• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Trains Above!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In big cities and in the countryside, trains clatter past on some impressive structures. In Chicago, the inner city trains are part of the expected thunder of the atmosphere. If it went silent one would notice one's heartbeat instead!

_MG_1042 TrainonronBridgeChicago.jpg

Asher Kelman Chicago 2009: Train Above us!

So, what do these iron sky beasts look like above you in your cities and countryside?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
We have no skytrain in Bordeaux, but I loved the train station designed by Rem Koolhaas near Chicago (close to Mc Cormick Campus if I remember correctly):
1980_Rem%20Koolhaas.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yes Asher and quite contrasty with the "Loop"!

We found that the loop was one of the best way for foreigners to have a glance at the so different architectures in Chicago.

Inside "the loop", watching the Chicago city:

1908_Tour_in_the_El.jpg

I am sure that Ken has beautifull images of that train, its tracks and stations…

Ken, are you there?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hey, you guys are giving me the creeps...you're in my neighborhood! ;-) Nice shots, guys.

Here in downtown Chicago the "El", as it's called, is an elevated portion of the Chicago Transit Authority's train system that does make a "loop" around the central-most section of the downtown biz district.

Asher's image is taken along Wabash Avenue roughly between Madison and Monroe. That particular area is most noted for being crammed with jewelers and doctors.

Nicolas' first image is indeed of the CTA station designed by celebrity architect Rem Koolhaas as part of the redevelopment of the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) campus south of the loop area. IIT may be best known as the school where famed architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe taught and where he designed the campus' original master plan and many of its famed modernist buildings in the 1950's.

His second image is taken from an El car near the Chicago Public Library station along the south edge of the "loop" at State and Van Buren streets. That's Chicago's main library building, known as the Harold Washington Library, that you see out the window.

I've lived with that El, and the CTA, nearly all of my life. Asher's image is approximately four blocks from my home. I know I have many, many images of the el, particularly of that Wabash run. Here's one from 2006 looking east along Washington Street towards the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.

70298660.jpg

Here's a shot of the El and Wabash on a cold, dreary winter day from approximately across the street of Asher's image. This is pretty much how the street and El feel to me year-round in all weather.

39997379.jpg

Wabash is very much a street in constant transition under that El. The 1981 film "Thief" starring James Caan has several terrific sequences shot around the el tracks along Wabash. Few of the great shops and restaurants shown in that film still exist, as central Wabash is trying to find a new identity. But there are still some colorful, although somewhat artificial, vestiges of the street life as it exited 40-50 years ago under those tracks. This newsstand is a good example.

73208220.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Lucky guy has glass/plastic in front of him against the weather.

73208220.jpg

Ken Tanaka Wabash News Stand

Ken,

I wonder about the open Pritzger stage? Does a huge wall or curtain come down, or what? After all the inside is covered in beautiful wood!

Asher

Great urban views!

Railroad structures in the sticks are usually more humble.

111910150.jpg

An abandoned trestle over the track paralleling the Illinois River, and the old I&M canal. There is no easy way to climb this old thing, so the local "artists" must have used ladders. The place is seldom seen by the public, so it's hard to understand why anyone would bother to make such an effort.

Tom

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ken,

Hey, you guys are giving me the creeps...you're in my neighborhood! ;-) Nice shots, guys.

Here in downtown Chicago the "El", as it's called, is an elevated portion of the Chicago Transit Authority's train system that does make a "loop" around the central-most section of the downtown biz district.

And thus the name for that part of the city: "The Loop".

Thanks for your great background information.

Best regards,

Doug

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Lucky guy has glass/plastic in front of him against the weather.

Ken,

I wonder about the open Pritzger stage? Does a huge wall or curtain come down, or what? After all the inside is covered in beautiful wood!

Asher

Yes, indeed. When the Pavilion is not in use for a concert enormous glass doors enclose the stage cavity, as you can see here. The stage space is rented out for private functions, too.

No offense to anyone on here, But I would rather live in a quite town any day of the week. it is bad enough that I have to listen to 60 freight trains a day here in my town.
all of you are making me feel like doing a small trip to get more photo of trains and the tracks.

great photo's everyone.

Rod Snaith

The place is seldom seen by the public, so it's hard to understand why anyone would bother to make such an effort.

I expect if you were part of the younger crowd who did the "artwork", you may frequent that area more. I say this because as a teenager growing up in a small town, I hung off the CPR bridge over the Saskatchewan River and "expressed myself".

Nice pics of bridges. I think I'll head over to the CPR bridge and maybe take a couple shots with feet on ground this time. :)