• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Surrealist representation! Anything goes!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Oh, the golden ball is incredible! Wow.. very good!

Maggie,

This is where art sometimes gets very interesting.

The surreal can, at times, even test boundaries of our societal structures. Since it is all in code, there is no explicit speech that can be so easily censored

This behavior of ours, through creativity in viewable art, serves, (for those with open minds and active intellect), to recalibrate rules of discipline and conscience that we once thought were inviolate.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

thanks for your input and annotations.

Both pictures are ready-mades.
The golden ball is a christmastree-bal hanging on a tree and swinging quite intensly in stormy weather. The shot was done with the Fuji XF-10-24mm, postprocessing's final steps done with Photomorphis.

The connection is a piece of art seen at Liechtenstein Museum, Vaduz.

Hope you are not too much disappointed ...

Peter Dexter

I don't know if it's surreal or too real. A doorway in Bogotá.

39114596104_70e4882ed8_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi

thanks for your input and annotations.

Both pictures are ready-mades.
The golden ball is a christmastree-bal hanging on a tree and swinging quite intensly in stormy weather. The shot was done with the Fuji XF-10-24mm, postprocessing's final steps done with Photomorphis.

The connection is a piece of art seen at Liechtenstein Museum, Vaduz.

Hope you are not too much disappointed ...

How could I be disappointed. When you find a subject and make it your own art, you will get respect of others. either they will appreciate it or not. If they do it is ART!

So your work here made an impression on me. Humble origins are of no importance in what makes art. Art is simply the export of your ideas into a form that others can see.

These objects demanded your attention sufficient to frame and process them based on your mind, nothing else. When you put them out to the world, there is a risk that your personal art might not evoke anything but boredome in others. However in this case you scored big!

The two pictures are worhty of attention and revisiting.

If they were in a gallery, I would linger and them come back with my friends. That is the draw of art that "works".

Bravo!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi

another one ...

Not so!

This can't be just "...another one... as if you were picking up beads fallen from a cheap Childs necklace that fell apart, beads rolling under the couch!

Wolfgang,

Here you have the moon and an original stark construct of hills, a nude light painted, rocks, we do not know, but it's almost surreal. It's emerging and when it does this will be fabulous like a butterfly from a chrysalis. This is gentle, but it must be confrontational by adding that 3rd component that wakes us up!

You have piqued our interest and we had to stop! But then what?

Now slay us!

Asher

Asher Kelman

In some parts it looks like a naked body...

Nicely done Wolfgang ! :)

Exactly......

That is all true!

But there also must be stretched reality we cannot overlook.

Where has Wolfgang done that?

@ Wolfgang. Can you find a 3rd element that takes us to a version of reality that is absolutely beyond all our experience of what we know exists.

Ahow us the machine cogs and wheels inside the slain warrior, (of course that's a common catchy character in many movies), but at least, it's always a shock and surreal!

Remember in "Planet of the Apes" the movie, when the handsome survivors of man revealed themselves to their "deity", the Intercontinental Nuclear Missiles!

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

This is surreal in a very certain way.
The idea for the picture grew in my mind while shooting
the silhouette of a wellknown mountainrange near us (with a transmitterstation on the left hand), on the other side of the river Rhein while the moon was setting in the early evening.
The final picture is a combination of several layers in PS finished with masks.

Asher Kelman

Hi

This is surreal in a very certain way.
The idea for the picture grew in my mind while shooting
the silhouette of a wellknown mountainrange near us (with a transmitterstation on the left hand), on the other side of the river Rhein while the moon was setting in the early evening.
The final picture is a combination of several layers in PS finished with masks.

No question, Wolfgang that your picture is impressive, unique, creative and superbly executed.

You are commendable in your patience with me!

Listen to "Bird on the Wire" by late Canadian poet and singer, Leonard Cohen. Especially enjoy the words of the "woman in the darkened door"!

Asher

Asher Kelman

What an enjoyable creation you have made from just two elements. Is this recent?

It's light, simple and has no negative connotations, so I like it a lot!

Where did the face element come from?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fun theme.

Best regards
Michael

This works as it is not totally guided by rational thought but perhaps more by psychic impulsivity snd so the less common associations of what we see, now can be imagined.

Michael, I will make a list of what I think the associations are. Could you make your list after about 15 minutes, so I have wriitten my own ideas and sent them to myself. I would love to know what commonality there might be.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Per,

The idea is fabulous! No it's better called "brilliant and humorous! ? ?

It's a metaphor for fighting death!

But the early surrealists would now have a debate about allowing your picture into their salon. They would likely ask you when you came up with the title. If it was before you made the picture it might be argued that the picture was carved by your rational thought and therefore not surreal!

It has to be some "psychic eruption" not a result of logic or brilliant rationalism!

I often thought of stapling leaves back on to trees, as autumn would stay beautiful a little longer.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is something I did quite a few years ago. I may have already shared it here, not sure. I may have some more, but will have to dig a bit.

innocence1.jpg

Maggie,

This picture caught my eye, as it is made with your own colors! ....Then your response to a previous picture and I was distracted!

I'm happy to see this again and spend the time to take it in. How large was the made to be printed? Where did you get the elements form?

I like this as an original idea. It's impressive. I hope you might continue to develop this kind of image further with other related and unrelated elements, to make a fabulous series.

Asher

innocence1.jpg

Maggie,

This picture caught my eye, as it is made with your own colors! ....Then your response to a previous picture and I was distracted!

I'm happy to see this again and spend the time to take it in. How large was the made to be printed? Where did you get the elements form?

I like this as an original idea. It's impressive. I hope you might continue to develop this kind of image further with other related and unrelated elements, to make a fabulous series.

Asher

Hi Asher

The final image is only 24" x 36" and mostly because the bird was cropped out of an image I had taken and couldn't be made too big without really ruining the quality. I have only sold this item once and it was on metal. I think it might look good on acrylic too.

I have uploaded the elements I used to take this, obviously it's been a few years and I couldn't find the sky... it's just one of several I've taken through time. The birds is from the photo I have put at the top. The tree is one made from floral wire that I made and have also used in a couple other images of mine that I have included here. The small nest is just a xmas decoration but I liked the small size and have also shown where I have used it again in another image.

As for a series, I have done quite a few images in this style... I'll see, maybe one day, I'll share more of them. :) Maggie

innocenceelements.jpg

I hope these images give you a good idea of the elements used.