was in the Easy mode I discovered the "Image Restoration" option, I wondered if this was what the poster had meant when he said to "reset the monitor". I tried to find the forum where he had posted this information to see if he had ever replied to my question. Unfortunately it had been over 8 months and I could not find the forum where this had been originally posted, so I decided to give it a try and see what happened. Wow! When you select it the display goes through several flashes and resets and then comes back up. As soon as I had restored the image I knew I was on the right track, the display got much darker and the contrast and color looked a lot better, although it was still not quite right. I turned down the RGB brightness settings to 50%, tried profiling, and to my amazement it profiled perfectly in about 12 minutes, just like it did when it was new! To test my theory I called another photographer that had an Artisan he had been struggling with and asked him to try it. When he first tried it he said the restoration function wasn't available because it hadn't warmed up. He waited a while and was finally able to do the image restoration, he said it changed a little but would still not profile. I asked him to walk through it with me over the phone to make sure he had done it correctly. He said after the second time it had made a much much bigger change in the image, but he was still sure he had done it the same way the first time, hence I have included the step of performing the image restoration twice time in my instructions. The good news is after his second try it worked perfectly and his monitor profiled perfectly, just like mine did! If someone else out there could try this and give us a third confirmation we can then be sure the steps I listed will work for everyone.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Artisan Re calibration Solution

Kyle,

This is an amazing story of perseverance and it paid off. My last CRT monitor is still sitting idle but it's not an Artisan. I got seduced by the free space on my desk and the feeling that I wasn't being radiated.

Your work should help a lot of folk out there who think there Artisan is Kaput!

Asher