• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Textbook pricing question

Paul Caldwell

What would others charge for useage on this type project?

Textbook cover front and back, 22" in width both covers. One image, printing run between 5000 to 8000 all at one time.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
HI Paul,

Congratulations on the assignment. Will they have any reference to you about the photographer and contact info? How much will the book sell for? How strongly do they want your book. Is this expected to have new editions or is this on the come without certain market. Would they have exluisive rights?

Notwithstanding this clarifications, I'd say that at a minimal $500, at merely $1:00 per copy. Although if this is a well regarded book and they will print your picture beautifully with credits, so they have a sense of esthetics and perofessionalism up to $1600 seem fair.

Also look at how mjuch you would charge for say a 16x10 print in a series of say 7-15 and then you might get a range of your own worth that you have already find comfortable.

I hope this might be useful and good luck. What's the book about? I'll look out for it!

That would make a nice short article: the book cover market!

Asher

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Approximately $900 - $1,200 would be the range for a wrap-cover type of textbook application of a stock image. YIMV.

Paul Caldwell

Thank all

That was an interesting experience. They actually offered considerly less than Ken's amount, however I went ahead and took it.

It will be a State History Textbook, 5000 copies. They didn't ask for excusive rights just a usage rights.

I was caught off guard without any idea on how much to charge as I have never had this type of opportunity.

Thanks for the help

Paul C.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well Paul,

The nice thing is they didn't demand exclusive rights! My bracket as $500 to 1600 which was maybe a bit loose but for just 5,000 copies, it makes sense. More than my minimum, less than Ken's.

The great thing is they will come back to you again!

Asher