• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Still Life : Lit by a window!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, I put a new set of windows in my kitchen, so no there's light!

I watch the light strike objects early in the morning as the sun comes up over the large hedge outside.

_MG_3871_700.jpg

Asher Kelman: Fruit in a Black Bowl

Canon 6D

Hope to see a myriad of images by your favorite window light!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Just in case anyone is interested, here's a presentation in B&W.

_MG_3871B_and_W 700.jpg

Canon 6D

Robert Watcher

CUSTOM MADE JEWELRY - ARGENTINIAN ARTIST

AS I am reading this post - I notice a beautiful streak of light coming in the open kitchen door to the street - displaying wonderful patterns on our handmade dining table. I wanted to give this Challenge a try NOW.

My wife had just purchased some jewelry to take home to Canada to the women in our family - and so I asked her to take it out of storage. As we are setting the table, Anne moves the 2 water glasses, but I stop her in her tracks after I noticed the beautiful effect they created on the wood as the sunlight steamed through them.

Unfortunately, just as the table was set up, and I went to get my camera - the sun tucked below the roofs of the houses across the street. We lifted the heavy table and moved it into a slight;y more favourable spot to catch as much light as possible.

I hunted for something to kick light back in on the shadow side, and then noticed my silver coloured Macbook Air. Anne held that in places as I captured these couple of shots taken with my Olympus Pen at 1000 ISO - f5.6 @ 1/10'th second handheld. Processed in Lightroom 5 with my Basic Nica Preset that I use for the grungy look of my travel images.

20131202-PC021388.jpg

© 2013 Robert Watcher

20131202-PC021394.jpg

© 2013 Robert Watcher

Before the sun and light dropped, I took this shot from the doorway of the setup with glasses and Macbook for reflector where you can see how much light it kicked in.

20131202-PC021389.jpg

© 2013 Robert Watcher

Asher Kelman

20131202-PC021388.jpg

© 2013 Robert Watcher

Hi Robert,

I need to look at these images one at a time. With your street photography, you are so adept at getting the person to be more important than anything else and at it's best you work shows a unique truth about the place.

Necklaces and lockets need to demand our attention. Kudus with this setup!

I heard that shooting food is hard. Well shooting jewelry, which is meant to have light focused on iot and sparkle, is really the toughest thing out!

Asher

Well, I put a new set of windows in my kitchen, so no there's light!

I watch the light strike objects early in the morning as the sun comes up over the large hedge outside.

_MG_3871_700.jpg

Canon 6D, 2013

Hope to see a myriad of images by your favorite window light!

Asher

This is beautiful, Asher. The composition and how the fruit are arranged look lovely and the light is very interesting how it caresses the fruit and gives it shape. Nice! :)

I prefer it to the b&w version which I find I am wanting the fruit to have more variety in the tones. This may simply be because I have seen the color one, though, and am expecting the apple, for instance, to be darker. It may be a case of I can't unsee that which I have seen.
Maggie

CUSTOM MADE JEWELRY - ARGENTINIAN ARTIST

20131202-PC021394.jpg
© 2013 Robert Watcher
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Hi Robert,
I hope you are enjoying your stay in Nicaragua.

Of the two images, I prefer this one; it is so much more natural and I love the wonderful light you are getting in the upper-right from the glasses; that is very clever and an idea that I will surely use sometime! :-D
so pretty and the jewelry too!
:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

This is beautiful, Asher. The composition and how the fruit are arranged look lovely and the light is very interesting how it caresses the fruit and gives it shape. Nice! :)

I prefer it to the b&w version which I find I am wanting the fruit to have more variety in the tones. This may simply be because I have seen the color one, though, and am expecting the apple, for instance, to be darker. It may be a case of I can't unsee that which I have seen.
Maggie

Maggie,

I used to think that Color was the most difficult part of being a competent photographer. however, the more experience I have convinces me that the masters set such high standards that it's harder to reach mastery. Color is such an emotional overlay that we're given bonus points for sentimentality and passion that colors trigger.

So here's another in color in natural window light taken in 2007.

_MG_9337cone_red_seeds_BowlFruit.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Fruits and Red Seeds

Canon 5D, 2007

I love the Sienna colors. I think of apple cider with cloves and sunsets in Tuscany!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael Nagel: Projection - Reflection

That's a unique and considerate view as one thinks of the rest of the room and who might be there. Our minds love to rebuild structures and weigh possibilities. The light is most gentle.

The angle? Intentional and final? Either way, I like the questions going through my head, the beginning of a story!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Intentional and final - absolutely.
You are the second to ask my such a question - why?

