• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: southern storms

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi,

In our part of Austria we have a storm phenomina called "Foehn", which is a wind from the southside of the alps falling down on our north side with tremendous strength and giving headache to the people :))

But in fall or even more in winter this storm is a spectacular creator of drama (and we are living at the overall best seat in the box) :

p1337593676-5.jpg

p1337599266-5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

In our part of Austria we have a storm phenomina called "Foehn", which is a wind from the southside of the alps falling down on our north side with tremendous strength and giving headache to the people :))

But in fall or even more in winter this storm is a spectacular creator of drama (and we are living at the overall best seat in the box) :

p1337593676-5.jpg

Wolfgang,

One can get a sense of the wind force by the sweep of one of the clouds as the winds must drive part of the cloud to a totally different level. There's a huge amount of cloud sculpture as a reflection of the air being driven up and then down again.

Looking forward to learning more. Now do you know any birders in your area. I'be been told by Mike Spinak that hawks use winds like this to aid their hunting, and if one knows the area, one can get wonderful pictures of the birds in almost stationary positions over their hunting territories. They can balance their wing angles to the wind and that's an energy efficient way of staying aloft!

Asher

On a lighter note, did you notice the happy elephant coming in from the lower right? :)

Steve Robinson

I've also heard of the foehn wind. It can be spectacular when it gets really cold and a wall of cloud forms on the lee side of the mountains. I like your images of the clouds formed by the wind.

Here in Montana we have a similar wind that flows over Rockies although here it's called a Chinook. The word Chinook is a Native American term which translates to "snow eater" as the descending air on the east side of the mountains raises the temperature. There have been times when the temperature has risen 70 degrees F or more overnight.

Steve Robinson

I've also heard of the foehn wind. It can be spectacular when it gets really cold and a wall of cloud forms on the lee side of the mountains. I like your images of the clouds formed by the wind.

Here in Montana we have a similar wind that flows over Rockies although here it's called a Chinook. The word Chinook is a Native American term which translates to "snow eater" as the descending air on the east side of the mountains raises the temperature. There have been times when the temperature has risen 70 degrees F or more overnight.