• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spring is for the birds

Robert Watcher

After dropping Anne off at her mother’s house to help her out, I decided to drive out the side road to see what was happening in a boggy area with a river and old dead trees. I couldn’t get close to anything, so had my longest lens (600mm equiv) shooting from the car window. It took about 1/2 hour before birds got comfortable enough to return.

I also shot a bit of video of the sounds and a couple of active birds, which is amazing that any of the footage was usable —- I was shooting handheld at 600mm - a real testament to Olympus image stabilization.

Primarily I was interested in the woodpecker tapping away for minutes on end. I noticed some activity in a tall tree, and grabbed shots of a pair of birds. I recognized them as different to any that I personally have seen here in our area, so when I got home was able to identify them as Northern Flickers.

E18D4148-EAB2-4B1E-B3BF-711D5B16ED82.jpeg

2720C167-A2D9-4CEC-A250-C9F3F06EB367.jpeg

Robert Watcher

This guy wasn’t propped on a nice branch, but he’s nice and clear and striking against the blue sky. I will take that for today.

AC65ACD6-1DF5-4460-96A5-5E3875D7A09F.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful birds, Robert. Liked the video too. Especially hearing the tat tat tat of the woodpecker boring a hole. Wanted to leave you a youtube comment, but saw you had comments turned off.

Robert Watcher

Thank you Maggie. Thanks for the heads up on YouTube comments. Wasn’t aware.

I have my videos listed as appropriate for Kids, when I upload. Just realized that this turns off Comments. Have changes that setting.

Last edited: