• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tricolored Heron

I visited one of my favorite places today, the Brazos Bend State Park outside of Houston, Texas. It's a beautiful park just full of alligators, birds of all sorts, and beautiful, swampy scenery. I happened upon this tricolored heron during his lunchtime hunt. He was amazing to watch and fun to photograph. I only have a 70-300mm zoom so for me to get a good shot takes the target being fairly close. This guy obliged and spent a good half hour fishing diligently and quite successfully while not even paying any attention to me or the number of other photographers watching. He would spread his wings apparently to put a shadow in the water so he could see better underneath it. He was catching fish with just about every try. He was even snatching dragonflys off of reeds whenever he saw one. I'm still working on my abilities to get sharper images and it's starting to pay off. Still a ways to go but definitely heading in the right direction.
DSC_5422.jpg

DSC_5431.jpg

Josh Liechty

I like your heron photos more than a standard static bird shot because they show a unique and interesting behavior that I'd never seen before. Thanks for sharing them with us... your focusing seems to be fine (from all I can see at web resolution).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James, your observations on the behavior of getting a shadow over the water is fascinating. I wonder whether perhaps the fish are also attracted to the shade.

I like the picture with the neck plumage so evident.

Asher

Nice action shots, James. Looks like this individual is developing its breeding plumage, which always adds to their visual appeal. I have also been fascinated by their "shading" behavior, which is also seen in other herons as well.

If you have a chance to see some Reddish Egrets feeding, it is a sight to behold!

One suggestion on these shots is to see if it's possible to get a lower viewing angle, so that you're more on "their" level. This may or may not be possible, as physical limitations may get in the way, but keep it in mind when shooting birds (or other wildlife). Getting at their eye level often makes for a more 'intimate' shot, and can also help improve the background.

Keep on shooting!

I have only been shooting a few months and this was the first time I had seen a heron behaving like this. It was really fun to watch. If only I were a fraction as good at fishing as they are I would have it made. Thank you too Don. Yes, not getting down lower is just another of the things I keep seeming to forget in the heat of the action. I was up on a walkway (trail) that is between water on both sides so they are about 5 feet below anyway but I was also using my tripod so I could have gotten down another 4 or 5 feet from where these were shot. I will try and remember that next time.