For anyone asking about the final angle I have this fine parody (The painting is lopsided) by this gentleman.
Enjoy.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Forgive me for seemingly trespassing.I should remember! Of course you'd make it orthogonal had you wished. I'm stressing that it's your intent and that's a learning point for those that follow. It's the setting that you provide that's the only legitimate presentation!

Asher

Maggie,

I used to think that Color was the most difficult part of being a competent photographer. however, the more experience I have convinces me that the masters set such high standards that it's harder to reach mastery. Color is such an emotional overlay that we're given bonus points for sentimentality and passion that colors trigger.

So here's another in color in natural window light taken in 2007.

_MG_9337cone_red_seeds_BowlFruit.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Fruits and Red Seeds

Canon 5D, 2007

I love the Sienna colors. I think of apple cider with cloves and sunsets in Tuscany!

Asher

Ah, you can feel Xmas approaching with this one. Really nice! :)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Almost 18 months ago, we had a flood which ruined our kitchen. Now it's boasting two brand new tall windows to let in the morning light!

_MG_4946.jpg

Asher Kelman: New Windows Installed to get Morning light!

Canon 6D​

I removed fruit and squash from my black stoneware bowl to rinse it and then realized that with my new countertop by the window, I could photograph the autumn colors on a b.g. of white. Also, since there are two tall new windows side by side, there will be a drop in light in the center which will be interesting.

So I started with the fruit and went next door to the abandoned house and stole some fallen cones with bright red seeds, (California Magnolia Tree) and finally took some berries and leaves from a bush outside my front door! I took the pictures with my Canon 6D but I also snapped this image with my new iphone 5 to send greetings to my family.

iphoto_photo_bg700.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Colors in Los Angeles

iPhone 5 original​

The iphone image prep boosted the b.g. color differences a tad, (well perhaps more than that), and I decided to accept that. Otherwise it's just the camera jpg with one label on an orange cloned out. Next I used Topaz' brilliantly capable Simplify plug in filter to do a controlled simplification of the surfaces of the elements of the composition.

iphoto_photo_bg Topzsimplify_700.jpg

Topaz Simplify

iphotoscreenapt_Topaz_restyle_700.jpg

Topaz Restyle

This filter adds some different sets of hues to provide a change in mood or associations. Here I've used some pastel colors.

Lastly I used the Nik Plug in for Photoshop Silver FX Pro to make a B&W presentation. (I tried also in PS with their B&W option, but it was not as effective.)

iphoto_photoSliverFXBandW_700.jpg

NIK Silver FX Pro

I hope you don't mind my wallowing in fall colors. I guess it's sentimentality for the East Coast seasonal changes. So here, we consider any example as a treasure.

Asher

Almost 18 months ago, we had a flood which ruined our kitchen. Now it's boasting two brand new tall windows to let in the morning light!

_MG_4946.jpg

Asher Kelman: New Windows Installed to get Morning light!

Canon 6D​

I removed fruit and squash from my black stoneware bowl to rinse it and then realized that with my new countertop by the window, I could photograph the autumn colors on a b.g. of white. Also, since there are two tall new windows side by side, there will be a drop in light in the center which will be interesting.

So I started with the fruit and went next door to the abandoned house and stole some fallen cones with bright red seeds, (California Magnolia Tree) and finally took some berries and leaves from a bush outside my front door! I took the pictures with my Canon 6D but I also snapped this image with my new iphone 5 to send greetings to my family.

iphoto_photo_bg700.jpg

iPhone 5 original​

The iphone image prep boosted the b.g. color differences a tad, (well perhaps more than that), and I decided to accept that. Otherwise it's just the camera jpg with one label on an orange cloned out. Next I used Topaz' brilliantly capable Simplify plug in filter to do a controlled simplification of the surfaces of the elements of the composition.

iphoto_photo_bg Topzsimplify_700.jpg

Topaz Simplify

iphotoscreenapt_Topaz_restyle_700.jpg

Topaz Restyle

This filter adds some different sets of hues to provide a change in mood or associations. Here I've used some pastel colors.

Lastly I used the Nik Plug in for Photoshop Silver FX Pro to make a B&W presentation. (I tried also in PS with their B&W option, but it was not as effective.)

iphoto_photoSliverFXBandW_700.jpg

NIK Silver FX Pro

I hope you don't mind my wallowing in fall colors. I guess it's sentimentality for the East Coast seasonal changes. So here, we consider any example as a treasure.

Asher

Asher, I love this composition; Very creative. The leaves and little cones and berries are really gorgeous. The topaz simplify gives the piece a lot of depth and great richness of color while the restyle makes it feel like those old botanical prints. It's incredible how starting with a really good composition, how an image can take on whole different feelings and flavors depending on how we treat them once they are made. Isn't it great to experiment and explore. Beautiful work, Asher!

