• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stairs

Cem_Usakligil

I have a mild obsession with photographing stairs which are kind of run-down like this one. I have taken this particular one due to the composition made possible by the light and the shadows on the steps. There is this dark area on the left extending to a zebra pattern horizontally towards the right.

stairs2.jpg

Cheers,

Gary Ayala

To moi ... this is an odd image ... yet enjoyable nontheless. The contrast make it hard to focus and view ... yet it is the contrast which makes one view longer ... I like the image.

Gary

PS- Cropping out he wall completely make the image a bit more mysterious ... cropping out the OOF portion of the wall makes the image easier to view.
G

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

I immediately like the idea. Stairs are a great subject and this is a novel view. Could you process the leaves separately so then the stairs will get more presence because they are not that.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

I immediately like the idea. Stairs are a great subject and this is a novel view. Could you process the leaves separately so then the stairs will get more presence because they are not that.

Asher
Hi Asher,

Could you please explain what you mean precisely? Thx.

Asher Kelman

Cem,

Hi Cem,

When one makes global changes to the photograph to make the stairs look their best, the leaves will not necessarily be optimized too. It's always unlikely to get such different structure, the leaves and the stairs to be their best by one conversion. The stone is hard, the leaves are delicate. When you perfectly demonstrate the texture and shading of the leaves, then the picture segments into parts. The steps will then seem to be a structure on which there are leaves rather than a blend of the two.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

When one makes global changes to the photograph to make the stairs look their best, the leaves will not necessarily be optimized too. It's always unlikely to get such different structure, the leaves and the stairs to be their best by one conversion. The stone is hard, the leaves are delicate. When you perfectly demonstrate the texture and shading of the leaves, then the picture segments into parts. The steps will then seem to be a structure on which there are leaves rather than a blend of the two.

Asher
Hi Asher,

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest I have done that. The fine results are lost when I downsize to 800 pixels. Besides, I was kind of trying to portray the decay of the stairs as well as the leaves which blend into the stairs.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest I have done that. The fine results are lost when I downsize to 800 pixels. Besides, I was kind of trying to portray the decay of the stairs as well as the leaves which blend into the stairs.

Cheers,
Here is what I mean. I cropped the picture, this is posted at 50% size of the cropped area:
stairs2_crop.jpg

Asher Kelman

Cem,

Maybe go further. Try something bold, if you still have the layers. Lighten the leaves and their shadows, so they float!

Cem_Usakligil

To moi ... this is an odd image ... yet enjoyable nontheless. The contrast make it hard to focus and view ... yet it is the contrast which makes one view longer ... I like the image.

Gary

PS- Cropping out he wall completely make the image a bit more mysterious ... cropping out the OOF portion of the wall makes the image easier to view.
G
Thanks Gary for the suggestions, I'll give the various crops a go.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
What is it a photograph of?

If the photograph is of the stairs, then cropping only to the leaves makes it a photograph of the leaves.

While I like both...it's up to the photographer to tell us which he wants as the focal point of the image.

Cem_Usakligil

If the photograph is of the stairs, then cropping only to the leaves makes it a photograph of the leaves.

While I like both...it's up to the photographer to tell us which he wants as the focal point of the image.
Hi Kathy,

To me, it is about the stairs primarily. I have posted the crop of the leaves just to demonstrate to Asher that there is a lot of separation and detail in the full sized image which is lost when I downsized to 800px.

Asher Kelman

Hi Kathy,

I didn't see that anyone suggested a crop to the leaves. Rather than that, I'm questioning the fact that the leaves have been shown with the same esthetics as the stairs. The stairs and the leaves then suffer for that. Cem recognizes that and may have in fact exhausted trying out different ways of rendering the leaves v. the stone, but that is part of building the picture to have the most impact. This is not a trivial matter. How the two relate reflects on the qulaity of the steps.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Kathy,

I didn't see that anyone suggested a crop to the leaves. Rather than that, I'm questioning the fact that the leaves have been shown with the same esthetics as the stairs. The stairs and the leaves then suffer for that. Cem recognizes that (and may have in fact exhausted trying out different ways of rendering the leaves v. the stone), for that is part of building the picture to have the most impact. This is not a trivial matter. Just how the two relate to each other, reflects on the physical quality of the steps and our experience of them.

Asher