• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Hideout

Dwayne Oakes

Thanks for taking a look !

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes

p633128066-4.jpg

This is a different, unique type of image, and I like it. It has a 'dreamlike' quality which gets my attention. It seems to violate various 'rules' of photography, where the apparent subject is shadowed, and the background is much brighter. But it seems to work on some level.

Any other thoughts on this image? I'd be interested to hear others' reactions.

Hi,

I like very much the subtile composition, with this quite hidden subject. Picture is delicate and full of poetry. But - yes, there's a "but" - i don't really like the general digital treatment which seems to want to imitate drawing or painting... I would prefer a more natural rendering.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p633128066-4.jpg

Dwayne Oakes The Hideout

Hi Dwayne,

Don and Cedric have already voiced my own immediate reactions. You picture has a delicate poetic sensibility and is disobedient to expectations. The bird is hidden, but you covered that with your subject by calling it "The Hideout" so you are one step ahead of us.

Yes, I do like the "effect". Divorced from out knowledge of filter kits this picture is exceptional. However, suspicion that this "Van Goghian" effect on the grass might be achieved by one click is at the back of one's mind. Nevertheless, the conveyance of mood and feelings and provision of a bare scaffolding for out own thoughts are undeniable.

I'd wonder whether we should simply discard misgivings because of the result or else perhaps some evidence of your own fingerprints in painting this effect to the benefit of the motif would be advantageous.

Thanks for bringing us this wonderful conundrum!

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Rather than comment on this one, I'd much rather read how you feel about it. What do you like about it? What motivated your treatment? You've not offered much insight into your vision.

Dwayne Oakes

Thank you very much for the comments on this one ! The natural world is a world of wonder
and beauty, she also does an amazing job at camouflage and concealment. The vision here is to
show this concelment as the average passerby would most likely walked right by and not
even noticed this deer.

As far as the soft-focus look goes. It is more of a signature look to separate my self from
the sea of artists out there. A photo style I guess you could say. This effect also seems to lend
it self well to the wonder of the natural world. The background (reeds) is a result of shallow DOF and the soft-focus effect.
Thanks again, great insight on this forum !

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Using global values in processing or just painting with it according to the content?

The vision here is to show this concelment as the average passerby would most likely walked right by and not even noticed this deer.
I must admit, on first glance, I saw just a bird on the branch and below it was taken as more tree trunks. If the deer gets that extra several seconds, it can stay alive much longer. I like your work with the mid tones to provide this delicate effect. Still, I wonder whether you might consider any value in locally modulating this instead of using global values.

I almost always use a mask, (and different intensity grey to black brushes), to allow through varying proportions of the original. This may not apply with your uniform and simple motif of water reeds in the tonalities you are altering.

Asher

Dwayne Oakes

I must admit, on first glance, I saw just a bird on the branch and below it was taken as more tree trunks. If the deer gets that extra several seconds, it can stay alive much longer. I like your work with the mid tones to provide this delicate effect. Still, I wonder whether you might consider any value in locally modulating this instead of using global values.

I almost always use a mask, (and different intensity grey to black brushes), to allow through varying proportions of the original. This may not apply with your uniform and simple motif of water reeds in the tonalities you are altering.

Asher

Thanks Asher ! good points.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes