• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Theme: “Still Life” from the kitchen!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love the early morning southern light from the tall windows I installed in our kitchen.

There was just a solitary lemon out so I found some garlic and the remainder of a lime and a silver tray to hold them together.

Asher Kelman: “Garlic & Friends”

You’re invited to add your own and feel free to comment!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Again with “Southern Morning Light” from my specially built new window,

Asher Kelman: Citrus, Ginger and Garlic!
IPhone Xs Max

Your own additions, welcomed! ?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nice... looks peaceful.

Thanks, James,

I took pains to design the shape of the windows to be tall and elegant to catch the Southern light in thr morning. It was so worth the effort and each time Wendy changes the flowers and fruits I document it.

So it’s also a relationship to both the house and our marriage!

Asher

Asher Kelman

By chance by the mid morning light, a transient reflection in a wine decanter!

Asher Kelman: “Three Red Vases reflected”

With my iPhone XS Max. I rushed to get my Fuji GFX but then the image was gone!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now with the Fuji GFX instead of the iPhone:

Asher Kelman: “Three Red Vases reflected by Window Light”

Fuji GXR

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Thanks Don,

I love the batch of birds and wildlife by Doug Herr, Peter Dexter, Don Ferguson, Cris Calohan et al!

But at lease in my kitchen I can hunt and don’t need license and a long lens, for which I have only envy and lust!

When I have catalogs implemented, you will have easier access to their stellar contributions!

Meanwhile, consider this a kind pointer for your explorations of riches that could have been buried with new posts!

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Now with the Fuji GFX instead of the iPhone:

View attachment 1990

Asher Kelman: “Three Red Vases reflected by Window Light”

Fuji GXR

Asher
Garde ton iPhone pour téléphoner ou prendre des notes photographiques, pour les photos utilise ton Fuji GFX (quel modèle as-tu d'ailleurs ?) il est bien meilleur !
Très belle photo mais je ne sais pas si la dominante magenta ne devrait pas tirer un plus vers le rouge (plus de jaune) ;) Peut-être parce que tu as voulu trop dégager les ombres? De ce point de vue, la "version" iPhone est plus artistique…

Asher Kelman

It’s so funny!

Damn! I knew I wouldn’t get away with it! You are far too smart with colors!

I got a color shift after Topaz denoise. I had processed in layers different parts. By the window, the metal mesh in the window screens causes a shadow that the fine lens picks up as a regular repeat and there is very strong repeat Moiré waves of shadow repeats that in his case I had to hide with a blur before reduction in size.

I was ill with the flu, coughing m all night with added bronchitis fever and had to leave for an urgent doctors appointment! So I did the best I could in the time I had in reproducing the reflection effect with the simple iPhone, far away from the window where the shadows from the screen had blurred and become smoother!

The mistake was in using a lens that can resolve the fine repeats and therefore get the moiré that I tried to remove for the very first time in my life, by hand!

“....and the cat ate my homework!”

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks Nicolas,

Asher Kelman: 3 Vases in Moire Reflected in Decanter
Thanks to Nicolas Claris for processing in LR & PS CC 2019

Notice I have used only selective sharpening applied just to the vase and highlights of the three vases, so as to deemphasize the moiré.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks Nicolas,

View attachment 2000

Asher Kelman: 3 Vases in Moire Reflected in Decanter
Thanks to Nicolas Claris for processing in LR & PS CC 2019

Notice I have used only selective sharpening applied just to the vase and highlights of the three vases, so as to deemphasize the moiré.

Asher

C'était intéressant de travailler un fichier raw d'Asher… :) Un honneur !

En ce qui concerne le moiré, il est tellement présent dans ce cliché que j'ai cru que c'était la structure des vases !
Je n'aurais pas pu imaginer que ce soit du moiré, sachant que le Fuji GFX utilise le même capteur Sony que le Pentax 645Z…
Je n'aurais jamais eu un tel moiré avec le Pentax qui pourtant n'a pas lui non plus de filtre anti-moiré…
Comme quoi, le travail des ingénieurs et informaticiens de chaque marque d'appareil est vraiment crucial !
Lorsque l'on veut acheter un nouveau boîtier, il ne suffit pas de comparer les capteurs, mais aussi de quelle manière(s) ils sont mis à profit…

Asher Kelman

I need to photograph cloths and boats for you with the camera. The shadow of the fine window mesh is unique in that it is perfectly contrasted at maximum black versus bright.

The camera was using a small aperture and so the fine lens is able to capture the interference with the edges of the aperture blades and hence the waves.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I saw a tiny dried leaf on the kitchen floor blown in from the open door.

Asher Kelman: “Untitled”
September 18th 2019

Why it had to be rescued? I do not know. So I had to create this purpose. Hence the picture!

Decades ago, my brother fed, drop by drop, juice, to rescue a limbless destitute man, gasping in a Bombay gutter. A self-appointed leader of a hostile crowd that gathered, demanded, “What will you do with him now, take him back to your hotel room on a leash?”

Asher