• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Superb River Traffic: Barges, River Boats, Night Cruises, Tugs, canoes, your best!

Brandon Cade

editsmall.jpg

San Marcos River: Texas State University's Old Main looking down on the glass bottom boats showing the beautiful crystal clear water and species that are in danger, which live there.​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
editsmall.jpg

San Marcos River: Texas State University's Old Main looking down on the glass bottom boats showing the beautiful crystal clear water and species that are in danger, which live there.​

This looks like it might be a view to some ancient European castle and to find it's n Texas is a surprse. Velvia in heat! I like the effect. The boat does what?

Asher

Brandon Cade

This looks like it might be a view to some ancient European castle and to find it's n Texas is a surprse. Velvia in heat! I like the effect. The boat does what?

Asher

Asher,

The boat floats across a small lake/river full of fish and endangered species, the bottom of the boat is glass so . The water is crystal clear because it is a natural spring. Down stream from this spring, they've tested the water to be three times cleaner than the US' EPA Standard for drinking water. It's perfect for divers and underwater photographers to train.

David J. Eves

Well I dunno if this is "my best" but.. .. It certainly caught my eye for "another purpose"!

umiaq2.jpg

Although I "like" the composition of this image - but surely something is sorely lacking - So; with a "few" clicks using the curve editor in Adobe; I transformed this ordinary photo into a color posterization "Painting"!!

The process of changing "any image" can be easily done as follows using this extremely simple process.

Open (any image) in photoshop - Open the curve editor. Click 7 times on that diagonal line. (its that simple).

curve01.jpg

curve02.jpg

Move the points (you created) UP & down and watch your image for the "miracle of colors"!

Move the points to their opposite extremes for completely different FX!!

curve03.jpg

umiaq3.jpg

A Big Hello Asher !!

Asher Kelman

David,

Usually we see the order in the opposite direction. Is this boat going to be recovered with a new skin?

Asher

David J. Eves

Yes. It is summer time - all skins on umiaq's are replaced (tradition) every other year - (chuckle) I've seen one umiaq that has had the same skin on it for almost 20 years !!!

ERNIE.jpg

Asher Kelman

Now that's a great boat! What skins do they use and what about the seams between skins and how do they get waterproofed?

Asher

David J. Eves

Now that's a great boat! What skins do they use and what about the seams between skins and how do they get waterproofed?

Asher

They use the skins from 6 Ugruk (bearded seals) They are the size of a snowmachine or snowmobile there-a-bouts. The skins are sewn together using sinew or dental floss. It is a simple zig zag waterproof type stitch.

Sewing skins is a messy - oily project that takes a few days time & involves many women working on it together.