• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Strolling in Amsterdam

Jerome Marot

Nice images. There are too many for me to comment them individually, so I'll just say that the new camera appears to work. ;)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

...This picture is interesting for a number of reasons the least of which is that it appears to be a pretty wide angle. What are you shooting with in this series? Rather bold to add modern decorative interior structure to a building with so much classical design.
As I wrote at the beginning of the thread, I have used the 28-70mm kit lens. So this frame is shot at 28mm.
This is the pedestrian/bike tunnel underneath the famous Rijksmuseum. The arch of lights and the bikes are a part of a temporary art installation. Corresponding bikes on each side race against each other and the lights above change/shift in accordance.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting support of art. That's one of the jobs of big cities. It really adds to quality of life but saying the city is really alive. It's as if the city is smiling at us.

I wonder about other areas of Amsterdam. Have you looked at Charlie's stealth work in East Los Angeles. It's a pretty tough neighborhood. The police response for a domestic dispute could be an hour! If a cop is shot it would be all of 2 minutes or less! Are there such, perhaps mostly immigrant neighborhoods, in Amsterdam, where the services are less and the risks are higher but most of the folk are really working hard to support their families?

Or is Amsterdam really much more homogenous and these services and comfort more evenly spread and you have no equivalent areas where you would not wish to stroll with a camera?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

....I wonder about other areas of Amsterdam. Have you looked at Charlie's stealth work in East Los Angeles. It's a pretty tough neighborhood. The police response for a domestic dispute could be an hour! If a cop is shot it would be all of 2 minutes or less! Are there such, perhaps mostly immigrant neighborhoods, in Amsterdam, where the services are less and the risks are higher but most of the folk are really working hard to support their families?

Or is Amsterdam really much more homogenous and these services and comfort more evenly spread and you have no equivalent areas where you would not wish to stroll with a camera...
I don't want to turn this thread into a political or controversial one Asher. Nevertheless, a short answer: more likely the latter. The only places I would not want to stroll with a camera are photographically uninteresting ones, regardless of their inhabitants.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't want to turn this thread into a political or controversial one Asher. Nevertheless, a short answer: more likely the latter. The only places I would not want to stroll with a camera are photographically uninteresting ones, regardless of their inhabitants.

I don't see it as controversial, thus far, at least, Cem! Your work shows folk with very little cares and relaxed. Of course,, they have large burdens of everyday life. Who hasn't? However, it does seem that the society is generally pretty open. Still, you're a wise fellow for having caution. "Fools rush in" where angels are more cautious!

Stil, both threads are very valuable contributions as id the work by Robert Watcher and Fahim in their travels. Through you various sets of eyes we get to know a lot more about the realities and possibilities of the human condition.

So enjoy the blessings of Amsterdam!

We're fortunate, all of us!

Asher