Asher Kelman

James, Maggie and Robert,

I'm so surprised that the making and sharing of this prettiness gave me so much pleasure and yet I felt guilt as it might fall short as a photograph. It's so kind of you not to just label my work as merely "postcard pretty". Is this really "photography" to be respected? I admit that I've never, to my recollection, made "botanical illustration-like images", like this. It's of a kind one might see one the landing of a New England hotel opposite the elevators: a beautiful print in a gold inlayed frame, made to look 80 years old or more.

My defense is that I'm impulsive in art and just had to fit the colors and shapes together. It does, as has been suggested, show that composition once devised can be then painted any way one wishes! The reverse is not true. A stunning color picture can occasionally fail as a B&W image where color is the principal seductive component.

Asher

James Lemon

iphoto_photo_bg700.jpg

iPhone 5 original​

The diagonal lines are dynamic. A perfect design!

I'm so surprised that the making and sharing of this prettiness gave me so much pleasure and yet I felt guilt as it might fall short as a photograph. It's so kind of you not to just label my work as merely "postcard pretty". Is this really "photography" to be respected? I admit that I've never, to my recollection, made "botanical illustration-like images", like this. It's of a kind one might see one the landing of a New England hotel opposite the elevators: a beautiful print in a gold inlayed frame, made to look 80 years old or more.

My defense is that I'm impulsive in art and just had to fit the colors and shapes together. It does, as has been suggested, show that composition once devised can be then painted any way one wishes! The reverse is not true. A stunning color picture can occasionally fail as a B&W image where color is the principal seductive component.

Asher

I'm a little comfused, Asher; why would it be less of a photograph than you placing a model on a bed and composing it? Are van Gogh's sunflowers less artistic than his potato eaters? If so, I should surely never post another photo here. :p

Asher Kelman

I'm a little comfused, Asher; why would it be less of a photograph than you placing a model on a bed and composing it? Are van Gogh's sunflowers less artistic than his potato eaters? If so, I should surely never post another photo here. :p

Maggie,

You're exactly right! I unashamedly love this picture! :)

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I'm so surprised that the making and sharing of this prettiness gave me so much pleasure and yet I felt guilt as it might fall short as a photograph. It's so kind of you not to just label my work as merely "postcard pretty". Is this really "photography" to be respected?

Theodoros tells us that it is not photography at all, since it does not manifest (that I know of) as a paper print. But if you could run one print, that it would be a wholly different thing.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Theodoros tells us that it is not photography at all, since it does not manifest (that I know of) as a paper print. But if you could run one print, that it would be a wholly different thing.

Best regards,

Doug

Well, Doug,

Then there are several lessons here.

1. The contention by Maris Rusis from Australia, that a photograph has to be actually drawn directly by light, as in photosensitive film ***. So really, analog photography is the only true work earning that name.

2. But if, however, we recognize that recording the collection of electrons in discrete wells, or "sensels", (and then converting that to a signal which is subjected to extensive mathematical manipulation), is equivalent to capturing on film, now, in the "iPad-smart-phone" age, there's may not necessarily be ever a paper print to hold*****, then as Theodoros has asserted, we certainly do not have actual "photography".

However, here, in the 21st Century, as long as one can transmit, experience and feel the effects of the scene, then it's for sure a "photograph" in good standing! There will always be a distinguished place for genuine analog prints, but we've just expanded the menu for our viewers pleasure!

Asher

***A photon, or wave front) arrives and it's energy knocks out an electron which is captured by some chemical molecule. Or with fluorescent molecules, there might be even direct absorption of one wave length with emission at another to then do the work.

Merely adding some chemical, displays that change within the substrate of the coated surface, physical microscopic solid collections of material in proportion to the incoming flux of light.

*****Anyway, in the olden days, a picture could be made on metal or even coated wood! Then came plastic "paper" for commercial printing and now the LCD screen of a smart phone can be the finished presentation! That's evolution.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

I'm sorry for chiming in this late, I've been following this thread with great interest.

Coincidentally, I was talking with another photographer on still life photography just the other day. I recognize your initial doubts whether it really is photography or not. Photography is real as long as you decide on composing your image, deciding on your exposure/lighting and press the shutter and post process the resulting image. The choice of subject doesn't change any of that, does it?

Anyway, your initial picture was great but the second composition is even greater. Very balanced and attractive, you've got a talent for that. Perhaps you should do more still life photography. :)

Hi, Asher,

Best regards,

Doug
Couldn't it still be photography and the paper-printed rendition be the photograph?
:)
/just poking a bit of fun.
cheers,
maggie