• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The 32-64 has been my wonder lens for several years. It’s superbly sharp with wonderful color and contrast. It’s one of the best ever Fuji lenses.

Here I am using the lightweight fast focusing 50mm 3.5 OIS.

I am also upgraded to the GFX 100S which has built in image stabilization and modern phase and contrast autofocus.

971D6DCE-A435-4085-9B10-B96890A913B1.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Laura with Dried Grass & Leaves
GFX 100s, 50mm 3.5 OIS
JPG Fine Processed in Adobe Camera RAW
Portrait Professional Skin Lighting But No Sculpting

I am pleased with the rich colors. Here I have just restarted my studio after Covid shutdown for two years. It was time to upgrade my lights as much of my Lumedyne packs were now no longer functional.

At Will Thompson’s recommendation I changed most of my lights to Godox and reserve the remaining functioning Vintage Lumedyne for hair light, rim light aimed behind the subject and lights for the background.

Comments welcome!

Asher

Jerome Marot

It is a nice image and I like the contrast between the geometry for the floor and plant support with the model. Due to the relatively short focal length of the lens, the perspective is enhanced so that the model's foot and leg are given more prominence than her head. The impression is a bit puzzling, because we are not used to this kind of perspective exaggeration and there is no apparent intent for the choice of perspective.

But is is a great start and I feel that there may be a road to be explored there. You may want to try a series in the same geometrical setting and have the model try different poses to accentuate the contrast even more. That will be interesting.

Asher Kelman

It is a nice image and I like the contrast between the geometry for the floor and plant support with the model. Due to the relatively short focal length of the lens, the perspective is enhanced so that the model's foot and leg are given more prominence than her head. The impression is a bit puzzling, because we are not used to this kind of perspective exaggeration and there is no apparent intent for the choice of perspective.

But is is a great start and I feel that there may be a road to be explored there. You may want to try a series in the same geometrical setting and have the model try different poses to accentuate the contrast even more. That will be interesting.
Thanks so much for the visit and the helpful thoughts!

I have to go back and determine what focal lengths I have been using for portraits with the Fuji 32-64 mm.

Remember to get the sense of perspective we are used to in “full frame” 35 mm format we multiply by .79. So the 50mm acts like a 40mm.

It could be that the receding convergence of the black and white pattern of the floor Enhances our perception and exaggerates for our experience of the obvious optical distortion of the legs!

Thanks for challenging me!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Nice shot, and very attractive model.

The "unusual" perspective Jérôme mentions of course does not come from the small focal length of the lens per se but rather from the relatively-short distance from the camera to the scene. Admittedly, with a smaller focal length lens we are likely to want to be closer to the scene or, conversely, if for some reason we want to have a relatively small distance from the camera to the scene we are likely to choose a small focal length to get the needed field of view.

But I think it is important that we don't think of the "perspective" as being a creature of lens focal length.

Indeed I think the checkerboard floor helps us to understand that this is not a girl with unuslly large feet.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Nice shot, and very attractive model.

The "unusual" perspective Jérôme mentions of course does not come from the small focal length of the lens per se but rather from the relatively-short distance from the camera to the scene. Admittedly, with a smaller focal length lens we are likely to want to be closer to the scene or, conversely, if for some reason we want to have a relatively small distance from the camera to the scene we are likely to choose a small focal length to get the needed field of view.

But I think it is important that we don't think of the "perspective" as being a creature of lens focal length.

Indeed I think the checkerboard floor helps us to understand that this is not a girl with unuslly large feet.

Best regards,

Doug
Doug,

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Still, Jérôme stimulates us to think also the thr geometric and patterned environment in modulating our experience.

Asher

Asher The girl and the set up is very cool but the first thing I noticed as Jerome and Doug did, where that her legs seems quite big compared to her body, and her foot seemed even more gigantic. Even though as Doug says the checkerboard tells us her feet are not that big,
it would be the first thing anyone notices. I hope you have other shots with her or the opportunity to do more, as she seems quite casual and relaxed. :) Maggie

Asher Kelman

Asher The girl and the set up is very cool but the first thing I noticed as Jerome and Doug did, where that her legs seems quite big compared to her body, and her foot seemed even more gigantic. Even though as Doug says the checkerboard tells us her feet are not that big,
it would be the first thing anyone notices. I hope you have other shots with her or the opportunity to do more, as she seems quite casual and relaxed. :) Maggie
I actually like the obvious perspective distortion of proportions.

But this is normal to our vision, from the distance,

….. but not when viewed flat as a 2D image of a 3D world, emphasized by the receding lines of the floor!

Asher

I actually like the obvious perspective distortion of proportions.

But this is normal to our vision, from the distance,

….. but not when viewed flat as a 2D image of a 3D world, emphasized by the receding lines of the floor!

Asher
I Was just giving my opinion, and not meaning to to insult you. As the artist, you can obviously do what as you like. I should have refrained.

Asher Kelman

I Was just giving my opinion, and not meaning to to insult you. As the artist, you can obviously do what as you like. I should have refrained.
Maggie,

I welcome a range of true reactions and your are as valid as mine.

No artist can or should attempt control the minds of his/her audience. That would defeat the magic of art where the work is free to meet and greet all and sundry!

Asher

The 32-64 has been my wonder lens for several years. It’s superbly sharp with wonderful color and contrast. It’s one of the best ever Fuji lenses.

Here I am using the lightweight fast focusing 50mm 3.5 OIS.

I am also upgraded to the GFX 100S which has built in image stabilization and modern phase and contrast autofocus.

View attachment 9214

Asher Kelman: Laura with Dried Grass & Leaves
GFX 100s, 50mm 3.5 OIS
JPG Fine Processed in Adobe Camera RAW
Portrait Professional Skin Lighting But No Sculpting

I am pleased with the rich colors. Here I have just restarted my studio after Covid shutdown for two years. It was time to upgrade my lights as much of my Lumedyne packs were now no longer functional.

At Will Thompson’s recommendation I changed most of my lights to Godox and reserve the remaining functioning Vintage Lumedyne for hair light, rim light aimed behind the subject and lights for the background.

Comments welcome!

Asher
It's a lovely picture, and I like how the model contrasts with the geometry of the floor and the plant support. That's great to hear that you have been enjoying the Fujifilm 32-64mm lens for several years. It is known for its excellent sharpness, color, and contrast, and is considered one of the best lenses from Fuji film.
Overall, it sounds like you have a great setup for your photography needs. If you have any specific questions or concerns about your gear or product photography techniques, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to assist you!

Asher Kelman

It's a lovely picture, and I like how the model contrasts with the geometry of the floor and the plant support. That's great to hear that you have been enjoying the Fujifilm 32-64mm lens for several years. It is known for its excellent sharpness, color, and contrast, and is considered one of the best lenses from Fuji film.
Kind comments!

Thank you!

Observed up close, the perspective is normal. I just photographed her at close distance for effect. I should, (in retrospect), have provided a mist or series of objects between her and the background to add to the perceived depth.
Overall, it sounds like you have a great setup for your photography needs. If you have any specific questions or concerns about your gear or product photography techniques, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to assist you!
From your well-crafted website and effective product shots, you do indeed have a lot to offer in shooting for commerce.

You should therefore add your link back to your website in your signature.

But you are expected to provide your given First & Last name as that’s how we operate, “as if guests in each other’s home”!

Asher