• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spider on a Wire

Lee Tracy

DSC_1425-001.JPG

Lee Tracy: Spider & The Rain Drop

A very small spider becomes translucent as the light shines through its body. The rain still hanging on the fence poses a considerable barrier to its progress. Its method of dealing with the drops was fascinating (and impossible to capture) - it would probe the drop with its front legs, then drop down just slightly more than the height of the drop on a strand of web before leaping across the drop. The flare of light in the drop for dramatic effect was just an added bonus the universe sent :)

Cropped, and slight edge definition applied to accentuate fine details.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A very small spider becomes translucent as the light shines through its body. The rain still hanging on the fence poses a considerable barrier to its progress. Its method of dealing with the drops was fascinating (and impossible to capture) - it would probe the drop with its front legs, then drop down just slightly more than the height of the drop on a strand of web before leaping across the drop. The flare of light in the drop for dramatic effect was just an added bonus the universe sent :)

DSC_1425-001.JPG

I commend you for your patient observation. The result is rewarding. This is one of the few occasions where a fast sequence of shots would produce an amazing sequence. This is worth working on as you could easily publish the result. It would take about $40 to rent an older Nikon or Canon camera with a macro lens.

Asher

Lee Tracy

DSC_1425-001.JPG

I commend you for your patient observation. The result is rewarding. This is one of the few occasions where a fast sequence of shots would produce an amazing sequence. This is worth working on as you could easily publish the result. It would take about $40 to rent an older Nikon or Canon camera with a macro lens.

Asher

Yeah not in the middle of nowhere where I am. I have a Nikon and I have a macro lens hence the photos. The issue is FOCUSING with it. Between the slight sway of the fence, the slight sway in the human, and the spider making like spiderman - focusing she hard! This is the one shot out of the sequence that was in focus. "My focus needs more focus".

James Lemon

DSC_1425-001.JPG

Hi Lee

This is very cool looking spider with the starburst! However, compositional rules are meant to be broken but when it comes to having a strong diagonal line entering or exiting the corner of a frame this this rule would be the exception unless of course it were an abstract picture.

James

Lee Tracy

Hi Lee

This is very cool looking spider with the starburst! However, compositional rules are meant to be broken but when it comes to having a strong diagonal line entering or exiting the corner of a frame this this rule would be the exception unless of course it were an abstract picture.

James

Could you explain? I'm not sure what you mean with the rule about diagonals. Impossible to have the wire any other way although I suppose I could have made it a straight line - which would have had to have been straightened after as I'm not sure I could have got the wire straight and everything else in the same relation to each other to get the spider and the flare at the same time.

James Lemon

Could you explain? I'm not sure what you mean with the rule about diagonals. Impossible to have the wire any other way although I suppose I could have made it a straight line - which would have had to have been straightened after as I'm not sure I could have got the wire straight and everything else in the same relation to each other to get the spider and the flare at the same time.

Hello Lee

The diagonal line is a strong line in any composition next to the (S-Curve being even stronger) Like I said the one rule you should never break in a composition is to have a diagonal line entering or exiting directly through the corner of a frame except in an abstract image. You can crop the top of the image until the diagonal line no longer exits directly out the corner of the frame.Forgive me for taking the liberty of cropping this but it helps to explain the general idea.

i-B3nzbXt-L.jpg

Lee Tracy

Hello Lee

The diagonal line is a strong line in any composition next to the (S-Curve being even stronger) Like I said the one rule you should never break in a composition is to have a diagonal line entering or exiting directly through the corner of a frame except in an abstract image. You can crop the top of the image until the diagonal line no longer exits directly out the corner of the frame.Forgive me for taking the liberty of cropping this but it helps to explain the general idea.

i-B3nzbXt-L.jpg

ok gotcha now. hmmm let me contemplate that one and see how I feel about it.

FYI all rules are there to be broken when breaking them works better :)