• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Graffiti Aesthetic...to appreciate or not to appreciate?

Paul Abbott

I noticed this large mural on the last leg of my walk through the city of London today...

I don't like to photograph graffiti just for it's own sake, after all i'm just framing someone else's artwork! Although, I do like to combine it with some contrasts or to juxtapose it with something else, thereby proclaiming my own vision. In this way it becomes the same kind of practice and combination that is involved with any other genre of photography I guess...

Anyway, it occurred to me that graffiti like this is there for the taking. I photographed this because it was so appealing and it was presented in a great and clean way. Also, I could see it large on my wall, and valid just like any other picture. It looks like ink & acrylic on board...:)
I know that this piece of graffiti will soon be defaced like all others and that's a shame...so I have rescued it for all time now, it is mine and will soon be on my wall above the fireplace, that's for sure...:)

Anyway, this was shot using the RICOH GR once again and I used the 'Positive Film' effect. No post-processing has been applied to this JPEG, other than slight sharpening...

Untitled, London '13 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I noticed this large mural on the last leg of my walk through the city of London today...

I don't like to photograph graffiti just for it's own sake, after all i'm just framing someone else's artwork! Although, I do like to combine it with some contrasts or to juxtapose it with something else, thereby proclaiming my own vision. In this way it becomes the same kind of practice and combination that is involved with any other genre of photography I guess...

Anyway, it occurred to me that graffiti like this is there for the taking. I photographed this because it was so appealing and it was presented in a great and clean way. Also, I could see it large on my wall, and valid just like any other picture. It looks like ink & acrylic on board...:)
I know that this piece of graffiti will soon be defaced like all others and that's a shame...so I have rescued it for all time now, it is mine and will soon be on my wall above the fireplace, that's for sure...:)

Anyway, this was shot using the RICOH GR once again and I used the 'Positive Film' effect. No post-processing has been applied to this JPEG, other than slight sharpening...

Untitled, London '13 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

I agree it's remarkable and merits saving. :) What a lucky find to see it so pristine!

Do you think that the drawings in blacks and blue grays to the upper and outer sides, that look so "Braque-ian", could be the very same artist?

Asher

Paul Abbott

For what it's worth, I guess the framed parts of the scene are by the same artist or she maybe working in conjunction with another artist. Anyway, the grey colour looks like the same shade used all over...

Regards...

Michael Nagel

This is worth a picture!

Photographing graffiti is - for me - documenting art which is on the verge to disappear, painted over or replaced by different art.
Not all graffiti does fit my definition of worth documenting, but this certainly does. Thanks for photographing and showing!

Michael