• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Sony RX100

fahim mohammed

We spent the day at my son's house. I took the opportunity to test the RX100.
Set it on high contrast B&W.
All auto. No flash.

Nothing of importance; just tests as I found some things.

p1315602792-5.jpg

p1315602840-5.jpg

p1315602946-5.jpg

p1315603108-5.jpg

I am beginning to like this little gem.

fahim mohammed

I have left it unused for sometime. The battery seems to be full. So I took the RX100 just to make some snaps. In jpg. I have installed an old PS on my wife's computer ( her grumblings notwithstanding!! ).

The colors seem to be on the reddish side; but I guess they could be tweaked.
This puppy is sharp.

jpg 100% crop.

p1343686846-4.jpg

p1343686862-4.jpg

p1343686902-4.jpg

One cannot expect shallow dof from the small sensor. And it does not have a macro function either.
Here is one as near as I could get ( f1.8 is only at the wide end ).

p1343686884-4.jpg

Here is one just to test high iso ( I have to check for the settings ).
p1343686920-4.jpg

fahim mohammed

Asher, the RX100 would appear to be. Just what the doctor ordered if one is looking for very good iq in a pocket size package.
And as a carry always cam.

Regards.

fahim mohammed

Asher..I have called it quits for buying cameras. Until I get rid of a few. But which ones? :)

I have heard very good reports of the Sigma DP Merril. The Sony RX1..well lets see where they go with it.

Regards.

p.s. It is good that you did not see this: Here

fahim mohammed

From a book of Dutch painters...this one by Adrianus Eversen, " A village scene ".

p1346753452-5.jpg

From a wall hanging in the house...

p1346753474-5.jpg

Another one; a ceramic design...

p1346753498-5.jpg

All indoors without flash.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
From a book of Dutch painters...this one by Adrianus Eversen, " A village scene ".

p1346753452-5.jpg

From a wall hanging in the house...

p1346753474-5.jpg

Another one; a ceramic design...

p1346753498-5.jpg

All indoors without flash.

Fahim,

I'm really impressed with the rich color and contrast! But there must be so much more. What shutter speed and ISO? Hand held? Av or program mode?

How about some individual flowers to exploit the rich color and precision of this little marvel?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Just a few random thoughts based on my limited experience with this cam.

Stabilization: works pretty well..upto a point. I am lulled into a false sense that I could hold it at much slower speeds..because of it size. This is not true. I get blurry pictures, if I am sloppy. There is not the feel of holding the cam to your eyes and face..which provides a comfortable stabilization platform.

Focus: this is something I have to work on. The RX100 uses contrast detect. Just not accurate enough for very critical focussing. Holding the cam at arm's length to look at the rear screen and focussing introduces, for me, movement in the arms. Another variable to take care of. It can never approach the accuracy of a rangefinder nor that of my Nikon.

I do miss the creative control of choosing what and by how much the front and behind objects are in focus. This is crucial for me, but in a small sensor ( even at f1.8 ) that control is missing.

Exposure: this has been a hit and miss for me. The screen is never right to judge exposure. The evaluative metering is pretty good..but I am beginning to recognize the amount of compensation that is
required. The dynamic range cannot compete with a full frame or even an aps-c sensor; but is way better than similar sized p&s.

Size: there is no way my other cams can compete with this one. That is a big plus for this one.

Battery: I am surprised that it seems to last as long as it has. I have not actually counted the shots, but
I am chimping consistently and the power is going strong. Plus here.

Function Key: this is excellent. I have assigned the most common functions to the key and has made me avoid the menu selections to a great extent.

Flash: I had forgotten it had a flash. Have not tested it.

Ergonomics: I do not have big hands, but still I find the cam to be small. I have hit wrong buttons inadvertently multiple times. I guess this is a pocket cam is supposed to measure!

In general, a lovely piece of electronics gadgetry..that might come in handy at various times to take
Photographs.

fahim mohammed

.... What shutter speed and ISO? Hand held? Av or program mode?

Asher

#1: f/5, 1/80, 800, +0.3, Av, pattern, AWB, 28mm

#2: f/2.5, 1/40, 800, +0.3, Av, pattern, AWB, 28mm

#3: f/2.5, 1/50, 800, +1, Av, pattern, AWB, 28mm.

All other setting were ' Normal '. Stabilization was ' On '. Hand Held.

fl, ss, iso, exp comp, mode, exposure mode, col bal, eq 35mm fl.

fahim mohammed

Putting the RX 100 through a grueling journey..

p1416411058-5.jpg

I shall be posting more from this little gem of a cam, as I go along. It got drenched in a tropical rainstorm. I dried it out, carefully.

It clicked. And we were off!!

Asher Kelman

Putting the RX 100 through a grueling journey..

p1416411058-5.jpg

I shall be posting more from this little gem of a cam, as I go along. It got drenched in a tropical rainstorm. I dried it out, carefully.

It clicked. And we were off!!

Fahim,

Have we just seen this woman in B&W? Perhaps not, the other woman seems younger. But I do get the same feeling of bonding with her. A lot of humanity is in that open air room! Is she cooking for a lot of people or dying cloth?

Asher

fahim mohammed

No these are two different places, this is the north of Laos, and different persons.

The woman is actually boiling bamboo shoots/shreads for producing paper. More on that later on. A small video I made.

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

While we are presumably still on the RX 100, can you say something about it's ability to find focus easily. slow focus ruins even the best cameras, unless it's well set up for MF.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

While we are presumably still on the RX 100, can you say something about it's ability to find focus easily. slow focus ruins even the best cameras, unless it's well set up for MF.

Asher

I have missed focus on occasions. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But I do have a tendency of focusing and then framing. The AE/AL should be working, but has missed with me.

I find this particularly in low contrast scenes..expected upto a point.

I have missed focus more on a person's nose than on objects.

Asher Kelman

I have missed focus on occasions. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But I do have a tendency of focusing and then framing. The AE/AL should be working, but has missed with me.

I find this particularly in low contrast scenes..expected upto a point.

I have missed focus more on a person's nose than on objects.

This is an interesting issue. The shift focus can easily be addressed by modern cameras, but AFAIK, only one MF camera does that and I think it's Hasselblad. If that shift changes the angle between the camera and the subject, the DOF plane shifts. I move the camera in that exact plane if I can. however, the computer could and should sense the move and recalculate instantly.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

This is fabulous to the nth! I hope you lingered a little while. Tell us a little about her work too. I'd be out of my mind if I saw this anywhere within a 1,000 miles of here! This goes in the keepers file and back it up too!

Asher

Thanks Asher.

I am on the road again. 4-5 hrs. No cell or wifi. Catch you later.

Best.

fahim mohammed

Since Asher mentioned Vang Vieng..why not let you see the limestone karst formations along the Nam Song river.

I shall have much more to say about this place later on.

I took a ride on the river. See for yourself..

Nam Song

p.s. might not work! I shall try and fix it.

fahim mohammed

Thanks Asher.

Time to move again. Catching a flight to Kuala Lumpur and then home.

Been a wonderful trip. But I miss home.

Kindest regards.

p.s. I almost forgot..

p1423953140.jpg

fahim mohammed

I was just finishing up. Packed my Ipad after the last post. Drank my coffee.

I heard music, noise..just now.

So unedited, from the Ipad..

p1423968844-5.jpg

Right now. As it happened.

Bye.