• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Texas Pete

Chris Calohan

Perhaps a cure for Covid...?

tex-pete-orig.jpg

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

Perhaps not. I grow chili plants (they were given to me and I find that killing plants which bear fruits brings bad karma, even if I find it somewhat difficult to eat the fruits myself). I wish I had a covid medicine factory at home!

092FC75D-4BE0-4A85-B90B-4C153DA1F711.jpeg

Jerome Marot

There is no a priori reason why spicy food would have health benefits. Chilies in particular have evolved their active principle, capsaicin, as a mean for their fruits to be eaten by birds. Birds are not sensitive to the effects of capsaicin. The original chili plants grow their fruits birds to be easier eaten by birds.

As to the reasons why capsaicin elicits a response similar to burn in our taste buds, one may find the following article interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5326624/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There is no a priori reason why spicy food would have health benefits. Chilies in particular have evolved their active principle, capsaicin, as a mean for their fruits to be eaten by birds. Birds are not sensitive to the effects of capsaicin. The original chili plants grow their fruits birds to be easier eaten by birds.

As to the reasons why capsaicin elicits a response similar to burn in our taste buds, one may find the following article interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5326624/
Jérôme,

Amazing reference! I am so grateful as this degree of scholarship was unknown when I was an active researcher!

2606D147-8784-422A-9DCD-2023CA64A401.jpeg

I am thrilled to be able to explore this amazing “transient receptor potential” vanilloid 1 (TRPV1)

Fabulous new universe of biochemical art forms!

Asher