• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Updated my Workspace

Robert Watcher

I took the leap.

For 8 years I’ve been pushing my 13” MacBook Air to the MAX With all my travels through Central America. With all the work I have being home with the Pandemic - and the encouraging reports on the new Mac Mini M1 - - - I placed my order on Friday, and FedEx delivered it to my door today. I had no keyboard or mouse and so decided on the Logitech MX series from Best Buy. Those as well came by Purolator this morning.

My son had an old wired keyboard and mouse thankfully, as it wasn’t made clear that I wouldn’t be able to set up the Mac Mini with my Bluetooth gear. I dropped by and picked those up on his doorstep.

Here I am running my iPad using Sidecar as a second monitor to my 27” Samsung. It is a breeze to connect. My Anchor powered USB Hub with my 6 - 4TB portable hard drives gives me the space and backup for all of my working files.

67B60B91-23E0-447F-8BA5-C4CF13BF3038.jpeg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have often been impressed with the Nac Mini. One of the great advantages is a modern fast bus!

Explain “Sidecar”.

Can one move a file to the iPad to use Snapseed?

Asher

Robert Watcher

I have often been impressed with the Nac Mini. One of the great advantages is a modern fast bus!

Explain “Sidecar”.

Can one move a file to the iPad to use Snapseed?

Asher

for years I have wanted to get a Mac Mini, but a laptop proved more practical for travelling. This one is the new design released not long ago - using the Apple Silicon chip instead of Intel chips. There have rave reviews and comparisons with loaded MacBook Pros that cost thousands of dollars, where these base model machines were close to matching them in speed and ability. We’ll see. Although I really don’t care too much, as long as it can handle my normal workload.

the Sidecar feature simply lets you use an iPad as a second monitor. The iPad is being fed from the computer and is not working off of it’s iOS. Up until today, I have been using my 13” MacBook Air and the 27“ monitor together while working. I don’t know if I will use my iPad now, but wanted to see how it worked and how well it worked. It was very similar to my experience with my MacBook Air and separate monitor - only my iPad was connected wirelessly. I imagine that for ones who have the 12” ipad Pro, there wouldn’t be that much difference in screen size from the 13” MacBook - so it may even be a better experience.

Robert Watcher

The new Mac Mini setup does allow apps from the App Store that are designed for my iPad and iPhone. I just checked and Snapseed isn’t there. I noticed my iPad video editing software of choice - LumaFusion - and am downloading it right now, although I have heard that the experience on the desktop is not perfect. There are something that are hard to translate between different methods of input used in touch devices and desktop mouse integration.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for ploughing a road ahead for us with your experience in the Mac Mini! It seems like I might beat out my 2013 Grey Cylinder Mac Pro!

Asher

Cool set-up, Robert. I see you have a pretty substantial microphone; do you do a podcast or is it just for recording as I see the keyboard to the side.