• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sony Technical Dilema

Peter Dexter

I have two Sony cameras, an a6000 and an RX100 V. I also have a Mac computer. Until recently I was able to download videos to it using Sony's play memories program but not directly to the proprietary photos application. The other day I updated the Mac to the Mac OS Big Sur platform and low and behold there is no play memories version compatible with it. Is there a work around that will allow me to get Sony videos on to the Mac?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have two Sony cameras, an a6000 and an RX100 V. I also have a Mac computer. Until recently I was able to download videos to it using Sony's play memories program but not directly to the proprietary photos application. The other day I updated the Mac to the Mac OS Big Sur platform and low and behold there is no play memories version compatible with it. Is there a work around that will allow me to get Sony videos on to the Mac?
Perhaps!

Restart your Mac in “Recovery“ mode, (by holding down R), and then reinstall your Mac OS on the external drive.

it should install your original OS.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Just in case you have difficulty installing on an external hard drive, (as there can be GUID issues involved), use this toolkit!

Jerome Marot

I never used any application to download the videos of my Sony cameras on my mac. Just put the card in a reader and copy the files to where you want them is enough.

Asher Kelman

I never used any application to download the videos of my Sony cameras on my mac. Just put the card in a reader and copy the files to where you want them is enough.
Same here!

But for some, that’s just how they work. Will Thompson won’t buy a camera that doesn’t transfer his pictures wirelessly

To me it’s not an issue!

Except if you have dropped an SD card in the long grass or sand!

Asher

Peter Dexter

I open "pictures" and connect the cameras to the Mac by USB. Still images transfer ok but with Big Sur I now have to try twice. Don't know what that's about. Videos don't show up at all. I will have to look into an external drive but it might be above my pay grade.

Asher Kelman

I open "pictures" and connect the cameras to the Mac by USB. Still images transfer ok but with Big Sur I now have to try twice. Don't know what that's about. Videos don't show up at all. I will have to look into an external drive but it might be above my pay grade.
Simply follow the instructions to go back to what you had. I am at High Sierra, because I value all my various other programs working. The latest versions of the older Mac OS are ALSO updated for security so they are also fit to be used.

Asher