• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stats & Sales

That reenactment event was the first public event that actually brought me some non-zero sales. I thought it would be interesting to analyze the correlation between the traffic and the sales.

Well, here are the stats:

110320250-L.jpg

That last 10K/day peak is Monday right after the event. Total amount of event-related hits topped 30K.

And all that traffic generated ... 20 prints ordered...
30,000/20 = 1,500 hits/print. Gives you an idea

Just wanted to share some info..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great stats! Did you check where the hits came from? Interesting to know why they come to you?

What utility is this?

Asher

Asher,

Asher Kelman said:
Great stats! Did you check where the hits came from? Interesting to know why they come to you?

What utility is this?

Asher

I wish they were great sales ;-)

This is StatCounter (www.statcounter.com) - great tool, but the free version stores only 100 hits of detailed info. Luckily daily stats are stored for free.

However in this case I know for sure where 99% of them came from:
http://www.forttejon.org/moorpark
and their photo section.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nik,

It is great to have access to such valuable information, thanks a lot for sharing.
However, I dare say that the ratio of 1/1500 prints/hits is only meaningful in this particular context. And it is a testimony to the great work of yours. If it was rubbish to start with, the ratio would be (near) zero.

Personally, I would like to know what kind of ratios would be applicable in a general context (ie not related to a specific event like Moorpark). In other words, if one was to have a general purpose site showing good/excellent pictures available for sale, what is a realistic estimate for this ratio? Knowing this could mean a lot to people who might be considering starting their own business.

Cheers,

Cem

Cem,

I would not know. However, for a general purpose photography I think it's hard to beat istockphoto or shutterstock.
I still think I was lucky to have the organizers displaying my link. Beating the crowd in PP and uploading helped a bit, too:)

Cheers!

John_Nevill

I've been burying my head in printing for the last two weeks, mulling over my images and preparing for my first ever art and craft event. I'm totally new to this form of outlet. Pricing my work has been a major quandry. I just cant settle on it.

I decided to hand print ~140 images. QImage to the rescue, brilliant application!

I've since prepared 20 A3s in 20x16" mounts, 40 A4s in 14x11" mounts and 80 A5s in 9x7 mounts. Its a major gamble and outlay. Likewise is the subject matter. I've done a fair few dupes and also tried to vary the images, some landscapes, some wildlife and some action etc

Bearing in mind i'm far from being a pro, I've tried to get some insight from other with very mixed opinions. The main seller this time of year is greeting cards, I haven't done any of these, not my bag i'm afraid.

But I'm now thinking the event is more of a step in exhibiting one's work and learning the ropes. Sales on my website are slow, that could be my images, but hey i'm selling to some agencies, so they can't be that bad.

The event is Sunday and hopefully it will attract a few thousand people, i'm putting together a repetitive slideshow (laptop) and have spent sometime laying out the stall, (professional stands and table cloths) and will have my fingers crossed throughout the event.

I wasn't comfortable about asking opnions here (appropriateness of topic), but if anyone has done such events and would like to give me some advice, i'd really appreciate it. Warts and all!

Thanks

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So John, you are matting them or framing too?

Are these full bleed or with a border for signing? Did you go for open or limited prints? The latter seem to give a sense of more value.

I wish you lots of good luck. Have a sign in book! That's very important to get a mailing list this way. Look at Alain Briot's site and glean some marketing. He seems good at marketing himself. Do some free charity work and give out your cards.

Make sure you have enough business cards. Then send you names a news letter on your prints. Alain Briot has a "Print of the Month" deal and adds a certificate of authenticity and a some kind of "Warranty" of swapping it if it fades or I believe if they want to swop it for any other reason. I'm not sure of the details. Also discounts on further prints. It seems that the idea is to make the people feel you have a special relationship with nature and with them so they identify with the process!!!

All this is important on this site since we want you to succeed, not collect lenses!!!

I have never set up a booth. Think of rain! You need to be able to protect your work if it is outside.

Some people make a V-shaped open box of plywood on a stand that hold the prints so they can flip the prints to look at them. One wraps the mounted prints in Plastic Wrap to keep then clean. buy a pair of white goves so the prints look more valuable if you handle naked prints. That's what galleries do.

Have copies of the prints that you hang in the booth in the wood stand and you can also include others. Have price list on larger size custom hand printed. You can hang prints both inside and outside your booth. Have a bowl of candy's. Makes the people visit twice.

Good luck and kind wishes,

Asher

John_Nevill

Thanks for the tips Asher, never thought of the candy or sign in book, great ideas!

The pictures are all matted, full bleed, I intended to sign the reverse side. Not being a great exhibitionist.

Fortunately the event is indoors, the weather's looking really bad. so this should increase the turn out, the brits love wandering around indoor craft fairs when its raining, its a national pastime....the more the merrier.

Alain has some great stuff on his web site, but i'm few 1000 miles from being in his league. But its useful stuff.

I've bagged all the images but have not sealed them, hoping to drop a business card in at point of sale.

Again, thanks for your support, I'm now off to mount the A3s ad buy some candy!

John_Nevill

Here's a update on my first ever craft fair.

I managed to sell 10 prints of various sizes, although didn't break even, but loved every minute of it. Its definitely an experience I'd recommend to anyone wanting to put their work in front of the public.

Unfortunately the turn out was extremely low with minimal publicity being made by the event organisers (according to the other traders).

I was one of seven photographers amongst 200 stalls and probably did quite well due to the novelty, clutter free approach and accessibility of the display.

Pricing was pretty even amongst the competition and I made some interesting friends.

I suppose the most satisfying bit for me was the positive comments on my printing. I was probably the only photographer there that printed my work.

BTW, I didn't need the candy, luck put me right next to a fudge stall.

So what did I learn from the experience?

1) Interact with potential customers at a non technical level and dont get too drawn into technique, you'll end up chatting for hours
2) Don't be over optimistic on sales, think of a number and half it.
3) Dont try and stick matted prints to your display board using double side masking tape (they fall off), use proper velcro and be prepared to treat these images as show pieces, rather than sale items.
4) Swap/add to your display around halfway through the event to add interest
5) Focus on a small product range, far too many photographers had everything from calendars, greeting cards to canvas wall prints and books. Given the limited space, such a broad range adds clutter.
6) Have a 19" LCD running a looped slide show. It really helps to draw attention.
7) Enjoy yourself

I now look forward to my next one!